TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

p. 61: Jewels of the Sea Jellyfish Experience coming in 2024!

I have not watched Blackfish, and have no desire to. I won't miss the orca shows , haven't seen one since I was a little kid and I understand the direction they are going in with a more "natural" display for a new generation.

I am kind of surprised that on a forum that frequently discusses the mythical aqua trax doesn't have much to say about the new Rescue coaster! It looks awesome in the art with a decent bunny hop and the potential of great theming. I imagine this will be a Mack creation given their success with Manta.

It will also be nice when they get a hotel, although I'm surprised they wouldn't add a second day experience like Aquatics or Discovery Cove first, maybe down the road...

I am kind of surprised that on a forum that frequently discusses the mythical aqua trax doesn't have much to say about the new Rescue coaster!

Even if we knew exactly what an AquaTrax was (which we don't), it likely isn't one. The rescue coaster looks like one of these...

...and the example in this photo is a jet ski coaster, called "Jet Rescue", in another park called Sea World (two words), unaffiliated with the SeaWorld parks in the US, making it either the biggest rip-off or the biggest coincidence in theme park history.

Ah yes, the Sea World in Australia has a tire-launched Intamin with a similar name. I do find it odd the two seem to have such a resemblance, I welcome any new coaster to any park and this one looks like it will be the right size for families, certainly ideal for Sea World.

This is not a change I can accept. SeaWorld needs to continue to fight. Seems like some people in this thread have been drinking the "Blackfish" kool-aid when you say, "This is a change I can accept".

Why does it have to be the 'blackfish' kool-aid and not the Sea World kool-aid that has allowed people to accept such a questionable practice as the norm for so many years?

I seriously struggle to comprehend how this is even a debate in 2015, excluding how you feel about the particular manipulations of the film which has brought this whole issue to the fore.

As long as the Orca's aren't gone for good I'm fine with it.

I don't need to see them put on a show.

What I am most concerned about and what I feel is most important, is the fact that people can see them in person, to appreciate what they are, how beautiful they can be, and that Sea World continues to take the money they get from sales to put it towards good causes like saving them from extinction, learning more about them, and growing the valuable aquatic ecosystems which allow all types of life to continue to exist.

I have never had an issue with Sea World. I think the liberal asshats like making the frontpages with absurd accusations. And yes, being in captivity affects any animal with an instinct to roam the planet as they please. However, like any park that has animals for us to observe, I feel like nobody truly understands or appreciates animals or nature until they are right there facing it, and Sea World provides a way for people to see sea life at an affordable price which allows people the chance to come up close and personal with them.

We can all watch videos or look at pictures on our smartphones or computers all day, but I don't think anybody really appreciates things until they see them in person. Not everyone can afford a 3 day whale watching tour, so going to Sea World for a day and spending a little money to see real animals up close is important.

Not to mention, as far as being an aquatic animal, being at Sea World is like the filet mignon. I'll always support the park and think it's important for people to be able to watch and observe animals up close so they grow not only an appreciation of animals, but wildlife in general. And I think Sea World does an amazing job at that.

As long as the Orca's aren't gone for good I'm fine with it.

I don't need to see them put on a show.

What I am most concerned about and what I feel is most important, is the fact that people can see them in person, to appreciate what they are, how beautiful they can be, and that Sea World continues to take the money they get from sales to put it towards good causes like saving them from extinction, learning more about them, and growing the valuable aquatic ecosystems which allow all types of life to continue to exist.

I have never had an issue with Sea World. I think the liberal asshats like making the frontpages with absurd accusations. And yes, being in captivity affects any animal with an instinct to roam the planet as they please. However, like any park that has animals for us to observe, I feel like nobody truly understands or appreciates animals or nature until they are right there facing it, and Sea World provides a way for people to see sea life at an affordable price which allows people the chance to come up close and personal with them.

We can all watch videos or look at pictures on our smartphones or computers all day, but I don't think anybody really appreciates things until they see them in person. Not everyone can afford a 3 day whale watching tour, so going to Sea World for a day and spending a little money to see real animals up close is important.

Not to mention, as far as being an aquatic animal, being at Sea World is like the filet mignon. I'll always support the park and think it's important for people to be able to watch and observe animals up close so they grow not only an appreciation of animals, but wildlife in general. And I think Sea World does an amazing job at that.

