TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Wearing contact lenses on roller coasters

I'm sorry if this was asked before, but I did search the forum for this topic and found none.

Anyways, I'm wearing contact lenses now and I'm afraid that when I ride on a roller coaster, my eyes and lenses would become dry and the lenses would just fly off because of the wind. Did it happen to anyone? Because sometimes when I'm even walking, my eye would get irritated by my lenses for a while.

So, should I wear them or not? If I don't, I'm completely blind.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, Welcome on the boards! Next, I think I can answer your question! I am an optician and I know a lot about contact lenses, and also wear them by myself from time to time! You can be sure, you will not lose your lenses by riding a coaster! I have never heard something like that before! You can lose you lenses, if you rub your eye to much, or if you open your eyes under water (maybe in a swimming pool)! The only thing what could happen, is that your lenses and your eyes become a bit dry, but be sure the lenses will not fly off! It could be a strange feeling, but thats it! Its like you are in a room with AC. Then you can open and close your eyes a few times, that the tear liquid moistens the contact lenses, or you have some solution! Okay, I hope that helpes a bit!

--Sören

Robb wears contacts 24/7, I have only ever seen him lose two.

One on The Storm at Wet n Wild.

One when I smacked him in the eye and it flew out while driving on I-4!

No problems on coasters, but yes, they will get dry so bring drops and spares.

So if I bring solution to "cure" my dry lenses, do I have to take them off and soak it? You can't just put it in your eyes, can you? XD

No, just sit down and put the nozzle in the corner of your eye, and put a drop in. There is no need to take the lens out just to put solution on it. I would also recommend wearing a pair of sunglasses on the coasters, so you don't even have to worry about your eyes getting dry. Just be sure to bring the solution anyway, in case the sunglasses fly off of you on a ride. Told from an enthusiast who has had contacts for three years!

Contacts aren't a problem on rides. I was pretty curious about it, too, because before I went to CP this year (the May 14 trip, mind you), I'd had contacts for only about 3 months. I brought an extra "travel-sized" bottle of solution and some extra contacts, just in case. Stored it in a locker, but didn't end up needing it.

Don't worry about it.

One when I smacked him in the eye and it flew out while driving on I-4!

Ouch!

I-4 East Closes After Multiple-Vehicle Accident

POSTED: 11:53 am EDT July 7, 2005

UPDATED: 4:18 pm EDT July 7, 2005

Email This Story | Print This Story

Interstate 4 eastbound was closed at state Road 44 Thursday morning after a multiple-vehicle accident.

Interstate 4 eastbound is closed near DeLand after a head-on collision Thursday morning.

More Images

TRAFFIC WATCH

# Check DOT Traffic Cams

# Check Traffic Conditions

The westbound lanes were also stop and go, WESH 2 News reported.

The accident involved at least one head-on collision, and several other cars were involved.

Eight people refused treatment and two people were transported by ambulance to Halifax Medical Center in Daytona Beach in stable condition.

Several cars were in the median near the DeLand exit.

Eastbound traffic exited the highway onto S.R. 44.

All lanes reopened later in the day.

4694232_320X240.jpg.3114b74614953904f7b21f7db5961ed3.jpg

I really want to get contacts too, because I get tired of taking my glasses off and stuffing them into my pockets along with my phone, wallet, and camera every time I get on a ride. Ninja @ SFOG broke both of my glasses cases (I'm glad they were hard cases and my glasses were not damaged). After 2 more rides on Ninja, one of the cases was so bent that my glasses would not fit in them anymore, so I just use it as a phone case, now

just make sure you put the saline in your eyes, and not the cleaner.

if the bottle has a red tip, DO NOT put it in your eyes.

I've been wearing contacts for about seven or eight years. i wear them pretty much all the time, and have never had a problem. Like everyone before me has said, they only randomly pop out if you rub your eyes too much.

just wanted to add the bit about not putting cleaner in your eyes. ouch!

I really want to get contacts too, because I get tired of taking my glasses off and stuffing them into my pockets along with my phone, wallet, and camera every time I get on a ride. Ninja @ SFOG broke both of my glasses cases (I'm glad they were hard cases and my glasses were not damaged). After 2 more rides on Ninja, one of the cases was so bent that my glasses would not fit in them anymore, so I just use it as a phone case, now

Um, Croakies?

I strap my glasses on, and though it looks nerdy, it does the job. Sometimes ops doublecheck to make sure my specs are secure, but the only rides I couldn't take with secured glasses were Xcelerator and Speed: The Ride, and last time I was in Vegas, Speed had changed its policy to allow 'em.

Hell, at 80 mph, I'd rather have some eye protection, anyway.

I've always worn contacts when I ride. It's nice to see what's going on around me (especially peripherally, if i'm paying attention). But be sure to remember to blink a lot.

Your natural instinct is to keep your eyes open to take everything in, but your contacts will dry quickly reminding you to blink, especially at high speeds...But otherwise, you should be alright.

• 10 years later...
I'm sorry if this was asked before, but I did search the forum for this topic and found none.

Anyways, I'm wearing Sharingan Contacts now and I'm afraid that when I ride on a roller coaster, my eyes and lenses would become dry and the lenses would just fly off because of the wind. Did it happen to anyone? Because sometimes when I'm even walking, my eye would get irritated by my lenses for a while.

So, should I wear them or not? If I don't, I'm completely blind.

I am also a wearer of contact lenses. And faced the same problem before three months then I change my contact lens and my eyes are never dry again from wind, you should try it replace your contact lens. May be that contact lenses are not suit your eyes