TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Battle of the top coaster designers  

1,050 members have voted

1. 1. Battle of the top coaster designers

• Intamin
    • B&M

That's like saying someone owns a car that needs a certain type of fuel and they put in the wrong type and blame the car manufacturer.

Exactly, I dont see why people get all onto Intamin for some of the incidents that have been happening on their rides, like Superman for example. The guy that flew off and died on that everyone blamed Intamin "They made the restraints wrong, terrible engineers!!!... They dont calculate rides right, im never riding one of their rides again!"

This was a mistake made by the park, and now Ive noticed that alot of the Intamin rides (even unlooping coasters) have OTSRs, and thats not their fault, because a ride op made a careless mistake of not checking the lap bar correctly was his fault, not Intamins. But because of an accident or incident(s) on an attraction/coaster wont change my opinions on them.

But thats not what this topic is about, its the infamous B&M/Intamin battle, and if I had to choose between one I dont know if I could. I love so many of the B&M attractions like Dueling Dragons, Hulk, Kumba, Montu, Batman the Ride, and the list just continues. On the other hand Intamin makes mainly their good hypercoaster, but they are the manufactuer of my favorite coaster

-Justin "who loves both B&M and Intamin"

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like B&M and voted that way because of the fact that B&M has more variations on rides. No they dont have a launched stratacoaster, but they do have Dive Machines, Floorlesses, they were the first to have inverted, sit downs, hypers, standups, and flying coasters.

I like B&M and voted that way because of the fact that B&M has more variations on rides. No they dont have a launched stratacoaster, but they do have Dive Machines, Floorlesses, they were the first to have inverted, sit downs, hypers, standups, and flying coasters.

Firsts?

Sit Downs? Only the 4 seater...

Hyper? No, belongs to Arrow

Stand Ups? Nope...Belongs to Togo

Flying? No again... Techincally belong to Skytrack International. But for the sake of the worlds first true flying coaster that lasted, that belongs to Stealth, which is a Vekoma Creation.

B&M is alot like the BASF commercials you see on TV.

"We dont make alot of the rides you ride, we make them better"

They have only truely innovated the Inverted ride and the Dive Machine. Everything else was an improvement on someone elses design. Wether they were planning the same time or not, they were beaten every time.

^ And when you think about it, the inverted coaster was basically a floorless looping version of Arrow's suspended coaster.

Obviously they took that idea and made it a *LOT* better, but it wasn't the first time you saw a coaster hanging from the track above.

--Robb

I have to go with Intamin.

I probably have ridden more B&M's than Intamin, but the Intamin coasters I have ridden are really good. My #1 and #2 coasters are Intamin rides.

B&M just has too many clones.

I think a really under-rated company is Premier. I mean, they have Speed: The Ride in Vegas, Mr. Freeze at SFOT and Poltergeist at SFFT. Three REALLY good coasters, especially without the OTSR's.

Throw in the Mummy rides and soon the Italian Job coasters and I think they are a solid #3.

I went for B&M and this is why; http://www.rcdb.com/id581.htm

Might not be the top coaster in the world, but it's my nr 1 coaster... (Sorry if this choise is a boring one :? )

You shouldn't have to apolojize for liking something, Your favorite coaster is your favorite coaster, its all about opinion my friend!

-Justin "who isn't really a big Kraken friend, but if its someone's favorite thats cool!"

I have many favorites from both manufacturers, but I will probably give a slight edge to Intamin. It still amazes me how some their track is laid out. While most manufacturers build the ride around the floor of the train, Intamin builds it right around your center of gravity.

The reason that Intamin is always getting a bad rep when it comes to safety is that the parks sue them as soon as the accident occurs. This points the fault back to the manufacturer when the park is actually trying to cover up a mistake in the way that they operated the ride. This is probably the case with 9 out of 10 ride accidents. It is just the way that liability works. Everybody is always trying to pass the buck.

I enjoy coasters from both manufacturers but I voted for B&M. It just comes down to the fact that there are several more B&Ms that I consider my top coasters and just plain do it for me than Intamins. I'll take the ride of a majority of B&M loopers over many of the Intamin impulse/halfpipe/rockets that I've ridden. The hypers are kind of a draw but I will say that the Intamins probably get the edge on being thrilling. I'd like to see more built here in the states. I do believe that B&M is still capable of making a interesting ride though. While Hydra doesn't look like a flat out winner I must say that Sheikra sure does.

^ Ugh...see this is why I have always hated polls. No offense to you or anything, but you never get good poll 'data' when you are comparing two items, and some people vote for one over the other because they have never been on the 'other.'

Results will never be good results if it ends up being "I like apples over oranges because I've never eaten an orange."

In that case, I wish people just wouldn't vote. I've seen so many polls over the years about "What Disney theme park is the best" yet parks like Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyland Paris never get any votes because people haven't been to them!

This is why I've always liked Mitch Hawker's coaster polls:

http://www.geocities.com/wcoasterpoll/

His poll is based on what people HAVE ridden and doesn't count what people haven't. It's the ONLY coaster/theme park related poll I'll listen too.

Ok, I'm done with my rant!

--Robb

Intamins safety is inpecible. Lets review the facts:

Hydro: Lady too large for the ride gets on. Water ride + not fitting into restraints + 80 degree drop = coming out. Not Intamins fault, ride wasnt operated properly.

SROS: Man way too large gets on + Park adjusted seat belt that shouldnt have been retrofitted + Lap bar no where near being in correct position + lots of airtime = man coming out.

I find their restraints to be the safest, even over B&M. The seat belts for one you CANNOT break or come out of is fastened and tightened correctly.