Totally agree, and SeaWorld agrees as well. This video came up on my wall today:

[fbvideonew]

[/fbvideonew]

I think this move will go through a growing period as families move from "Little Jimmy, wanna go get soaked by Shamu?" to "Little Jimmy, let's go appreciate the whales and learn about conservation." But zoos and aquariums are still very popular as I feel SeaWorld will continue to be with or without a whale show.

Ah, how I'll miss watching people getting splashed by Shamu's floating "chunks" as she zooms past. You win this time, PETA.

While I do believe this is the best choice in the long run, I can't help but think that this will also give more leverage to the animal rights extremists and unchecked eco-lobbyists in Sacramento. I feel as though Blackfish and other anti-zoological propaganda will ultimately be used as their "proof" that they're right, and I sincerely hope that SeaWorld is aware of this. And though this helps, I just can't shake this feeling that this might only be the beginning of a long stand-off between SeaWorld and the many rampant lobbies and groups wanting to take them down. Only time will tell, I guess.

Anyways, the partnerships are definitely interesting, and I think those rescue/conservation-themed rides will be great for burying the hatchet with skeptics, though I have no idea where they'd put them (given the space, I think it's inevitable that something is gonna be torn down). Dunno how an onsite hotel will work out, but if it's anything like what the LEGOLAND Hotel was up north, then they've got a winning strategy on their hands. I can see why you Dollywood/SDC guys loved Manby so much.

Huh. Guess now I have no choice but to hit the park sometime before 2016. For nostalgia's sake.

The Blue World project is a huge waste of money. Before being canned Atchison basically handed each park a $100 million project that they could have used on other new attractions and now it's illegal to breed whales in California. Sea World doesn't have Disney or Comcast money to be lobbying so much and spending $100 million on something that may not work out, for the sake of their business long term IMO they should just stop breeding and move on.

The way the proposed 'law' is written it indicates Orcas can't be bred for entertainment purposes, so, you adjust a few things, call it education, and presto! A better experience for all! I'm sure that wasn't the intent, but that's what the reality will be. So now California 'lawmakers' will have a nice struggle in their efforts to ban only orcas from breeding in captivity. It will now be a much tougher nut to crack now without shutting down all zoos, aquariums, and pet stores.

Yeah they pulled something similar with Journey to Atlantis, apparently the ride exceeded the 30 foot high limit for roller coasters as outlined by city law and they were like "Oh it's a water ride not a roller coaster." The ride got built and it's still running so they did something right!

But yeah I think given the circumstances with the state judiciary ruling routinely against them it's the best thing to do moving forward, I really can't wait for all this Blackfish BS to blow over...

You know that if they ever get SeaWorld to "get rid of their whales", whatever that means (all ways lead to the orca's death, which they'll undoubtedly blame on SeaWorld), they'll go after the dolphins next. Then the polar bears. The final goal of these people is to get rid of all zoos, circuses, and aquariums.

They get rid of their whales but Marineland keeps their whales. The Plot thickens.

Regardless, Marineland only has one killer whale left and it's an older one. Likely once it dies, they won't bring in any more.

Marineland is probably nearing the end anyways. The owner is in his 80s now, and the park doesn't have many big rides or things to do besides the animal shows.

You know that if they ever get SeaWorld to "get rid of their whales", whatever that means (all ways lead to the orca's death, which they'll undoubtedly blame on SeaWorld), they'll go after the dolphins next. Then the polar bears. The final goal of these people is to get rid of all zoos, circuses, and aquariums.

Zoo culture has really been coming under scrutiny lately. The only locations that may be even "remotely safe" from the naysayers are the ones designated as non-profits.

Ehh, some PETA types were protesting outside of SF:DK on Halloween morning/afternoon about the dolphins mainly this time. Didn't stop record crowds though.

This is what I think of PETA type's.

(guys name is Logan and he's not like this at all, well mostly not.)

I think this is the right move, very similar to the "show" they do at Vancouver Aquarium... Just a short, 30 minute show, showcasing their natural habits and behaviours. More educational, with a little splashing through out. This should be much better then the Whale spectacles they used to do. A step in the right direction for the whales unable to leave captivity.

This is not a change I can accept. SeaWorld needs to continue to fight. Seems like some people in this thread have been drinking the "Blackfish" kool-aid when you say, "This is a change I can accept".

