TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Battle of the top coaster designers  

1,050 members have voted

1. 1. Battle of the top coaster designers

• Intamin
    • B&M

I had a slight favor towards B&M. However, I recently received a BoC that had an Intamin pen in it. Who'd have thought that would be one of my favorite things in the whole bag. That pen pushed my vote in favor of Intamin.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rides with extensive downtime in 2013:

Intamin: B&M:

Exhibit A. Shoot the Rapids Exhibit A:

Exhibit B. I:305 Exhibit B:

Exhibit C. El Toro Exhibit C:

By the same logic, Arrow and Vekoma must be unreliable too because Ninja and X2 had chain breaking issues.

All coaster have chain break issues that do not take nearly as long to fix as it has taken these rides to be fixed. STR is still closed until further notice.

I think a boat rolling backward down the LIFT hill, and having to send a WHOLE motor away for repair is not the same as a chain break. One would expect the vehicle to stop on the lift, not roll backward and flip.

I have only riden one Intamin so far and that's Cheetah Hunt. It is a fun ride and my seven year old loves it. However B&M coasters are the ones I have had the most experiences with. I'll lean toward B&M for now until I get a few more Intamins under my belt.

^Well that depends on what kind of coaster you're looking for. According to RCDB Intamin has 120 coasters while B&M has 92. That being said, intamin also makes family rides while B&M doesn't (or at least didn't).

Keep in mind, B&M may be a favorite only because they are more diverse.

Intamin built the #1 and #2 wood coaster in the world and the #1 and #2 steel coaster in the world. They've also built the 3 fastest coasters in the world, the 2 tallest coasters in the world, the coaster with the most inversions in the world, the first coaster to break the 300 foot barrier and the first coaster to break the 400 foot barrier.

They've built wood coasters, steel coasters, zac spin coasters, impulse coasters, bobsled coasters, inverted coasters, hypercoasters, gigacoasters, stratacoasters, water coasters, rocket coasters, half-pipe coasters, winged coasters, family coasters, kiddy coasters and standup coasters.

They've also built rapids rides, flume rides, ferris wheels, spillwaters, hyper splashes, reversing flume rides, boat rides, dark rides, simulator rides, swinging ships, observation towers, looping starships and giant frisbees.

They've also built 3 generations of drop towers. The 4 tallest drop towers in the world were built by Intamin. 8 of the 9 tallest drop towers in the world were built by Intamin.

On their website, B&M currently advertises only steel coasters. Wingriders, Hypercoasters, Dive Coasters, Flying Coasters, Floorless Coasters, Inverted Coasters, Sitting Coasters and Stand up Coasters.

Please explain your definition of "diverse". I don't mean this is a confrontational way, I'm just really, honestly curious.

the coaster with the most inversions in the world

Ah! I have to correct you there. Gerstlauer did. Intamin once held that record and so did B&M (Dragon Khan). But yeah, you pretty much demonstrated all the variety that Intamin offers.

the coaster with the most inversions in the world

Ah! I have to correct you there. Gerstlauer did. Intamin once held that record and so did B&M (Dragon Khan). But yeah, you pretty much demonstrated all the variety that Intamin offers.

Good catch, I still thought it was Colossus for some reason. By the way I forgot to mention coasters with drops beyond 90 degrees which is another thing B&M doesn't offer.

Just from experience, I like B&Ms better. On my list of my favorite coasters, there are much more B&Ms at the top than Intamins, such as Alpengeist, Apollo's Chariot, Raptor, Dominator, and Batman-the Ride. Top Thrill Dragster and Maverick are the only Intamins om the top on my list.

Personally I go with B&M because, even though Intamin make much taller rides and such, B&M coaster just feel and look massive (Their hypers in particular), they way the sprawl all over the land and look just huge on the horizon. That side pic of Nitro showing it towering above the treeline is always the first thing that comes into my mind whenever I think of B&M coaster.

Edited by Projektion

Personally I got with B&M because, even though Intamin make much taller rides and such, B&M coaster just feel and look massive (Their hypers in particular), they way the sprawl all over the land and look just huge on the horizon. That side pic of Nitro showing it towering above the treeline is always the first thing that comes into my mind whenever I think of B&M coaster.

What about Millennium force or i305? I get what your saying about B&M but you can't just leave out two of Intamin's giants!

Personally I got with B&M because, even though Intamin make much taller rides and such, B&M coaster just feel and look massive (Their hypers in particular), they way the sprawl all over the land and look just huge on the horizon. That side pic of Nitro showing it towering above the treeline is always the first thing that comes into my mind whenever I think of B&M coaster.

