TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Astroworld's Batman now at SF Darien Lake

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say the majority of the AW rides seemed to be removed gently, although minor damage is bound to occur here and there. Im sure theyre prepared for such an instance. On the flipside, Batman really should get updated trains (or at least newly padded restraints), since this coaster was absolutely painful. At least I think it was... its hard to remember after all concussions.

Can someone tell me what was wrong with BTE's trains? I haven't ridden it in about 7 years and I enjoyed it then. Did they recently remove the padding?... or maybe there was no padding when I rode it (and I just don't remember)?

Back when I rode it in '99, most people seemed to say it was rough, but only recently have I heard people saying it's absolutely brutal. Did it age very poorly?

The whole ride aged badly. AW had to start removing rows of cars due to stress in the track. The ride was tearing itself apart and SFAW was set to remove it this off-season or next due to the over whelming need and high price of a refurb on it.

They also were going to remove another set of cars, bringing the total to 3 cars and 2 trains with one as a backup.

The padding was very thin, and the OTSRs were akward and somewhat uncomfortable. Remember that all you have is a bicycle type seat under you, feet flat on the ground, and that big bulky OTSR (with your right arm looped in). The coaster wasnt exactly smooth to begin with, and your head would basically bounce around in the restraint. Which wouldnt be too bad if it was soft. And perhaps it was at one point (looooong ago). The only way to avoid a beating was to stick your neck out as far as possible, so that your neck got banged up instead of your head. Keep in mind AW also had a Vekoma SLC (the infamous hang 'n bangs), which was actually a comfortable ride compared to Batman.

The whole ride aged badly. AW had to start removing rows of cars due to stress in the track. The ride was tearing itself apart and SFAW was set to remove it this off-season or next due to the over whelming need and high price of a refurb on it.

Hmmm... no offense, but curious to know where you heard this rumour concerning eventual removal? Also, Im not a construction worker or coaster expert by any means, but Im puzzled as to how a coaster could effectively "tear itself apart"?

I thought it was a little rough, but not really...I didn't find the trains all that uncomfortable but they were annoying to get in and out of. They just felt and looked outdated compaired to the latest from B&M (remember they bascially designed the old Intamin Stannd up cars).

I just felt like the pacing of the ride sucked and the removed car probably didn't help this. I'm hoping i'll have a better experance with Cobra this summer.

I'm really surprised that all of the coasters from AstroWorld this didn't getthe torch. Oh...and i'm still pissed about the Schwarzkopts....and the entire closure but not much that can be done about it.

Hmmm... no offense, but curious to know where you heard this rumour concerning eventual removal? Also, Im not a construction worker or coaster expert by any means, but Im puzzled as to how a coaster could effectively "tear itself apart"?

Sources from previous experience working for Six Flags Inc. and full-times from the park who are personal friends.

I don't much about financials but while Astroworld didn't want to spend the money to refurb an old ride, if the ride is refurbished now it will basically be a brand new ride (90% of those riding it at SFDL will never know about its history).

Jeremy wrote:

The ride was tearing itself apart and SFAW was set to remove it this off-season or next due to the over whelming need and high price of a refurb on it.

This is bizarre. I believe you about the whole 'aging poorly' and 'ripping itself apart' thing, but my question is: if SF was fed up with it and they were going to remove it soon anyway, why would they ship it off to another location for storage (meaning they probably have plans to rebuild it)? If it's in such bad shape, why try and salvage it? Why not torch the motherf'er?

Yeah and I hate to break it to you, but when BTE opened origionaly at SFMM as SHockwave, it only ran 5 cars as it did it's whole life. B&M were the ones to add the 3 extra cars per train to increase capacity, and the train's were of the same design of BTE/Shockwave and the track was the design of Giovanola as was BTE, this is referring to Iron Wolf BTW. B&M only designed IW (and I think built the track), but Intamin built the trains and Giovanola the supports.

Colin"I know my B&M history "C

Yeah both the SLC and Batman were/are extremely brutal. Put it this way, ANY coaster that has instructions to REMOVE earrings before riding is a no brainer (no pun intended) that its going to beat the H*** out of you!

Anyway...as I was driving to work this afternoon, about 5 PM CST, I noticed an 18 wheeler in front of me that I passed that had 2 pieces of yellow roller coaster track. I freaked. It appeared to be B&M looking track. And I'm thinking it was Batman: The Escape track (I know its not a B&M but the track is similar) being moved from Houston. Actually I'm fairly sure because it was the exact color of it and there's NO other parks near here that have coasters...lol. This was spotted on I-12 between Baton Rouge, LA and Hammond, LA (I work in Hammond). Anyway, I thought it was darn cool actually as it is an extreme rarity to see something like this in these parts.

Nick"Lives in BFE"Constantino

• 1 month later...

I guess it's good that SFDL is getting something new, even if it is something as rough and old as The Escape... I really wish that they would actually build another coaster that A.) hasn't been at another park or B.) is a clone... I mean, Predator is rough, but it's original and it's overall a pretty good ride...well, at least they're getting something

Well, it's nice to see SFDL actually get something, but at the same time, it's a real slap in the face to us around here to only give us some old, single loop, first generation stand-up coaster that nobody else wants.

Doug "Further proof that SF doesn't care about Darien Lake" Booth