TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Video Editing Thread

mikejenkins1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thus far I've tried Pinnacle's Dazzle DVD 9.0, Roxio Media Creater 7.0 and, now Sonic's myDVD Deluxe Edition.

Pinnacle's (and this is my opinion) is utter crap. Not once could it correctly calculate how large my project was in comparison to the DVD. I was getting all sorts of read errors even when it told me I had over 50% left on the DVD. This was using the "fit to video" selection too, which was really too bad because I found the editting interface extremely easy to use and navigate. Their website is poor and, so is their support.

I moved onto Roxio and, didn't have much luck either. I'm writing it off as an installation problem though. For some reason it would crash everytime I tried to open the DVD Creator portion. Then it would just stop attempting to open all together. I've had problems with Roxio on past PC's so, I have a low tolerence with the software.

I'm now onto to Sonic's myDVD Deluxe Edition. Humorously, Roxio is made by Sonic, and I've had no problems with myDVD DE. The editing interface is OK. I liked Pinnacle's better but, after a little messing with it for a little while, I found it pretty straight forward. More importantly, I've had no problems writing to DVDs with it.

I'd give Sonic's myDVD Deluxe Edition a whirl. Roxio Media Creator 8.0 was just released and got reviews as well. Their both similiar.

For ease and simplicity of use, use Windows Movie Maker, which is free and installed with every copy of Windows XP.

I recommend Pinnacle Studio 9, 10 has ALOT of bugs, but is very very nice now that Avid is invovled. If you want something more professional, but high learning curve, there is Vegas and Premiere. For Mac, there's iMovie and Final Cut Pro and Express.

In the actual independant film industry Final Cut Pro seems to be the editing Program of choice, though you need a Mac to run it and the program itself isn't cheap (Around $600). Most of Hollywood edits on Avid, but a cheap Avid setup will set you back about $20,000 (I'm not kidding).

I personally have Final Cut Pro as I intend to make a career out of filmmaking. I love the Program and can say in complete honesty that I've never had it freeze or crash on me. You can do a ton in Final Cut Pro, but because of how many options it gives you it'd probably be to complicated for someone who has very little to no familarity with digital editing.

Jeez, I can't believe anyone would waste their time with anything but Adobe Premiere. Everything else is utter crap.

Yeah I started playing around with that one. It is going to take me a little while to get the hang of it, it is a lot more complicated than Windows Movie Maker.

Erik "Who still can't figure out how to get the fade to work" Johnson

Most of Hollywood edits on Avid, but a cheap Avid setup will set you back about $20,000 (I'm not kidding).

Actually...you are kidding. You just might not have known it. While I wouldn't suggest using Avid programs unless you're looking to make a living as an editor (it's by far the most complicated of the major editing platforms), Avid Xpress DV is only $300.

I live and die with Adobe products so it's Premier for my video editing program. The learning curve is a bit high at first, but if you’re familiar with the menu layout of Adobe software it makes it a bit easier to understand.

Just my two cents on what works best for me.

Any tips on how to use fade of how to make the transitions work?

I am using Vegas Movie Studio + DVD, it is a watered-down version of the professional 'Vegas' software, but in my opinion, it's the best buy for around $100.

It allows you to pan and zoom on images, use the chroma key green screen effect, includes dozens of fully customizable transitions and effects, makes very high quality videos, etc. etc. It also comes with a full DVD authoring program and sound effects cd.

Gawd, I sound like a commercial , but it is a very good editing tool!

Fade from one clip to another? Just put them right up against each other in the timeline, then click and hold the second clip and slide it into the first. It'll give you a blue triangle deal, the longer the triangle the longer the fade.

thanks...though I am starting to think that my computer is a bit too outdated for the program.

I just use Windows Movie Maker. It is free, simple to use, and not frustrating. Cool things can be made with WMM, it's a very good program for its cost (free.) Currently I'm working on a movie about Bergen-Belsen for my history class, and it's coming along very nicely. Effects and transitions are easy to use, as are titles and credits. Music is also very easy to be placed in movies.

Adobe Premier is a good progam that is easy to use, and I have used it extensively, but personally I prefer Final Cut Pro. I think its even easier then Adobe to use, but then again as already mentioned you have to have an Apple Comp to have Final Cut Pro.

If you just want simple cut, paste and fade features, go with Nero. You can capture, edit, burn, make DVD icons and backgrounds, lables, convert, almost anything.....all in one package. I think the newest version is out there for about $80.

But other than that, I use Pinnacle 9 also and it is just fine, I dont need anything (pro) and expensive just to cut and paste.

The only software suggestion that comes to mind is for you to download the quicktime player http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/win.html if you haven't already, but all this will allow you to do is play the files, not edit them.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, I've been using a Mac ever since I got monumentally fed up with Windows XP and all the security software you have to buy simplly to have less viruses when going online...