TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

China Help!

pvcoasterguy

I'm going on a trip to China this summer, and I wanted to get some questions answered... any information is helpful!

1) Chinese. Is it worth learning? How in-depth should I get? Any reccomended programs?

2) Electricity. I'm not real sure what type of power China uses. Do I need any special adapters?

3) Visa. I'm pretty sure that it is necessary to get a visa in order to travel to China. How and where can I obtain the visa?

4) Money. What should I bring? (US $, Traveller's Checks, Credit/Debit Card, etc.)

Any other information would be helpful! I really want to hear some experiences in China as I've heard very few.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind, we didn't go to mainland China, but I did do some research into it:

1. Well, 1 Billion people speak the language so I would at least learn a bit of it! Get something with an audio or even computer interactive component. Listen and practice as much as possible.

2. Yeah, there are adapters to buy. Just check online or at a travel store.

3. Yes you need a Visa. Depending on for how long and where in the country you're going there are also different types. Some you have to get ahead of time, some you can get there, and some you need a sponsor for. Check the Chinese embassy or consulate in your area (if you have one) or else visit the US State Department website for links and info about obtaining a Chinese Visa. START THIS PROCESS NOW!

4. Bring US $'s, Credit Card, and Chinese Cash.

I've heard it's an amazing country, we'd like to go soon too so let us know how it all works out for you!

Where you going in China? I have been to China once back in 1996 for around 3 weeks and I lived in Taiwan for over a year. Elissa pretty much answered your questions, but if you have any more just ask away. Wo ai zhong guo! Are you going as a tour group or solo?

It sounds like EJ^ will have the best, country specific information for you.

General suggestion:

Learn some basic phrases like greetings and polite phrases. There is more than 'flavor' of the Chinese language, so be careful. The longer you will be there, the more that you should prepare.

The more you try to speak in the local tongue, the more likely someone who speaks a little English will be willing to help you. This goes pretty much anywhere in the world.

Yes, even France!

If you are going with any kind of group, even a small one, consider hiring some sort of interpreter if you think you can afford it.

If you are going solo, be careful!

• 4 weeks later...
I am from Taiwan

Taiwan does not belong to China.

Taiwan is a country!

Yep, Taiwan is officially known as The Republic of China (ROC). I did not mean to suggest that China and Taiwan were one country. Where in Taiwan do you live?

I live in Taoyuan(Pingjhen City).

I used to live in LongTan (LungTan) which if I remember correctly is in Taoyuan county.

Oh yeah, I remember PingJen now, I actually have been there once. It is near Yangmei, correct?

I am from Taiwan

Taiwan does not belong to China.

Taiwan is a country!

Yep, Taiwan is officially known as The Republic of China (ROC). I did not mean to suggest that China and Taiwan were one country. Where in Taiwan do you live?

I live in Taoyuan(Pingjhen City).

I used to live in LongTan (LungTan) which if I remember correctly is in Taoyuan county.

Oh yeah, I remember PingJen now, I actually have been there once. It is near Yangmei, correct?

You are right.

It is near JungLi city,too.

And I find a video about Gravity MAX.

http://www.asovini.com/screamer/mov/gravitymax.mpg