TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

A Silly Zipper Question

pagemaster_b

My brother works for the Secret Service and during an assignment in Mongolia a few months ago he bought me a Columbia jacket dirt cheap. (According to him, it was off the black market.) As much as I love the coat, I'm annoyed that it zips up on the left side. My brother says that all the Columbia jackets he saw there were that way. Everyone around here says that for a woman's coat the zipper is on the left and a guy's coat zips on the right (which would mean that I've got a woman's coat). My question: is this just a distinction created by American clothing designers, or is it universal throughout the world?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm... without looking at any female clothes right now, I'm gonna venture to guess that the answer is "no".

At first, I was thinking it would be similar to buttons, but then I realized that, when the zipper is all "zipped-up", there's no telling which side of the garment the handle was originally on.