TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

2 New Vekoma Coaster Concepts

Entitled "Big Air" Looks like a themed variation of the Hammerhead stall coaster concept from a few years back. Looks like a kool theme, but I think its lame that the trains stall, then turn instead of turn while free-falling.

The other is Splash Party, looks like a suspended coaster adapted to the concept of the Swing Thing. Looks like Vekomas been working behind the scenes. Both coasters look like fun. What do you think?

http://www.vekoma.com/rides_thrill_mega/big_air.htm

http://www.vekoma.com/rides_fam_coasters/splash_party.htm#

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Frankly, the Splash Party concept is just outright theft. How many of the Roller Soakers have been installed so far? They improve the concept by allowing multiple 'water bomb' drops, but aside from that?

Meh.

The Hammerhead Stall modification didn't thrill me either, especially as they never even installed the original version anywhere..

I'll be more impressed if they ever pull off the Thrill Lift concept, or if they ever sell the 10-inversion model that's been on the site for ages.

RollerMonkey wrote:

Frankly, the Splash Party concept is just outright theft.

Hehe, did you really expect more from Vekoma? Their niche is taking proven designs and creating their own version, price it affordably, then cloning it to high hell. For example:

B&M Inverted > SLC

Arrow Suspended > Swinging Turns

FOF > RnRC

RollerMonkey wrote:

Frankly, the Splash Party concept is just outright theft.

Hehe, did you really expect more from Vekoma? Their niche is taking proven designs and creating their own version, price it affordably, then cloning it to high hell. For example:

B&M Inverted > SLC

Arrow Suspended > Swinging Turns

FOF > RnRC

Dont forget that B&M "stole" the flying coaster concept from Vekoma

I think suspended and half pipe coasters are great and I bet these would both be lots of fun, copies or not, but I have no hope that one of these rides will show up at my home park SFGADV any time soon with SF still in the tallest, fastest, steepest, longest, greatest whatever mode. Forbid they should put in something that's just fun and doesn't break any records.

I also think the Big Air ride would be cool spinning while moving, but looking at the animation it doesn't look like they're thinking that way by the lack of clearance in the towers and loading platform.

Fantasy Island would have had the original Hammerhead Stall, but after Vekoma made such a mess of Jubilee Odyssey, they won't be getting another Vekoma coaster for a very long time.

I heard they are still doing modification on Jubilee...such sadness.

That work is all finished now. The horseshoe turn after the Cobra roll is now several feet lower, this was where the train was valleying consistently.

I just wish they had modified it to make it smoother!

Well the Big Air thing is basically stealing from Intamin. Its mainly just a half pipe coaster right?

yes, except that the "big air thing" is just a half-piped themed hammerhead stall, and the hammerhead stall is a very old vekoma concept, predating intamin's "half pipe", and, actually, i believe, predating intamin's rise to massive acclaim in recent years, back when they were just the company b&m used to work for.

what i like about the new concept is the trains! they look a lot more comfortable than standard vekoma trains, and, as you may notice, there seems to be "looping" and "nonlooping" versions (with or without shoulder straps), which may mean we'll see one, with, uh, loops!

it is a borrowed concept, but, for a change, they seem to be improving the concept, instead of ruining it.

Quote:

viking wrote:

Ahh, but I'd be willing to bet B&M had been working on the flying concept for years before Vekoma even started. But yes, Vekoma's opened first.

You cant forget that B&M improved the flying coaster. Anyways even if B&M stole the flying coaster, Vekoma stoll the inverted coaster and just made it suck.

I never saw this concept of restraints by Vekoma, is it new ?

It seems to be made of rubber or silicon, it could be a lot better thans slc's restraints, do you guys think it could be use for inversions ? Looks great to me...

as i said above, there appears to be 2 versions of the trains, ones with shoulder straps (the two on the sides in the picture you've shown), and one without shoulder straps (the one in the middle in the picture you've shown. there's no reason for there to be 2 unless one is for inversions (with shoulder straps), and the other isn't (without shoulder straps).

Quote:

viking wrote:

Ahh, but I'd be willing to bet B&M had been working on the flying concept for years before Vekoma even started. But yes, Vekoma's opened first.

You cant forget that B&M improved the flying coaster. Anyways even if B&M stole the flying coaster, Vekoma stoll the inverted coaster and just made it suck.

Yeah youre right! My point was just that it sounded like some people here meant that Vekoma has stolen all of their ideas from other companies, and other companies like B&M and Intamin has never done any of that.

/quote]

You cant forget that B&M improved the flying coaster.

Actually (and I'm a huge B&M fan), I can think of no particular way in which snoozy S:UF is an "improvement" over the Vekoma fliers I've ridden, except maybe comfort...

I'd say Big Air is meh, while Splash Party looks decent. But if I were to get anything from Vekoma it would be 2 things

#1. Roller Skater: I like these little coasters, not much pain at all!

#2. Madhouse: Ok this is NOT a coaster but I think this is quite a creative darkride. Just give it a nice theme and music and you got a pretty decent attraction! I'd say Villa Volta and Hex are some of the best. Believe it or not Mack copied Vekoma with their "Witchhouse" . But there just not as good as Vekoma.