What about Millennium force or i305? I get what your saying about B&M but you can't just leave out two of Intamin's giants!

Milennium Force and the Ride Of Steel coaster, sure; not so much I305, I just don't lke how it stays in that single area. With hypers and gigas, I like ones that seem to use large expanses of space since it gives the ride a much grander/larger feel.

^Well that depends on what kind of coaster you're looking for. According to RCDB Intamin has 120 coasters while B&M has 92. That being said, intamin also makes family rides while B&M doesn't (or at least didn't).

"We don't want to make the most cars, we want to make the best cars." - Henry Ford

"We don't want to make the most cars, we want to make the best cars." - Henry Ford

Agree. Vekoma, Zamperla and Zierer makes a lot of coasters

Intamin does want to make the best, and they do. An intamin has had #1 and #2 on the Golden Ticket list every year since 2001, also Intamin has had #1 and #2 in Mitch Hawker every year since 2001, excluding 2008 and 2009, where Eagle Fortress took second both years. I305, GeForce, Bizarro, Kawasemi, iSpeed, Skyrush, Maverick, and Mega-Lite all finished in the top 10 in Mitch Hawker last year. In my opinion, Intamin has more great coasters than B&M does, not to mention Millennium Force, Goliath, Dragster, Xcelerator, Piraten, and Superman Escape.

Intamin does want to make the best, and they do. An intamin has had #1 and #2 on the Golden Ticket list every year since 2001, also Intamin has had #1 and #2 in Mitch Hawker every year since 2001, excluding 2008 and 2009, where Eagle Fortress took second both years. I305, GeForce, Bizarro, Kawasemi, iSpeed, Skyrush, Maverick, and Mega-Lite all finished in the top 10 in Mitch Hawker last year. In my opinion, Intamin has more great coasters than B&M does, not to mention Millennium Force, Goliath, Dragster, Xcelerator, Piraten, and Superman Escape.

But B&M's bad coasters are much better than Intamin's bad coasters.

P.S. I'm Intamin all the way!

But B&M's bad coasters are much better than Intamin's bad coasters.

P.S. I'm Intamin all the way!

I would disagree. Vortex at Carowinds is one of my bottom three steel coasters. No Intamin is close to being that bad.

PS - Intamin all the way as well!

Furius Baco, back row, outer seats.

If B&M made the exciting ground breaking rides they made in the early to mid 90's I would give them the nod, but their Loopers in the past 10 years have been just plain boring. Look at the pacing of Kumba or Green Lantern/chang, and compare it to one of their newer looping coasters. The pacing is so much slower its not even funny and all the elements have huge drawn out transitions between them vs. their earlier rides which constantly were changing direction or if they did have a big transition it had interesting quirks like the hop between the g roll and cobra roll on Kumba or the hop before the turn around on green lantern.

Intamin on the other hand can still make an Exciting coaster that really wows me today, Something I haven't seen from B&M in quite some years.

^Oh, I haven't had the chance to ride one of those. But yeah, I do agree that B&M bad coasters are better than Intamin's bad coasters.

P.S. A few years ago I was B&M all the way but unless they quickly return to their 90's awesomeness, things will soon be the other way around.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to bring this argument over here so I don't risk starting a fire in that other thread...

Quality over Quantity = B&M

I have said it before:

In 1907 Henry Ford said, "We don't want to make the most cars, we want to make the best cars."

How does that equal B&M? I would think if anything Intamin would be the quality. B&M has more coasters but Intamin's coasters are more regarded as the elite in the world.

More regarded as "elite"? By whom? Us enthusiasts?

The enthusiast opinion means very little to a park unless they specifically ask for it (example: Knoebels asking its fans what ride from their childhood they liked the most). If the enthusiasts ran the parks, the parks would be doomed regardless of how many Intamin Mega Lites and Rocky Mountain wooden coasters they would build.

I know I'm young, but I have never seen a B&M "down" for an extended period of time. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that B&M has made incremental improvements to the quality of its rides while not stepping so far forward that it puts their reliability in question.

ALSO...If you really want to get technical, Intamin has built more coasters than B&M has, plus water rides, flat rides, tower rides, and monorails.

This is an enthusiast's forum so yes, an enthusiast's poll is an accurate representation of what would be considered as elite world wide. The thread that you quoted and this one that you just brought back up ask for the opinion of the forum. Not of the parks. When someone asks, "which coaster manufacturer do parks prefer?" then feel free to copy your post.

Don't forget El Toro. The fact that they made the #1 Steel coaster and the #1 Wood coaster is flat out amazing. I don't think any other manufacturer has ever done that.