1,050 members have voted

1. 1. Battle of the top coaster designers

• Intamin
    • B&M

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ To me, one coaster does not mean that B&M are going back to their earlier ways. Only time will tell, but I suspect we will get far more fluffy then intense.

I haven't ridden so I can't comment individually but this resonates for me. I think B&M are letting parks dictate terms slightly more than they were maybe 6 or 7 years ago so you will see some bigger/more forceful rides but I think most parks know that Intamin are more comfortable pushing the envelope so will naturally go towards them for the more intense rides that enthusiasts seem to prefer.

We know that they must (or should) be comfortable making rides as intense as their earlier ones given that they were back then (when they were new), right?

That's what I never understood about B&M either. It's almost like they made the first few intense coasters by accident, then said "Sorry folks! We didn't mean to do that; here's a new batch of coasters that are nice and tame for all you GP who will be scared off by something truly intense. But don't worry, you guys running the parks can still market these things as intense, as they still look super intimidating from the ground"

In all seriousness though, I really don't see why they didn't just start building family coasters sooner, and keep their large, intense rides cranked up to 11 like they started out with?

Exactly! I mean, I don't think they started building less intense rides because parks said: "hey, calm down, we don't was rides this crazy". Because then intamin would have been in the same situation. It's not like older B&Ms were more intense than some intmains.

You would think it would be the other way round: a new company starts building tame rides and then as they gain confidence and experience they start pushing the envelope, not like B&M. Isn't there any park that will contact B&M and say: "We want a ride like your older ones: fast and intense"? (because I doubt they would say no)

^ To me, one coaster does not mean that B&M are going back to their earlier ways. Only time will tell, but I suspect we will get far more fluffy then intense.

I haven't ridden so I can't comment individually but this resonates for me. I think B&M are letting parks dictate terms slightly more than they were maybe 6 or 7 years ago so you will see some bigger/more forceful rides but I think most parks know that Intamin are more comfortable pushing the envelope so will naturally go towards them for the more intense rides that enthusiasts seem to prefer.

We know that they must (or should) be comfortable making rides as intense as their earlier ones given that they were back then (when they were new), right?

That's what I never understood about B&M either. It's almost like they made the first few intense coasters by accident, then said "Sorry folks! We didn't mean to do that; here's a new batch of coasters that are nice and tame for all you GP who will be scared off by something truly intense. But don't worry, you guys running the parks can still market these things as intense, as they still look super intimidating from the ground"

In all seriousness though, I really don't see why they didn't just start building family coasters sooner, and keep their large, intense rides cranked up to 11 like they started out with?

It's almost as if you're saying that every single B&M from the mid to late 1990s to now is lame. Now that is NOT true, Hydra at Dorney is a very fun and unique ride and Griffin's first drop and inversions are absolutely amazing.

Both manufacturers are known for different things. B&Ms have nice inversions and floater airtime while Intamin is known more for their willingness to push the envelope and KILLER ejector air.

• 2 years later...

Both are fun in their own ways and both have different types of coasters as well as similar ones (like both have hypers). The older B&M inverts are awesome but I have yet to go on a newer one. I heard the newer ones arnt as intense as the older ones. Which is a shame because the old B&M inverts are awesome!! As for B&M hypers I only been one two. Of course one being older,which is Raging Bull at Great America and a newer one,Make,at SWO. I actually like Make better as its more of an out and back style,which I prefer to twisters. It also has a lot more floater airtime which is neat. I also been on two dive coasters Sheikra and Valravn and while their inversions arnt the most intense the drops on drive coasters is soooo awesome!

As for Intamin I been on two "mega-lites" Maverick and Cheetah Hunt. One giga which of course is M-Force. One hyper which is Ride of Steel at Darien Lake. Two Impulse coasters V2 at Great America and Wicked Twister as CP. I've been on an accelerator coaster too which is Top Thrill. So look at it from what I rode are two totally different sets of coasters. However both coaster companies have one thing in common and thats they both make hypers. So which hyper do I like the best? If I had to pick I'd go with Intamin. As they seem more intense. While floater air is fun I think ejector air is a lot more fun and gives you that "scary roller coaster!" feeling! Even the mega lites pack a punch although I'd admit Maverick is far more intense then Cheetah Hunt. So i love both for its different coasters but since I can only pick one,and hyper/mega coasters are my favorite type of coaster I will have to go with Intamin.

