TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Video Editing Thread

mikejenkins1

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Most of these programs cost money, so you're not going to be able to just download them off some random site. If you're interested in any of them, try doing a Google search, which will bring up more than enough information about them for you to decide whether to purchase them or not.

• 2 months later...

Not to be all mean, but theres a bunch of threads on this topic on this site already.

If you have a PC Adobe Premier is really good, but If I can use a MAC I like to use Final Cut Pro, and Motion for graphics. I actually perfer to edit on a MAC only because I like Final Cut Pro a lot. But with any of the programs I mentioned be prepared to spend a lot of money.

For those of us who can't afford professional video editing packages, there's Windows Movie Maker (comes standard as part of Windows XP). It will only export to DV and compressed WMV but it does the job and can import from almost anything.

I have both Premiere Pro and Movie Maker that came with my PC. I am learning to use Premiere, but for me it is a steep learning curve. I can knock out a decent movie with Movie Maker, but of course there are features I crave using Premiere. At the school where I teach all of the video editing classes use Premiere and the kids produce fantastic videos.

Bottom line: I really need to learn Premiere, but enjoy Movie Maker!

not long ago i came across presentavid (link). simple and nice video editor. can delete frames, add callouts, own logos & watermarks, can burn dvd automatically to watch on a dvd player and publish outputed video in different popular formats (avi, wmv, mpeg, even flash (swf/flv) and gif), also can record a screen (region, window) and then allows to edit it. exactly for those who start with all of these i guess. and also for those who don't want something very complecated.

I always use windows movie maker because...

1. It's free

2. It's easy to use

3. You can add a variety of effects to your video

4. There are many different types of final video files you can create.

^^ Me to. I can create videos no problem but I'd like to compress them for all sorts of things. I'm using Cybelink Powerdirector at the moment but haven't figured out how to make the things small enough in size to use on the net.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a capturing question for you video editing buffs out there. I'm trying to capture my POVs I took the other day at SCBB but for some reason, the endresult on the computer looks like Venetian blinds...I was told that it has something to do with it being interlaced, meaning that it's set for a TV's framerate instead of the computer...It played fine on the TV with no streaks/blinds. It's just when it's on the computer it comes out like that.

I'm capturing the video using firewire and am using Pinnacle Studio 10. Are there any options on there to de-interlace the video? Is there some other software out there that can de-interlace the video when it's capturing? The sooner I get an answer, the sooner I can post 4 POVs that I shot at SCBB. (2 coasters, 2 darkrides)

1871337312_DipperPOVshot.jpg.6d0e295b6137b16fdf10893e9a628100.jpg

This is the Venetian blind effect I'm talking about.

Ok. Having worked with just about most readily available programs on the market (and this includes everything from, Sony, to Adobe and all right through to Microsoft's, Pinnacle's and Ulead's video editing flavours) it's really upto how advanced you want to take your editing, what your time frame is for editing clips is, and how much cash you have in your wallet.

For around a hundred bucks, you can't go wrong with Ulead's Video Studio 10. It takes just about all formats (in good faith of course), offers simplistic ways of making and producing videos and has the ability to use more complex timeline features. It's also incredibly versatile. I use this alot at work mainly because not only does it offer faculty with a fairly nice, polished end result but also because it's incredibly efficient.

If you're looking into expanding into a fairly decked out application, but you're short on cash, Sony's Vegas IS the way to go. If i'm on a PC, I'd rather use it over Adobe's video suite anyday due to its far superior on-the-fly rendering efficiency and advanced features. Also, in terms of accepting files, you'd be hard pressed not to be able to stick an incompatible file into Vegas 6. Everything from photoshop files to .ogg sound files work with absolute zero effort. So if you're looking for an advanced piece of software that is well built for the Windows platform, you can't go past Vegas in my opinion. In terms of rendering, and timeline editing and production, it craps all over Premiere hands down. In all the time I was using Premiere (about a year non-stop) I found it frustrating to say the least that half of the playback and rendering features were over-complicated and downright not worth the time, unless you enjoy producing movies that make you look like a complete and utter n00b.

I think though that most will agree that if you're looking for the most readily available, and most advanced consumer software on the market currently is the Final Cut Studio Package. It's incredibly efficient, it works with Quicktime's latest H.264 codecs, it takes HD like the CPU wants to die, and then pretends it wasn't a hassle in the first place. It's got so many awesome sound-editing and graphic processing tools that it really is a pleasure to work with, provided you've got the 1.6K Australian to buy you the whole suite.

And that's my two cents, hope it helps.

• 1 month later...

Adobe Elements Package is the way to go if you don't have a lot of money. Comes with Adobe Premier Elements (a light version of the pro software) and Adobe Photoshop Elements (which is also a light version). Both features the most commonly used features of the pro software. And, athough it does not have everything, it does have quite a bit.

I have tried almost all of the consumer video editiors and a few of the prosumer versions. If you can get anything, as far as money goes, get Adobe Premiere Pro. I use it cuz its simply the best for me. If you can't afford that (or find a site to download it from), I would suggest the Adobe Elements as gnome mentioned. Very nice editor.

As far as working with a Mac, I don't see the point. I can understand trying to rid yourself of Windows and its problems, but if you are doing it just to work with Final Cut Pro, you are wasting your money. Adobe Premiere and Final Cut are almost exact copies...one works for PC, the other for Mac. But, Adobe Premiere did come first, and thus gains my respect as the better product.

But Adobe Premiere, Final Cut, Ulead VideoStudio, and all the otehrs only edit your videos. As far as special effects go, I would try out Autodesk Combustion. I havn't tried a lot with this...my computer as of now is not good enough to handle it. So only try to use this if you have a upper end computer. Not as good, but still demanding, is Adobe After Effects...this should work out just fine.

I'm not trying to use it for coaster editing...there are certain effects I have always wanted to try in a movie and Combustion makes it easier to make them happen. Afterall, this is the Video Editing Thread...if it were the Video Editing ofr Coasters Thread, then I wouldn't have posted that. You don't need effects for a cool coaster video, theres a coaster in it!