Why does it have to be the 'blackfish' kool-aid and not the Sea World kool-aid that has allowed people to accept such a questionable practice as the norm for so many years?

I seriously struggle to comprehend how this is even a debate in 2015, excluding how you feel about the particular manipulations of the film which has brought this whole issue to the fore.

Funny that you struggle to comprehend how this is even a debate considering your comments answered the question.

There are manipulations (of the facts) in the film, because it is a propaganda film.

I'm confused, is the new coaster for the San Diego park or another park?

Hmmm.. what thread are we in?

According to Screamscape, the coaster is going in at San Antonio. San Diego will get a rescue-themed dark ride instead, and Orlando will get the dark ride as well (but different from San Diego's). Details are scarce though, so it's possible that the info is mixed-up. I'm also given to understand that one version of the ride (either San Diego's or Orlando's) will feature mostly screen/media-based "aquariums" whereas the other park's version will pass through actual exhibits with live animals.

db_2017_SeaRescue_subdarkride1.jpg.834d0ab929105a849d314d3dfeee51ff.jpg

According to Screamscape, this is the attraction that will be coming to San Diego.

db_2017_SeaRescue_coaster1.jpg.e4c5a52891d0c8263dc68824fa25117c.jpg

The coaster shown in the press release will actually be going to San Antonio (again, this is according to Screamscape).

db_2017_SeaRescue_jeepdarkride1.jpg.807005e80eb70d106a89bce7f2622ce0.jpg

This is the dark ride for Orlando. Similar concept to San Diego's, but with different vehicles.

Funny that you struggle to comprehend how this is even a debate considering your comments answered the question.

There are manipulations (of the facts) in the film, because it is a propaganda film.

Any person / activist group / corporation / what have you with a vested interest in any side of a debate or issue will manipulate in order to gain support. That goes as much for Seaworld's PR department and any other group decrying the film as 'propaganda' as it goes for the actual film itself.

My point is more that people have been questioning the treatment of animals used for entertainment purposes for a longtime now, well before Blackfish came out. I feel like most people would be uncomfortable seeing an elephant or a bear in a circus in 2015, irrespective of how well looked after the circus can claim them to be. What I can't comprehend is how that's not the same for an Orca or any other large sea mammal. But I could be completely wrong about attitudes to circus animals to begin with.

From scrolling through this thread its pretty clear my opinion is in the minority, so i'll butt-out. I came to have a look because a mate asked me what rollercoaster fans thought of the whole thing so I've got my answer for him now. But it's been an intriguing read nonetheless.

Any person / activist group / corporation / what have you with a vested interest in any side of a debate or issue will manipulate in order to gain support. That goes as much for Seaworld's PR department and any other group decrying the film as 'propaganda' as it goes for the actual film itself.

My point is more that people have been questioning the treatment of animals used for entertainment purposes for a longtime now, well before Blackfish came out. I feel like most people would be uncomfortable seeing an elephant or a bear in a circus in 2015, irrespective of how well looked after the circus can claim them to be. What I can't comprehend is how that's not the same for an Orca or any other large sea mammal. But I could be completely wrong about attitudes to circus animals to begin with.

From scrolling through this thread its pretty clear my opinion is in the minority, so i'll butt-out. I came to have a look because a mate asked me what rollercoaster fans thought of the whole thing so I've got my answer for him now. But it's been an intriguing read nonetheless.

One important thing to understand is that Americans are taught to believe in the ideal of unbiased journalism. It is a suggestion repeated over and over and over again. The issue with this is that any journalistic piece that comes to a conclusion, no matter how obvious that conclusion may be, is going to have inherent bias. This crosses over into the arts as well. It is a frankly impossible and, in practice, largely undesirable standard, but we tell ourselves it is important to keep anyhow. Ergo: people complain a documentary film has an agenda when that is the entire purpose of documentary film.

Ah yes, the Sea World in Australia has a tire-launched Intamin with a similar name. I do find it odd the two seem to have such a resemblance, I welcome any new coaster to any park and this one looks like it will be the right size for families, certainly ideal for Sea World.

I'm envisioning something like San Diego's Manta, only with "jet ski" trains. Could be really good. I'm always in favor or new dark rides, too.