TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most underated woodies

So what is everyone's most underated woody? I personally have run into some gems that have climbed to the top of my charts and yet seemed to be ignored by everyone else, or at least not as well thought of as they should be. My personal most underated is Ozark Wildcat at Celebration City in Branson. That coaster has some insane banking, 8 moments of forceful airtime and actually has some powerful lateral g's (at least for GCI ) ! It can kick that pile of wood's ass in Pigeon Forge!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than locals, I hardly hear anything about the classic Giant Dippper @ SCBB. That thing isn't the tallest or the fastest but it is one of the best coasters I've ridden. It is very well taken care of right down to the paint. It has plenty of good pops of air and hardly any banking for some good laterals.

Viper at SFGAm as well as Georgia Cyclone at SFOG. These rides are insane! They are both so intense. Cyclone is a little bit more understandable that it doesn't get so much mention because it really gives you a thorough beating, but it is a gem. It's actually my favorite woodie. Viper is an amazing ride as well. So incredibly intense. The lateral g's on this thing or mindblowing.

Comet at Hershey Park. It has lots of air time and a good layout, but it gets ignored with Wildcat and Lightning Racers in the park

In my eyes, Comet is a ruined coaster. I does not deliver rides anywhere near it's potential. It is still a decent ride though. Just a sad disappointment to those who rode it before.

I will give my underated woodie vote to ... Twister (Knoebels)

Rattler at Six Flags Fiesta Texas

I know, I know, I caught it at a good time. But I don't care. It rocked last year!!

I rode it last year to and was a bit suprised, I was expecting total crap and it really wasn't, it is just so tragic...... that ride has so much potential.... the first and second drops were awesome but everything after that Six Flags had to go and brake.....

Ghostrider at Knotts. It may not be as smooth as it used to be, but it is NOT anywhere close to a shadow of its former self! It still has pops of airtme and a lot of lateral Gs. I think it just got rougher over the years.

(Hey, Knotts didn't ruin Ghostrider like SFMM ruined Collosus. )

I'd have to go with The Ozark Wildcat ( I like it more than Thunderhead) and The Legend. The Legend gets respect as a good coaster but not a top coaster. I don't know if maybe it's too aggressive for many people to call it a top coaster but I love it. Also, the Tornado and Outlaw at Adventureland are both very good rides but you rarely hear anything about them (probably because it's more of an out of the way park).

But Ghostrider isn't an "underrated" woodie. It came in #13 this year on the wood coaster poll.

http://www.geocities.com/wcoasterpoll/wcprs04.txt

Although appropriately declining over the years in the poll. But still at #13 that places is it in the top ten in the US.

If anything, I think Ghostrider is overrated!

--Robb

Another vote here for the Giant Dipper at the SCBB. It was the first woodie I ever rode, and I must say I was spoiled. It has a perfect layout, plenty of speed, plenty of nice surprises, and I especially like the drop out of the station.. not to mention that it's incredibly smooth. I was under the impression that ALL wooden roller coasters were that good. Boy was I wrong.

Yoshifan:

Comet at Hershey Park. It has lots of air time and a good layout, but it gets ignored with Wildcat and Lightning Racers in the park

What coaster have you been riding? Comet has NO airtime. It's severely braked and the entire (supposed) air-filled ending is just akward. The train crawls.

Looking at the coaster, and knowing it's a Schmeck, it's clear that Comet is underperforming due to the sh*tty brakes.

-kip-

I'd have to go with The Ozark Wildcat ( I like it more than Thunderhead) and The Legend. The Legend gets respect as a good coaster but not a top coaster. I don't know if maybe it's too aggressive for many people to call it a top coaster but I love it.

Yay! Someone who agrees that Ozark Wildcat is one kick ass woodie. Why is everyone so damn hyped up about Thunderhead when Ozark Wildcat is just sitting calmly in Branson with so much more airtime and so much more forces than Thunderhead. I also agree with the fact that Legend is underated, although it may be ranked like #5 it is WAY better than Shivering Timbers, it actually has lateral g's and not just in an overly rough piece of crap finale like ST. Plus last Year with the retracking of the first drop, the back seat was out of this world. I almost tempted liking Legend more than Raven for a couple of minutes. I also think that New Mexico Rattler is underrated, way better than a lot of the top 20.

Swamp Fox at Family Kingdom and Wild One at Six Flags America both are smoother than most and provide some nice airtime.

My personal most underated is Ozark Wildcat at Celebration City in Branson. That coaster has some insane banking, 8 moments of forceful airtime and actually has some powerful lateral g's (at least for GCI ) ! It can kick that pile of wood's ass in Pigeon Forge!

Yay! Someone who agrees that Ozark Wildcat is one kick ass woodie. Why is everyone so damn hyped up about Thunderhead when Ozark Wildcat is just sitting calmly in Branson with so much more airtime and so much more forces than Thunderhead.

Have you even ridden Thunderhead? I'm sure Wildcat is great(I'll find out in June..).. but I doubt it "kicks thunderheads ass," especially at night.

Have you even ridden Thunderhead? I'm sure Wildcat is great(I'll find out in June..).. but I doubt it "kicks thunderheads ass," especially at night.

Yes I have ridden Thunderhead, making comparisons before riding both is idiotic so since I have ridden both I have the right to compare them. I have ridden Thunderhead on a hot, muggy Tennessee day, in the rain and in the shine, early and late (total of about 15 times). And I have ridden Ozark Wildcat in the dark, in the rain, in the dark while it was raining and on an extremely muggy day and Ozark Wildcat is in my opinion is so much better. In 2003 I rode OW and was blown away, and when I followed the construction of Thunderhead I got really pumped for it because it looked like it would be such an awesome ride, and better than Ozark, but when I rode it last July I was horribly dissapointed. Don't get me wrong Thunderhead is an awesome ride, just not that awesome.