1. 1. Battle of the top coaster designers

• Intamin
    • B&M

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Thank you.

I guess I should have further clarified...I meant that the division of Intamin that focuses on roller coasters (Intamin) does not focus on thrill rides (Ride Trade).

My first ride on Raptor last year entailed a 2-minute wait 1/3 of the way up the lift hill during a...mechanical/technical problem... We were the 2nd-to-last train to go before 3-hrs of downtime for the B&M. Now, let me also say that Maverick and TTD also experienced small bits of downtime throughout the day (threatening rain all day didn't help), but I was able to get on those without ridiculous waits. Though I know it is rare, B&Ms DO occasionally have downtime.

Quoted for truth - Raptor broke on me when I was sitting on the brake run. It fact, that breakdown resulted in the loss of an onride video souvenir for me. Also Air at Alton Towers is pretty unreliable in my experience.

Even though I am a total Intamin Fanboy, I do have to say that Fahrenheit was just a huge knockoff of Gerstlauer's business plan, but from the POVs that I've seen, it does look much better than most if not all eurofighters to me

Wrong..It is not that similar to a Gerstlauer. It is longer, taller, faster, more intense, and aside from the first hill I would say its better in all ways. Gerstlauer does have more theming to their rides, something I personally don't give hoot about. Farenheit is way more then a Gerstalauer.

The fact that Intamin is responsible for a ride like Maverick AND a ride like El Toro...AND a ride like S.R.O.S. (Bizzarro) - to me it's no contest.

B&M's, to me, never fail. I like all of them, including Silver Bullet and whatever "lame" rides they have done. They are pioneers and probably the most important/well-known coaster designers around.

But most of their coasters never reach the intensity that several of the Intamins do. Wish they did.

Given what they do, B&M are flawless. If I owned a corporate theme park, I would be all over them. The capacity and the consistency and the "prettiness" - all very crowd pleasing.

But, in a fantasy world, in my own mental theme park, I would have more Intamin's than B&M's. A rocket coaster, a mega-coaster, a pre-fab woodie, a hybrid Maverick style ride...yummy.

I would argue that Intamin is/has been the more innovative company (and not just limited to coasters, all amusement rides).

B&M is a great company at taking an idea and perfecting it. Intamin, perfects ideas as wells as coming up with some of their own great ideas. Intamin is always coming up with new ideas/concepts (bobsleds, various launched coasters, pushing the limits, hypers, half-pipe, 4-D designs, and pre-fabricated wooden coasters).

But, until B&M can make launched coasters that can compete with Intamin, but, more importantly, wooden coasters, they will always be second to Intamin.

On a side note, this poll is extremely vague. I think a debate would be much more productive if it was a bit more focused. Which company is more successful overall? Which company is more successful in respect to their roller coasters? Which company produces better products? Which company produces more intense rides? Which company is more reliable? Which company would parks rather employ? Which company produces great profits for the park it was contracted for? (ie, which company's coasters sells better to the public).

I would argue that Intamin is/has been the more innovative company (and not just limited to coasters, all amusement rides).

I partially agree. It is my opinion though that the birth of the B&M inverted coaster is one of the most important innovations in steel coaster history (as well as being their most popular product.)

I do agree that B&M "perfects" ideas (their versions of stand-up and flying coasters are clearly superior to that of their predecessors).

If the B&M invert is one of the greatest innovations, then does that mean that the Arrow suspended is THE greatest? I mean sure B&M can do much more with their inverted rides, but Arrow was the real pioneer behind the inverted/suspended coaster

I wouldn't say that Arrow suspendeds are the greatest innovation as there are more innovative coasters out there (wooden coasters and steel coasters anyone?). But I do think that Arrow suspendeds are awesome...

B&M's inverts are basically their ONLY innovation though. And many coaster companies (Vekoma, Intamin, etc) have built their own inverts in response to B&M's...

I wouldn't say that Arrow suspendeds are the greatest innovation as there are more innovative coasters out there (wooden coasters and steel coasters anyone?). But I do think that Arrow suspendeds are awesome...

