TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Review POSTING RULES!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you please add use proper English to the list? It is crazy how bad some people are with it.

No! Please No!!!

Is the occasional grammar mistake okay?

READ the posting rules and you will have answered your own question.

--Robb

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I know the moderators on this site do a very good job in monitoring the postings, rules, and so on, but I have a question regarding a couple of the rules.

Lately, I have witnessed quite a few videos that appear to be other peoples work (on other sites/forums) and the posting individual(s) is taking credit for the video and/or not even giving credit to the original author. It appears to become quite common on other sites and I personally feel I have witnessed a couple of instances on this site (even a carbon-copy from the orginal site).

I would need to gather the information and facts to back-up the claim, but would be open to opinions of the moderators, owner on ways to report it. I know this may be childish or "tattle-tale" post, but I strongly feel it would be a violation of the (site) rules and an act of plagiarism.

Is there an opinion, rule, or suggestion on ways to inform the member(s) about it?

Also, there are a couple of instances where a member(s) appears to blatantly break park rules just to record a POV video (and sometimes brag about how he/she did it). I know that appears in the rules forum, but what action would be appropriate if any member(s) witnesses the violation?

For example, a park has a specific rule-no cameras or videotaping on rides and the guest takes/sneaks a video anyway. When I worked for BGE/BGA they had specific rules on videotaping and some guests have blatantly abused the rule. I have also witnessed some serious injuries from debris (videotaping device) being lost on the ride cycle.

Some other forum sites are making the rules for video posting much stronger. For example, here is a link regarding some recent actions on video posting (perhaps even piracy):

http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/announcement.php?f=155

Any comments?

Is there an opinion, rule, or suggestion on ways to inform the member(s) about it?

Also, there are a couple of instances where a member(s) appears to blatantly break park rules just to record a POV video (and sometimes brag about how he/she did it). I know that appears in the rules forum, but what action would be appropriate if any member(s) witnesses the violation?

EMAIL OR PM ONE OF THE MODS!!!

Nothing can be done about it if we don't know about it. It's impossible for us to "police" every video or every post no matter how many admins we have here. And we're not going to know if something is someone elses video if we haven't seen it posted to another site by the person that actually owns it, etc.

So if you know of something like this, by all means let us know! Otherwise we'll have no idea.

--Robb

i agree with kumba9 robb the site has to report this activity to the parks i have seen a lot of this going on at sfmm. to matters worse the staff on a few of the rides allow it so it just tells tpr and thrillnetwork rookies that its ok to pull these stunts i will help inforce this policy with all the power i have mind you i still have tight connections so let me know how i can help with this growing problem

^ We cannot, nor do we have a right to accuse anyone of any illegal actions they might do at a park. If we see something that appears to be illegal, we can remove the content from the site and ban them from TPR, but taking it beyond that could result in a liability to us. After all, it's their word against ours, and we weren't there to witness it, and sometimes what is in photos or videos isn't always as it seems. We have been accused of doing things because of how it "appeared" in a photo, when in reality we weren't doing anything wrong.

We can police what is being said or being uploaded to the site, but it's up to the individual to behave at parks and follow the rules.

--Robb

I might not always ask the ride ops if I can shoot a POV, (language is often a barrier at the parks I visit) but I make sure that they see that I have a camera in my hand when they do the restraint checks. If they say no, I don't shoot, and I don't sneak my camera onto rides.

As for 'stealing' videos and posting them elsewhere, I would not have a problem as long as my cheesy credits remain at the front and back of the footage. If for example, someone claims to have shot POV of Diavalo at Himeji Central park, and the commentary is obviously me, I'd be pretty upset and would want to know about it.

robb your right i can be a helpful tool to watch for posting about breaking park policy and notify you all you got to do is ask

Dude give it a rest ...like he said they just cant go around pointing fingers and trying to figure out if every video on this site was taken w/ permission or not. They can only assume that it is and if its brought to their attention (probably by the park themselve) then it will be taken off. Enjoy the site for whats it worth!

robb your right i can be a helpful tool to watch for posting about breaking park policy and notify you all you got to do is ask

Dude give it a rest ...like he said they just cant go around pointing fingers and trying to figure out if every video on this site was taken w/ permission or not. They can only assume that it is and if its brought to their attention (probably by the park themselve) then it will be taken off. Enjoy the site for whats it worth!

Well said. I can't police everyone, and frankly I shouldn't have to, I can just ask that when at parks, please obey the posted rules.

