TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shapiro visits SFKK

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The park will be swarming with costumed characters from the Looney Tunes lineup, along with Batman, Robin and other comic-book heroes.

Haha I would really hate who ever has to be Batman and Robin.

When he asked how much money it brought in last year, a park executive produced a five-digit figure.

"Make it free," Shapiro said. "This is just something we don't need to nickel and dime people on."

Hey if he will lower that maybe he will lower the sky coasters. The guy is cool with me if he does that.

I for one, am relieved that Kentucky Kingdom isn't on the chopping block, and am glad to see a promise of new and better stuff in the future. I've never thought it was as bad a park as people made it out to be, and it will be very nice to see some much needed improvements! Especially the bathrooms! Woof! And I seriously hope he noticed the lack of water fountains.

-Julie

"This is just something we don't need to nickel and dime people on."

Funny he says that about a $3 upcharge when they raised parking to crazy prices and almost made it where you couldn't leave the park to save some money on food outside the park.

He said that Six Flags will be able to add "bigger and better rides down the road"

"You won't see any more Goliaths, thats for sure."

Todays word:

Hypocrite

Yea, but the person who you quoted from Kentucky is a 17 year old kid. He did, however, say this:

"When I grew up at Six Flags at Great America in Chicago, that's what it was. It was half family, half teenagers. I think over the last few years we've gotten away from that too much."

.. which I like 8)

Funny he says that about a $3 upcharge when they raised parking to crazy prices and almost made it where you couldn't leave the park to save some money on food outside the park.

Yea but by limiting a person's ablility to obtain outside food, that also could have potentially boosted the value of those food service contracts

He said that Six Flags will be able to add "bigger and better rides down the road"

Todays word:

Hypocrite

*insert Stephen Colbert like rant*

I don't see it as hypocritical at all! Look at the two parks...since 2000, Kentucky Kingdom has gotten two coasters...a new wild mouse and a used shuttle loop. Over Georgia on the other hand has gotten FOUR brand new, very nice coasters (Deja Vu, Superman: Ultimate Flight, Canyon Blaster and Goliath). Seems like he is just saying that he will be spreading out the coasters more evenly, and I applaud that. It's not right to give a few select parks brand new custom coasters every couple of years when parks like Kentucky Kingdom, Elitch Gardens, Darien Lake and others go without for so long. Spreading out the new coasters across all the parks should be better in the long run.

I certainly hope he makes good on his word because the smaller parks, I believe, would benfit more from the shots in the arm new NICE coasters give than the big parks.

-Julie

EDIT: Alright, I didn't realize the quotes were from different people. I didn't go back and reread the article.

Todays word:

Hypocrite

*insert Stephen Colbert like rant*

I don't see it as hypocritical at all! Look at the two parks...since 2000, Kentucky Kingdom has gotten two coasters...a new wild mouse and a used shuttle loop. Over Georgia on the other hand has gotten FOUR brand new, very nice coasters (Deja Vu, Superman: Ultimate Flight, Canyon Blaster and Goliath). Seems like he is just saying that he will be spreading out the coasters more evenly, and I applaud that. It's not right to give a few select parks brand new custom coasters every couple of years when parks like Kentucky Kingdom, Elitch Gardens, Darien Lake and others go without for so long. Spreading out the new coasters across all the parks should be better in the long run.

I certainly hope he makes good on his word because the smaller parks, I believe, would benfit more from the shots in the arm new NICE coasters give than the big parks.

-Julie

EDIT: Alright, I didn't realize the quotes were from different people. I didn't go back and reread the article.

The reason parks like that very rarely get new rides is their popularity. No one goes to the parks. The parks like SFOG, SFMM, SFGAdv, and SFGAm all have high attendance. The parks you listed are mainly out in the middle of nowhere. Another one is the Great Escape, I used to live up in New York and that was the only park near me, it was out in the middle of nowhere, thus them getting no good rides. It makes sense to only put the expensive rides where they will be used the most.

The guy ordered up a paint job for Chang; something I've been preaching for the last several years. He's a winner in my book.

Seriously though, I think he has a lot of great ideas and is going to get this in the right direction. Yeah, the parking issue is really screwy, but I still think he's got a good plan.

I'm not sure how I feel about this... but I think the reason I'm so unsure is because I'm afraid it will be filled with empty promises. Two of the three closest Six Flags to me is SFKK and SFSTL and let me tell you... but could use a little *ahem* alot of help in some areas, not all, but some. I would welcome the free rock cimb with open arms and I'm thrilled about Chang's new paint job but he's saying all these things with such enthusiasm now but what happens when he's not excited about making the parks better anymore?

In a nutshell, I won't beleive anything it until it happens

(P.S. was it this guys idea to make Six Flags smoke free? Because if it was I really kind of want to hug him and say "THANK YOU")

Just because he said "no goliaths" doesn't mean that parks that SFKK won't be getting rides.

It means it's unlikely they'll get $20 million dollar coasters. But cheaper rides could be in the works.

Even a few cheaper rides for the neglected parks could go along way.

It sounds as though Snyder is finally going to get the "little" things done and forgo the giant coasters and such till things are running smoothly. It's sort of like your own personal finances---you don't go out and buy a 60-inch plasma TV when you owe a lot of $$$ on credit cards. If you can't afford it, you don't get it. You save up. When you have extra is when you buy "extras."

In other words, what Six Flags should have been doing all along.

Eric

"This is just something we don't need to nickel and dime people on."

Everyone has to pay for parking though, and raising parking prices would generate much more revenue than charging for a skycoaster ever would.

"You come to an amusement park to be in a different world," Jonathan said. "Otherwise it's just a parking lot with a bunch of roller coasters on it."

Nail! Hit! Head!

The guy ordered up a paint job for Chang; something I've been preaching for the last several years. He's a winner in my book.

Seriously though, I think he has a lot of great ideas and is going to get this in the right direction. Yeah, the parking issue is really screwy, but I still think he's got a good plan.

Chang isn't the only coaster up for a paint job. I was informed that our Cyclone at SFNE should and will be recieving a paint job for the 2006 season. If that's true, I can finally not look at our modified drop that isn't painted.

Good article btw, the past two articles talk of a lot of much needed changes to the parks, he's finally starting to win me over.

He'll get his brownie points when I see SFNE with my own eyes in 2006

You know, a lot of people have been really looking at this negatively because they've raised prices for parking. To be honest, I'm willing to pay $15 parking if they actually do some of the things they've talked about.

This is certainly a breath of fresh air from the Premiere attitude of "Let's take decent parks, cut the budgets everywhere, run the coasters with one train, and not have any incentives for the employees at all."

I don't know if they can pull it off, but my feeling is if they can, people won't mind paying the higher parking price to go to a nicer park.

And I mean, Disneyland charges $10 for parking, so it's not like it's THAT far off. How long do you think it will be before Disneyland follows that trend?

--Robb

The parking fee is just not that big of deal, if the improvements come. I pay twice as much to park for a college football game at Notre Dame.(Weis has got to get paid ya know).

The KK improvements are perfect, that park has a good variety of rides, and some nice looking areas(back by blizzard river). But that park has always had a feeling of "we are doing the customer a favor by letting them spend money here." I hope it works, because that is about the only way I would head down there again.