Haha I don't actually think the suspended coaster was the greatest innovation, I was just using that to prove the point that B&M didn't really pioneer the inverted coaster

^ - Um...B&M DID pioneer the inverted coaster. Of course they did. The only similarities between an Arrow suspended coaster and a B&M invert are the fact that they hang below the track. That would be the same as comparing every coaster that features up-right track and calling them the same. I mean, technically you have a point, but the thread isn't "Intamin vs. B&M vs. Arrow."

Besides hanging below the track, I don't see any similarities between suspended coasters and inverted coasters. The suspended coaster is so unique that you almost can't compare it to anything.

Staples of the B&M invert would be inversions, and riders legs hanging without a floor.

We don't have to call it an innovation. We can just call it a "hit." But they are everywhere, and have since inspired almost every other company to design their own versions.

• 1 month later...

^Welcome to TPR. As you can see, we have had rather lively debates about this particular topic; therefore, I merged your thread with our existing B&M v. Intamin thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Although they are both good, Intamin seems to have come up with more above average rides than B&M has. B&M has come out with some fantastic coasters lately, like Diamondback and Behemoth, but really when it comes down to it, Intamin does have more variety, an in general, Intamin coasters rank higher in my count. A lot of B&M coasters focus solely on inversions which is probably part of the reason I am not choosing them, though Batman: the Ride and Dominator are two exceptions because I found them to be above average coasters.. The rest I have been on are just average, besides the Hypers.

So, Intamin. More variety and to me, they produce better coasters.

• 4 months later...

For me? B & M by a longshot.

* Their rides are generally much smoother than Intamins.

* They have a much better safety record than Intamin. IMSORRYBUTITSTRUE!

* Their rides are generally really high capacity. Most B & M coasters can get through 1,400+ people per hour, whilst most intamins can only manage about 1,000-1,400.

* B & M made Nemesis.<3

* B & M's restraints are always simple to put on/take off and are very reliable. Intamins are more faulty and less efficient (Albeit not by much.)

* B & M's trains use 4 across seating without creating a cramped feeling. Some intamins have a serious lack of leg room (Colossus...)

* Maybe I'm crazy, but B & M's almost always have some good positive G's, but I've never noticed any real positive G force on an Intamin ride :l

* B & M have brilliant consistency in what they do. I like their "play it safe" stick to what you're good at business philosophy.

The other side of the argument, these are some things I prefer about Intamin.

* Intamin have much greater innovation.

* One emoticon.

* Most of the worlds best are Intamins.

* Their great flat rides. Drop towers, (the intamin frisbee thing), Bounty (Pirate ship). I'll just say that B & M don't do flat rides, but if they did... (carlsberg reference nobody is going to get I think?)

But overall I'm going to vote for B & M, for the smoothness, consistency, capacity, safety, forcefulness and rider comfort. Much as I love Intamin, I'm sticking with B & M for now

My vote was cast for Intamin. They have made awesome innovations such as hydraulic launch coaster, I simply LOVE the freefall towers , and lastly the ZacSpin coaster: Insane went straight up to be the best coaster I've ever ridden!

Then there's also the sad fact, that the I've ridden only one B&M (that is Silver Star) ...

^Yeah, I've ridden a fair amount and have Tele2 Insane right at the top of my steel coasters list, above biggies like EGF, SFNE Bizarro, Piraten, Goliath Walibi World, and several B&M megas.

I don't think B&M would even attempt a ride as unpredictable as Insane. Also, the forces are way beyond anything B&M has done, from what I've seen.

But, I think I'm a bit unusual in ranking Insane so highly.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

For me, I have to go with B&M. I've simply never ridden a bad B&M and have always had a very smooth and enjoyable experience. Intamin coasters are more intense in my opinion, but B&Ms are just pure fun.

In fact, three of my top 5 steel coasters are B&Ms (1- Behemoth, 2- Apollo's Chariot, 5- Dueling Dragons). The other two are Intamins (3- Bizarro, 4- Ride of Steel).

• 8 months later...