1,050 members have voted

1. 1. Battle of the top coaster designers

• Intamin
    • B&M

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to have to say Intamin here. I have never walked off of any of their rides thinking that it was lame or boring, and their rides age extremely well compared to B&Ms (from my experiences), which is always a plus. Volcano at Kings Dominion is a perfect example. The ride is 16 years old and it is still the smoothest coaster I have ridden!

I want to say B&M, but honestly, their coasters nowadays just aren't as interesting as they used to be. Intamin, on the other hand, has really been innovating and pushing the limits of roller coasters. Also, Intamins in general are a lot more forceful than B&Ms, so I'm going with Intamin.

• 3 months later...

If roller coasters were horses, then B&Ms would be like a reliable old workhorse, like a Clydesdale or a Shire Horse. Physically imposing and intimidating, but easy-going and gentle. Intamins on the other hand are like wild, untamed Arabian horses. Spirited, energetic, graceful, and seemingly dangerous.

God that was schmaltzy, but it's accurate.

• 4 months later...

From a park operations stand point, I'd say B&M is the golden ticket winner. They're fun, reliable, easy to operate, capacity is great, and they could arguably be a bigger hit with the general public.

From a coaster enthusiast stand point, it's SOOO hard to argue against Intamin, especially after riding a ride like i305. Nothing else comes close to it that's not another Intamin designed ride.

I've been on 2 Intamins, American Eagle and Vertical Velocity, both of which I enjoyed very much. I've been on many more B&Ms, though, and all very good: 3 Batmen (SFGAm, SFStL, Goliath at SFFT), Patriot, Raging Bull, Superman at SFFT, and Wildfire. So I have to give the edge to B&M.

I'm surprised how even this poll is. Based on Mitch Hawkers poll, I would have thought this would be a landslide for Intamin br they are actually losing right now.

I think a lot of people put Intamin on their #1 spot but choose B&M coasters as their overall preference. Intamin made the best and the worst coasters yet the worst B&M is still not murder machine.

^ To me, one coaster does not mean that B&M are going back to their earlier ways. Only time will tell, but I suspect we will get far more fluffy then intense.

I haven't ridden so I can't comment individually but this resonates for me. I think B&M are letting parks dictate terms slightly more than they were maybe 6 or 7 years ago so you will see some bigger/more forceful rides but I think most parks know that Intamin are more comfortable pushing the envelope so will naturally go towards them for the more intense rides that enthusiasts seem to prefer.

Up here in Canada, we don't have a whole lot of Intamin coasters (well, La Ronde has 2, but one's a kiddie coaster & one's a "meh" standup coaster, so they really don't count in my books lol ). HOWEVER, intamin makes some of the best drop towers I've been on! They're so great IMO, that at CW, I opted to ride their intamin 2nd gen tower about 5x in a row rather than go on the B&M giga less than 100' away. The drop, although shorter than on both B&Ms in that park, is just so much better!

^ To me, one coaster does not mean that B&M are going back to their earlier ways. Only time will tell, but I suspect we will get far more fluffy then intense.

I haven't ridden so I can't comment individually but this resonates for me. I think B&M are letting parks dictate terms slightly more than they were maybe 6 or 7 years ago so you will see some bigger/more forceful rides but I think most parks know that Intamin are more comfortable pushing the envelope so will naturally go towards them for the more intense rides that enthusiasts seem to prefer.

We know that they must (or should) be comfortable making rides as intense as their earlier ones given that they were back then (when they were new), right?

We know that they must (or should) be comfortable making rides as intense as their earlier ones given that they were back then (when they were new), right?

That's what I never understood about B&M either. It's almost like they made the first few intense coasters by accident, then said "Sorry folks! We didn't mean to do that; here's a new batch of coasters that are nice and tame for all you GP who will be scared off by something truly intense. But don't worry, you guys running the parks can still market these things as intense, as they still look super intimidating from the ground"

In all seriousness though, I really don't see why they didn't just start building family coasters sooner, and keep their large, intense rides cranked up to 11 like they started out with?