TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Minor Earthquake in Valencia

robbalvey

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DIE!!!!

Although I didn't even feel this one which is odd since I've felt the other two "3's" we've had that have been centered in Valencia.

I hope RatTums' is okay!!!!

Elissa "needs to leave work and go check on my rodent!" Alvey

DIE!!!!

Although I didn't even feel this one which is odd since I've felt the other two "3's" we've had that have been centered in Valencia.

I hope RatTums' is okay!!!!

Elissa "needs to leave work and go check on my rodent!" Alvey

I don't know about RatTums but my old hamster used to completly freak out over an earthquake.

Looks like we got a 3.6 in Valencia today.

Thats nothing we had a 6.1 that day

Zane "It was at 4.09 am" Williams

Of course it was nothing...I never said it was something. It was only a 3.6 and hardly anyone felt it.

--Robb "It was just interesting that it was near SFMM!" Alvey

Thats nothing, I had to goto work at 4:30am (training), then when I get out of class, Albuquerque is havin' a FREAKIN BLIZZARD, it was 72 degrees two days ago!

Looks like snow and a lows in the twenties, good times.

And I lived 11 miles from the epicenter of the 1989 quake the stoped the world series, a 7.6 if I remember correctly

We lost the chili beans on the stove

I cried (What can I say I love chili)

In 2002, there was an earthquake with an epicenter about 2 hours from my hometown that registered somewhere around a 5 or a 6. I don't remember the exact strength, but it was weird. And yes, you might take note of my location. It was quite strange. It actually shook my house even with the distance between where I live and where the epicenter was. I never thought an earthquake would ever strike where I live.

Man I remember the Loma Prieta Earthquake...

I was like 8 at the time and I remember we were outside the local K-mart and the ground just started moving and we could hear the shelves and stuff inside the store collapsing and people screaming...

I lived in SanJose near Cupertino at the time...

Funny the things you remember isn't it.

Ah yes..the memories...My cousin and I were around 5 years old at the time playing with hotwheels cars on our picket fence pretending that was the bay bridge and cars were falling off. Next thing I remember, my cousin and I were dragged into the house and were told to stay under the table. My initial thought was "WTF?? What's going on?" I later found out it was an earthquake and found out what exactly earth quakes are. After that, I saw the horrifying pix of the bay bridge upper deck

Kinda like that...That whole earthquake experience was scary.

This brings up something of a pertinenet question: Exactly what size and type earthquake are roller coasters, in general, designed to withstand? I can't say that the thought of an earthquake happening while I was on a ride hasn't crossed my mind. (Living in California, and riding coasters primarily in the bay area and LA) In fact, as I was riding Kong this past Saturday, it almost felt like there was an earthquake during the ride. Of course, I knew that was just the way it always feels... :? But still...?

Coasters will sway plenty and unless they are built right over a fault nothing terrible will happen. Of course if a park did build over an unknown fault that could be bad as the track could possibly rip apart. Of course the chance of that happening are about as good as you winning the lottery twice...

In other words it could potentially happen but a lot would have to go wrong in a big way. I mean a coaster is gonna hold up when other things are collapsing because it is built to endure forces.

Early last summer I was at Sea World when there was an earthquake. They had to shut down all the rides for a few hours to walk the track and do saftey checks. I take it Magic Mountain does the same?

Looks like we got a 3.6 in Valencia today.

Thats nothing we had a 6.1 that day

Zane "It was at 4.09 am" Williams

cough: didn't happen :cough

Ok it happend at 4.08 am and heres prof the first is the quake

second is one later that day and where i live in levin

http://www.geonet.co.nz/x2376455g_l.html

http://www.geonet.co.nz/x2376734g_l.html

Zane "enjoy" Williams

How does an earthquake feel? I still never experienced.

--Soeren

Well, your just sitting at your computer and you think you felt a little jerk. Then you stop everything that your doing and then it happens! Just kinda shake your head and watch your room kinda shake around. But it really depends on the size of the earthquake.

How does an earthquake feel? I still never experienced.

--Soeren

I've experienced a tremor once. Their was an earthquake that hit Plattsburg, NY and I live all the way in Connecticut. What happend was I was going to walk out of my bedroom and I started noticing my head board of my bed starting to shake, at first I thought it was blasting at the quarry, but it lasted for at least 30 seconds. I completely froze in my tracks and just started at everything shaking. Then it stopped, my sister yells out into the hallway, "What the hell was that!?" and Dad responded from his bedroom, "it was probably an earthquake, go to bed."

I was up early in the morning getting ready to go to Six Flags New England.

I was in the northridge in 94, was visiting some friends in LA during the time. It was the craziest thing ive ever been through. Trees shook, car alarms went off, Nothing like the fire department telling you to get out, in your PJ's no less, because the gas line sprung a leak. It was like the ground was made of jello-o

I really don't think there's a good way to explain just how it feels. You hear people say "Giant Truck, blasting, jello, etc.", but it just feels wrong! It's one of those things that you take for granted that the earth under your feet is solid...feeling it move all of a sudden is a really creepy thing.

They also all feel different, depending on where they are, how deep they were centered, etc.

Elissa "don't like them!" Alvey

Although it suprises some people, we do have earthquakes here in the midwest. Once, about 20 years ago, I had just picked my car up from having it serviced. It was an old, '76 or '78 Pontiac Sunbird, and I was having a problem with it every other day, or so it seemed. So, anyway, I am sitting in the driveway of my house and the car wouldn't start, even tho' I had just gotten it fixed. I slammed my hands on the steering wheel and the next thing I knew the whole car starts shaking, I could hear and feel the gas running back and forth through the tank, I thought the car was going to explode. I jumped out and went screaming to my mom and my neighbor, who were looking at me like I was crazy, because they were in their houses and didn't feel it. About two minutes later, my nieces and nephews, who lived down the street, came running down yelling "Did you feel the earthquake?"

Shari "Thank God I wasn't crazy" Shoufler