TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Trip planning in the Low Countries

rollermonkey

Before joining the TPR UK Trip, I wanted to visit some countries I never made it to while I was in Europe: Belgium and The Netherlands.

I just sent Elissa a PM when I realized that TPR has a diverse group of folks all over the world. So, I am asking everybody if the following itinerary is possible.

Be advised, I tear through parks fairly quick, my personal best is 22 parks in 11 days.

Would I have to "credit whore" my way through, or would I have time to stop and smell the dog farts? (Yeah, I'm talking about Bobbejaanland...)

Here's my plan:

Day 1, June 5:

Depart NRT –AMS

Netherlands:

Arrive Schiapol airport.

Train to Amsterdam Dungeon

Return to Airport: Mercure Schiapol (hotel)

Day 2, June 6:

#1 Walibi World (6) Biddinghuizen, Flevoland (@30 Mi east of Amsterdam) 10-17

#2 Toverland (2) Sevenum, Limburg (@75 Mi SE of Amsterdam) 10-18

Return to Airport: Mercure Schiapol (hotel)

Day 3, June 7:

#3 Drievliet Family Park (4) Rijswijk, Zuid-Holland (@20 Mi SW of Amsterdam) 10-18

#4 Efteling (5) Kaatsheuvel, Noord-Brabant (@40 Miles South of Amsterdam) 10-18

Drive to Antwerp (Find hotel east of Antwerp, Herentals?)

Day 4, June 8:

Belgium:

#5 Bobbejaanland (8) Lichtaart, Antwerp (About 25 Mi E of Antwerp) 10-17:30

#6 Walibi Belgium (7) Wavre, Walloon Brabant (12 Mi SE of Brussels) 10-18

To Brussels station or airport.

Then train ($120) or plane($59) to London.

Hotel: With the Alvey’s

Day 7, June 9:

Legoland w/ mini group

Begin UK trip.

Thank you in advance for your help!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Chris,

your plan is really a "credit whoring" plan

Okay, Day 1 and Day 2 are absolutely okay.The 6th of june is in some parts of germany a holiday so it`s possible that Walibi World gets more crowded than on an usual weekday.

On day 3: For Drievliet you only need one hour because this park is really small, and for Efteling you`ll need a couple of more hours, because the parklandscaping makes Efteling a very big walking park.

For Bobbejaanland (this is not the park with the "farts", what you mean is BonBonland in denmark) you need about 3 hours. Walibi Belgium really depends on the crowds, last time we needed a full day!

In general be aware of the heavy traffic in and around the bigger cities in the netherlands/belgium (esp. Amsterdam and Brussels). Sometimes you`ll need 2 to 3 hours for 50 miles!

You can check out our site: http://www.coasterfriends.de/TripEuroTour2005.htm - we visited most of the parks last august/september.

After reading our TR`s please leave a comment in our guestbook, because our other members are really lucky than

Andy

your planning:

Day1: Ariving and Amsterdam Dungeon.

Day2: Walibi world / Toverland

Spending the night in Amsterdam

Day3: Drievliet / Efteling

Day4: Bobbejaanland / Walibi Belgium

Spending the night in Belgium

Thats a bit difficult to combine these parks in such a few days.

My advice:

Day 2 only Walibi world

then travel over to direction of the Efteling and Toverland.

Take a Hotel near the Efteling for this night and use the next day for the efteling.

Travel further to Toverland and use a Hotel near Toverland.

Next day (day3) you should spend the morning for Toverland (will take you in about a few hours to see the park).

Then near afternoon drive over to Belgium (its a easy drive for about 1.5 hour) and visite the rest of the afternoon Bobbejaanland.

In the evening you should travel to Walibi Belgium to a hotel over there.

The next day (day4) will be used for Walibi Belgium to Enjoy.

The crowds on the road are bussy during some times but you will travel in the evenings when you take my advice and then the roads aren't that full.

On this way you will not see Drievliet but that park is not really something to look after

If there is anything that i can help you with then just let me know by email or PM.

Even MSN is possible

It seems pretty reasonable if you're planning to just get the rides done and move on. The distance between places is fairly minimal out there as they're both pretty small countries. I'm heading out there this summer too for 5 days but taking it a bit slower, but i've already noticed that driving is nowhere near as big an issue as when i did Germany last summer. You should manage that okay.

Also, 'captain' mentioned that Drievliet only takes an hour. Is there really that little to do there, or will I be able to drag the park out a bit more and make it last?

It seems pretty reasonable if you're planning to just get the rides done and move on. The distance between places is fairly minimal out there as they're both pretty small countries. I'm heading out there this summer too for 5 days but taking it a bit slower, but i've already noticed that driving is nowhere near as big an issue as when i did Germany last summer. You should manage that okay.

Also, 'captain' mentioned that Drievliet only takes an hour. Is there really that little to do there, or will I be able to drag the park out a bit more and make it last?