Oh and as for giga coasters that one I cant be for sure yet as i have yet to ride a B&M giga,or any other giga for that matter. So far though M-force is my favorite coaster for its height,drop,and speed. Not to mention the scenery is awesome. Im sure in the future if and when i try other gigas maybe that will change.

Here's my opinion:

If you are looking at how good a coaster is, Intamin shreds B&M to pieces. Intamin makes far better rides. The best Intamin is miles better than the best B&M. In my top manufacturers list, Intamin is #1 (obviously) and B&M is #5.

If you are looking at how good of a company they are, I'd still say Intamin. Yeah, their reliability isn't too great and all, but in the end, Intamin is a cheaper way to get the rides you want.

Just looking at my Top Ten steel by manufacturer, it becomes very clear:

1. Intamin

2. Intamin

3. Intamin

4. RMC

5. Intamin

6. B&M

7. RMC

8. RMC

9. Intamin

10. RMC

And that's without even looking at my wood top ten (which is just icing in the cake for Intamin...). Simply put, B&M makes great second-tier coasters

Now make a thread Intamin vs RMC and we might get some decent conversation between two master-tier coaster companies!

So what's the sole B&M? Fury? Kumba? Nemesis? Inquiring minds want to know. lol

Like you it's Fury! Nobody can deny that coaster is their best!

The great B&Ms that fall short of my top ten, but still make top 25 are Behemoth, Goliath (SFOG), Flying Dinosaur (by FAR the best Flyer), Diving Coaster (Happy Valley)/ShieKra, Fire Dragon (yeah.. higher than Montu and Alpengeist), Leviathan, Nitro, and Diamondback. All amazing coasters in their own right, but I can name plenty of coasters that are better!

I'd say Intamin due to Maverick and having some awesome launch coasters, I love Thunderbird but that's one B&M launch coaster (and Hulk) vs Intamin who has dozens. While it seems B&M is starting to get more intense and more creative with Banshee, Fury, Mako, and Thunderbird, Intamin has been doing great things as well in the past 5 years with Skyrush, Taron, Flying Aces, etc. But honestly both companies create amazing rides, only rivaled by RMC and Mack, and the only boring (haven't ridden a bad) rides I've ridden by them are Wild Eagle and American Eagle.

I often argue back and forth with my friends about this topic but I have always thought Intamin just makes better rides in MY OPINION. B&Ms are usually better for parks in terms of long-term financial performance (They cost less in maintenance and usually have more capacity) but I doubt Cedar Point would be as good as it is without its legendary three intamins. The only one I could see B&M replacing would be Millenium Force as they could easily make a giga with the same style, but B&M would NEVER make something like Maverick or TTD.

My top 10 is:

Intamin

Intamin

Intamin

Intamin

Intamin

B&M

Arrow

B&M

B&M

Intamin

But I do have to say, the Intamins AFTER my top 10 are non-significant (other than Kingda Ka) but there are many great B&Ms that come after my top 10.

And while there are some decent Intamins (including the family type coasters), zero B&Ms I would ever call "decent" on a non-relative rating system.

I voted for Intamin. My top 10 steel goes:

1. Morgan

2. Intamin

3. B&M

4. Intamin

5. B&M

6. B&M

7. Intamin

8. Intamin

9. Intamin

10. Arrow

It's a good mix of companies, but there's more Intamin than anything else. Also, El Toro is my favorite coaster ever. I keep track of my top 20, and in the rest of the list there are 6 B&Ms, 2 Arrows, 1 RMC, and 1 Wiegand.

Intamin.

B&M used to do cool stuff, but Intamin is just way more innovative and pushing the envelope, while B&M are playing it very safe IMO.

One nice thing Intamin could add is a rearview-mirror, so you can watch B&M falling behind.

Intamin by a mile. Intamin has built my #2, #3, and #6 overall plus they build water rides and drop towers. I will admit if B&M still built rides like Montu and Kumba it's be closer but not by much. The airtime and intensity you get on an intamin is so much better than that you get on your typical B&M.