TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walibi Belgium Discussion Thread

I don't see why people were that exited about this ride in the first place. Most people seemed to be more interested in the fact that the track could cover such long spans without supports than the fact that the ride looks to be a low capacity, low thrill ride. Yes it may be tall, but it is essentially a very large mini suspended coaster.

I can't really see how it will benefit Walibi Belgium at all. The capacity is terrible for such a large ride with only two 4 seat cars on the track. I can see this causing huge problems with queues. I can't remember whether this coaster will be pay per ride or not but I think that this would be the only way to avoid this kind of problem and this doesn't make people feel all that great about having to pay for the experience.

Plus this ride is possibly the ugliest I have ever seen. I don't expect all coasters to look brilliant but they could have at least painted it. It completely ruins any atmosphere that used to surround the lake and it kills the theming. Plus it causes a huge eyesore for all surrounding residents.

So in all, I think that Walibi could have spent their money on something much better

I bet Walibi Belgium regrets this ride very much as they missed the 2006 summer buzz as the ride wasnt ready and moreover it is a low capacity ride on a very busy park.

I was there last summer and this is one ugly ride that looks pretty boribg.

Well that video was a bit of a let-down. It looked like there was no speed or thrill or anything. Of course this is just a video, maybe the real experience will be better, but I have my doubts.

Maybe Walibi should have invested in a traditional coaster instead of this innovation. Because let's face it:

-It's ugly

-There's nothing thrilling about the layout

-No speed

But I respect the guts of Walibi to bring a world-premier to Belgium.

The capacity is terrible for such a large ride with only two 4 seat cars on the track. I can see this causing huge problems with queues.

I don't. When the queues get longer they just put the other 6 trains on the track as well.

They also have two lifts. When one train leaves the lift ot the top, the next one already enters the lift at the bodom.

The capacity will be about 800 people an hour. Not that bad if you know Boomerangs are only 760 people an hour.

There is some disturbing news. The innovating radio navigating system which delayed the ride's opening is even now not working properly, the problem is that the ride can't operate with more than 4 trains at the time, which is a catastrophe for the rides capacity! Big worries in Waver, but the people at Doppelmayr have promised to do everything about this problem. Walibi thinks different, if Doppelmayr can't fix the problem in January, there is a big chance that they will remove Vertigo out of the park.

Source: Le Soir

Something to be worried about, or do you think they will not remove the ride so quickly?

I went there last summer, and I didn't find this ride all that ugly. It sure does stand out above the park, and it should be a draw to the park. I think the ride is painted, it's just silver, which isn't my first choice for a coaster either.

Throughput could be a huge issue, especially if they can't get the new tech up and running. Good luck!

The thing its to late to start building a new coaster to 2007 season.

They should ask for thier money back and buy a giant frisbee and some other thrill rides to the new season. People would love it.

Sticking with the tame coaster won't be any good.

I'd say if the Dopplemayr video was to be what I was going to base my opinion on the ride off, I'd instantly say it was a winner. Psychological thriller that can pull extreme heights over large spanses of area without much visual obstruction. If they do end up pulling this off, I can definitely see this only getting bigger in other locations. It's clean, minimalistic and a crowd drawer.

I'd also argue that unlike other coasters, because there isn't any true support system or track to really relate what speed the train is going at, it's definitely hard to really guage how intense or fast this coaster is really going. It's definitely going to look slow though if you're looking at objects in the horizon and you're wondering why you're not going anywhere.

Although, the second video was definitely disappointing. Too much trimming, not enough out of control soaring and way too much of "dawrdling over Walibi."

This looks alot like sky gliding would, so if people would want a controlled experience, this would be it. If this was supposed to be a thrilling ride, then it seems to be a letdown. I've never been sky gliding before, or to Belgium for that matter, but I've been on Soarin' and that ride cost alot more than the Dopplemayr ride, so this is a nice glide over the park then.

• 3 weeks later...

Uhm it looks like there are some big troubles with Vertigo. I found these photos on www.themeparkvision.be . I don't know for sure if these pictures are really from 1/15 or if they are just pics from the construction.

EDIT: some people who investigated it say the photo's are from 1/15

I also found that the track of this coaster needs to be renewed every year. The maintenance costs are to high. Some say they are just laying new track but I don't believe that since Vertigo hasn't opened so there hasn't been alot of forces on the track yet.

Chances are they are removing the coaster from the park. Maybe they realized the cost of this attraction is way to high (since they have to renew the track every year) and it just isn't worth it. If so, it's yet another stupid Belgian thing

Also worth saying: all the Vertigo info on the website of Walibi Belgium has been removed. I really don't know what to think

IMG_1265.JPG.614705f71f241633e9899adc86d08368.JPG

IMG_1264.JPG.032a15fd2b73d4e10557732e9efd91e7.JPG

Wow.

New entry in the 'Rarest Credit Ever' contest.

It looked really interesting when I was there last summer, I even thought the video looked pretty cool, but if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

At least there's likely no way the park is paying for it. Doppelmayr (SP?) will have to sell a lot of ski lifts to make up for that little foray into the rides business!

Good riddance, that thing was an eye sore

Exactly.

I hope they get all their money back and more for all the trouble and then they can invest in a good coaster like a B+M Hyper or an Intamin Hyper or something good.

The thing looks ugly and it stands out in a nice looking park. I hope they do remove it.

They are having problems with the communication system between the cars. They can't launch more then 4, while they promised it would be 8. So the capacity of 800pph isn't going to happen.

The coaster does look big when you're in the park, but it just doesn't seem the belong there. Alot of people where not happy with this coaster because it occupies valuable space for a decent coaster.

Thomas -"as long as we don't get another Vekoma!"- Vanierschot

I guess someone's head was taken due to this big big fiasko but I think now Walibi will get their money back and will be able to buy some cool rides for the park.

Now I guess they will rush to put something new for 2007 season and my guess is a big flat ride, maybe a giant frisbee or giant swing ride