Like everything, nothings perfect. Someone will come along and find a loop hole. You cant failsafe anything really truely. Someone will find a way to die or be injured on it. But those are exceptions. If Intamin was having people falling out every time you turn around, then its an issue.

My vote goes to Intamin.

Wasn't Hydro the one with the failsafe restraint failure? Because I heard the girl was normal sized. Perilous Plunge was the incident with the overweight women.

• 8 months later...

To try to breath life to this...

B&M has my vote. B&M has more variety with: StandUp coasters, inverts, hyper, dive machines, floorless, flying coasters, and a rarity, the sit-down. Its rare that you find a rough B&M. Intamin only has, as far as I know, the hypercoaster, rocket coaster, and the woodie, and they are rough more than B&M are.

B&M has my vote. B&M has more variety with: StandUp coasters, inverts, hyper, dive machines, floorless, flying coasters, and a rarity, the sit-down. Its rare that you find a rough B&M. Intamin only has, as far as I know, the hypercoaster, rocket coaster, and the woodie, and they are rough more than B&M are.

It may interest you to know that Intamin did put in a Stand Up coaster:

http://rcdb.com/ig53.htm?picture=5

^ And when you think about it, the inverted coaster was basically a floorless looping version of Arrow's suspended coaster.

I think the rigid attachment makes them a lot different,

B&M just has too many clones.

Can't blame a company for providing what the parks want :?

...I've only ridden one Intamin (Millennium Force). ...but you just can't beat Intamin airtime

Airtime on Millennium being hard to beat?

I think that certain new coaster poping up at the park you derived your username from will probably beat Millennium! (and tha's not saying much IMHO )

I vote B&M. 5 B&Ms in my top 10 for steel, 3 Intamins... and if I look at the top 20 there are 10 B&Ms and only 4 Intamins (mainly due to the number of Intamins I have been on compared to the num. of B&Ms). I also prefer a company that doesn't walk away from its projects.

My B&M and Intamin count is almost equal (currently B&M 4- 3 Intamin) but Intamin is my preferred choice. Out of the 4 B&M's only 2 really made an impact on me, Nemesis and Inferno being huge let downs, while surprisingy i found Air and Oblivion wonderful rides. Batting for Intamin was Shockwave, Colossus and Rita: QOS and after each one I had a smile beaming from ear to ear. Yes they had a rougher edge but they were a lot more enjoyable. Intamin for me.

My vote goes to Werner Stengel.

Hey you were asking for "designers"? Weren't you?

In case you take a look at how many coasters by B&M, Intamin, Premier (plus Vekoma, Zierer, Maurer Söhne, Mack, not to forget the older Schwarzkopf/BHS works) have been either designed or finalized by Stengel & his Team within the last decades, you might find out how ridiculous any such poll might work out. Lookie:

http://rcdb.com/installationresult.htm?column=1,10,3,4,5&order=1,2&contact=30

Recently more and more companies have done complete designs & engineering of their own (B&M and Maurer for instance) which I think is still a kind of "Stengel inheritage", now continued in a worthy way.

Regarding other details as there are restraints, theming, maintainance for instance, do also blame the parks and the authorities. These are the ones to define a lot if not most of the resulting rides, with manufacturers only supplying a certain demand, nothing more.

I won't vote at this "poll". You might understand. Or not. IMHO B&M, Intamin, Premiere, as well as quite a few other coaster companies are simply not comparable in the way of "being the best".

redunzelizer

P.S. You could of course say "I like XXX the most" any time. There's nothing better than a variety in preferences, thus coloring the world. This would have been fine, but sadly was *not* the question of this "poll".

I have always liked Intamin better.

Intamin

-lots of different coaster types

-usually more forces and variety than B&M

-more unique elements

-the really big ones

cons:

-lots of problems

-some of them gets rough after a few years

B&M

-smooth (sometimes too smooth)

-huge inversions

-always very good-looking/beautyful

cons:

-their layouts are often too much the same (loop, dive-loop, 0-G, cobra...)

-they're very expensive

My vote goes to Werner Stengel.

Hey you were asking for "designers"? Weren't you?

In case you take a look at how many coasters by B&M, Intamin, Premier (plus Vekoma, Zierer, Maurer Söhne, Mack, not to forget the older Schwarzkopf/BHS works) have been either designed or finalized by Stengel & his Team within the last decades, you might find out how ridiculous any such poll might work out. Lookie:

http://rcdb.com/installationresult.htm?column=1,10,3,4,5&order=1,2&contact=30

Recently more and more companies have done complete designs & engineering of their own (B&M and Maurer for instance) which I think is still a kind of "Stengel inheritage", now continued in a worthy way.

Regarding other details as there are restraints, theming, maintainance for instance, do also blame the parks and the authorities. These are the ones to define a lot if not most of the resulting rides, with manufacturers only supplying a certain demand, nothing more.

I won't vote at this "poll". You might understand. Or not. IMHO B&M, Intamin, Premiere, as well as quite a few other coaster companies are simply not comparable in the way of "being the best".

redunzelizer

P.S. You could of course say "I like XXX the most" any time. There's nothing better than a variety in preferences, thus coloring the world. This would have been fine, but sadly was *not* the question of this "poll".

4 for me: Mindbender, Jaguar!, Montezooma's Revenge, Xcelerator :o

It may interest you to know that Intamin did put in a Stand Up coaster:

http://rcdb.com/ig53.htm?picture=5

Perhaps, but Intamin's 4 coasters doesn't compare much to B&M's 7.