Drievliet will take you a hour if your there for the coasters.

Its not just dat the park isné small but the driving distance between Walibi and Drievliet taks also 1.5 hours.

The park has 4 coasters but there is only one that is a bit smooth.

The maurer spinning is the worst i've ever done so do not go to the park for that.

If you like some flat rides like a enterprise, breakdance and afterburner then you've got some more time to spend over there.

The whole park can be done in 2 hours.

If you would like to combine this with a other park then i suggest you to take a smaller park near the coast like Duinrell.

Toverland is just to far away for driving over there just for the afternoon.

A second option is combine Slagharen and Hellendoorn both 2 smaller parks but verry near to each other.

Hope i helped you a bit.

Anton van den Akker

^Cheers, i'm going more for the day than just to ride stuff once, so i'll stick to just there. I'm not keen on doing more than 1 park a day really. I'm driving down to Walibi Belgium after that, so I suppose if I do get bored, I can head off a bit earlier and get that drive done. Got to conquer driving across the border too, oooOooOoOooh...

Hi,

you can do Drievliet in one hour, but that`s just for the coaster count issue.

We`ve stayed their for about 3 hours, and we really enjoyed this little family park, but of course it`s no competition to any bigger park. It always depends on what you make out of your day at a park.

If you just wanna do one park on one day you can combine Drievliet with a lot of sightseeing possibilities. For example we chose the lovely north sea coast town of Zaandvoort to soak some sun, sand & water (about 45 min away) for the afternoon. Or do some great Amsterdam shopping.

Greetinx

Andy

Yeah, i'm flying in that morning to Schiphol, driving down to Drievliet, which shouldn't take long, and then heading across the border to Wavre. I might just have a lazy drive down in the afternoon if we get tired of the park.

Another quicky while i'm here, there isn't anything complicated about driving across the border is there? Just need passports handy?

It`s really simple crossing the border, because there are no borders anymore (just the ones to eastern europe).

No one will ask you for passports, but it`s always good to carry them with you.

It`s like in the U.S. to get from one state to another.

eh, rollermonkey, i'd only visit WWO, Efteling and Toverland,

wwo for the credit, efteling for the landscape and bit of credit, and toverland only has the boosterbike and the park is very cheap, u could use it on your way back, you're done there in two hours,

and when u decide to drop at toverland, gimme a pm and i'll meetup with ya

Ooh, Great Thread.

I am planning a similar trip in July and would like to include Germany as well. Microsoft Autoroute seems to be invalubal as it has all the locations of the parks my plan is to take autoroute on a laptop and sync my handheld GPS to it.

I was also wondering if these parks are accesseble by rail?

Would like to try and avoid hiring a car if poss.

Cheers

^I thought I told you, you were crazy already!!!

Anyways...my comments having been to some of these places.

You're going to be credit whoring only, if that's what you want, that's fine. I would not choose this itinerary.

Toverland exceeded my expectations by far. If you're going thinking you're only going to ride the two credits and leave, well you'll miss out on some really cool stuff. Even with the park dead we did not do everything we wanted in 3 hours. Walibi World, as long as it isn't crowded should be okay.

Robb and I did not like Efteling, so just credit whore the place and you'll be out in under 2 hours, but then you'll have all of the Europeans yelling at you!

Bobbejaanland / Walibi Belgium...that's also asking for trouble. Bobbejaanland blew us all away and they have A LOT of attractions. At WB try to do a few things other than the credits. Drop tower is great, Sally dark ride is fun, etc. I'm not sure of your schedule, but Bobbejaanland opens the park in sections so not everything will be open at opening.

Hope for no traffic and you can manage, but don't go in expecting to see everything and get every credit.

Now there's an emotional response!

Based on what I've heard so far, I am definitely going to revise my plans.

I'm not big on flat rides, so I usually just do darks, towers and coasters. I may drop Drievelet unless someone feels strongly about that. (I don't.)

This frees up more time to do Bobbejaanland over two half days and frees up some time for Walibi Belgium.

I won't be staying at the Mercure Schiapol at all, I found out it is actually BEHIND customs. I am looking at staying north of Rotterdam the second night and as close to the airport as I can the first. I did find a hotel very close to Bobbejaanland, so I'm pretty certain of that part.

Thanks! When I think I have re-finalized my plans, I'll post 'em again here so you can tear me apart again!

Is it really that hard to drive less than 100 km in those countries? What is the speed limit on the expressways? Or is there that much traffic on weekdays?

^traffic starts to get bad round 10:30, so be there at 9:45, waiting 15 minutes outside the park is better than one hour in a traffic jam

^this is WWO only, the Efteling and Toverland don't have these problems,

and i take it you are going in the summers, park are open very late, perhaps untill 8 or 10, not sure, and ppl leave earlier than the closing hour, so it shouldn't be a problem

and elissa, how dare you, the efteling is a great park, if you look beyond the coasters to the beatifull landscape....

• 2 months later...