--Robb

• 1 month later...

Robb can we add quite specifically to the rules that people should not post about how to illegally obtain software... I see this come up occasionally in the video game board and have seen similar posts in the other boards.

I do try to suggest editing the posts and the like but having a specific rule to point to would help. I always try to suggest open-source alternatives to software that people are looking for so that I can at least help.

I have an idea or suggestion, but I may get banned for writing this because it may give Robb alot of work in "installing" it...heheheh

It may also just be a tweak in actually initiating this into the website, but I would leave that up to the site owner(s) to determine that. Some of these may already be in effect or on the drawing board, but did want to mention it just a random thought.

Here it goes:

1. Since the mods and site owner(s) appear to keep posting links to the rules and specify that each newbie (or older members) about following the rules, I would like to make a suggestion about having this thread having a bold print lettering and RED color text so each new member will see this before entering the index/forum(s) page. I notice this more on the general forums page. Double-posts or topics appear to be more frequent lately and most of them do not use the search feature. (Perhaps make the text on the SEARCH link in a red/bold-face text).

2. Each new member should be required to read the thread and acknowledge that he/she has read the rules. In fact, I could make the suggestion of having them link directly to this page/thread as soon as their registration/confirmation is completed. This would be initiated before any new member has access to the forums/index page(s). I believe this may already be in effect, but I forgot actually.

3. I know all of us are not perfect and we do miss punctuation (and such) from time to time, but lately there appears to be some members who just don't take the time to proof-read their own comments or make an effort to edit their post and the mods appear to be "babysitters" or housekeepers in mentioning it to the member. Most of the foreign members actually make more of an effort than members in the US (go figure). Some of the comments/post really are just hard to read and then members go at each other either:

a. What did he/she say? (punctuation/sentence flow).

b. Comments turn into arguments between members.

c. We have to ask the member what he/she is talking about, etc.

**d. Not providing a proper credit link or providing credit to a member. This is occuring quite frequently lately and some posts are starting "wars" among members. A normal discussion end up being about bashing other members for not providing backup or proof to their claim/rumor.

I admit I am guilty in questioning a member(s) for not providing proof/credit, but it actually is a way of asking for information that can be available if we so choose to research/read the information (and not ask stupid questions when the answer is already in a link/credit). I know the moderators work hard in policing the site, but the suggestions are only a way of perhaps reducing the workload the moderators have to do, so they can attend to their other duties.

Thanks for the time! Kudos to the mods.

You could have the search link spit out fireworks and there would still be people who wouldn't use it.

There is no way to ensure that the users actually read the rules.. especially 14000 of them.

I mean your ideas/intentions should be commended but they are probably not going to help :-\

^ Agreed. Basically, you have to read the rules before you can register. Remember that little box you checked that said "do you agree to the TOS?" Well, if you didn't read it, and you violate the TOS, then you get warned...then you get banned.

It's quite simple.

Really, if you have any common sense, you'll never actually violate the TOS anyway, and it's a really good way to weed out the people without common sense.

--Robb

Ok. Just a thought.

I'm not trying to get myself "banned" from the site...lol

I just notice it appears to be more work for the mods to constantly "police" the site with locking posts (when some members can just use the search button, etc). I guess with increasing members signing up, the incidents that occur are going to be more frequent. I'm sure its frustrating. But, perhaps some of the members don't take the time to do that. I do think they (mods) do a good job.

In reference to my comment on those who do not give/provide credit for a link or rumor, it just is frustrating because they claim a " reliable-source", but expect the other members to research it themselves and we have to ask questions to refer back to that source. I did not post my earlier comments/suggestions in a negative manner by any means and hope it was not taken that way.

Maybe this would help people read the TOS and use the featers of the forums.

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/2324

This hack allows you to make a tour of the forums for users. You might be able to make reading the TOS part of the tour. Also, I don't if its possble but you might be able to make it manditory that they take the tour before they make their first post on the forums.

The best way to get people to follow the rules is to do exactly what we've been doing--posting replies that point people to the rules, locking threads and explaining search, etc. etc.

I'm assuming most new members lurk for a little bit before signing up and posting, and thus they'll see the instances where a mod needed to straighten something out. Lead by example.

A vast majority of our posters follow the rules, it's only a small percent (usually younger kids) that we have to take some sort of disciplinary action.

Honestly, the forum is extremely clean and well organized, especially for how many active members there are.

• 4 weeks later...