TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PKD's Flight Of Fear Being Removed?

Losing Flight of Fear would be drag. It went from being a skull-cracking migraine machine with OSRs to a bone-rattling good time with the new lap restraints.

But, yes, PKD does have more than its share of launched coasters (rather like "doing launch" myself).

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rode PKI's version the back row and I got tossed around like a rag doll! PKD's version is pretty good. If they do take out FoF, just head north and ride the Joker's Jinx. It's pretty much the same thing, except Joker's Jinx is not in a box.

Maybe with the addition of another launched coaster, PKD needs to build their own nuclear (its pronounced "nuculer") power plant. Since they don't have neither the time nor the money now, they just randomly decided to close down the oldest launched coaster they have until 2007 when the plant is opened. They would have chosen Hypersonic, but they may finally have that thing running consistantly!

I'm with the "retheming" peoples, as the Flight of Fear is kinda pointless and confusing without the Outer Limits portion of it. Now the big question, "is it another credit, Jeff?"

Retheming this ride to anything MTV would seriously suck beyond all necessary suckiness! Why on earth would they change something as classic and timeless as sci-fi and replace it with something that will end up outdated in less than 5 years? I can't stand the mentality of some park management teams, trying to keep everything "hip" and "edgy" for today's generation. If this retheme does go through (as I also highly doubt they'll rip out an entire ride) it'll end up costing more in the long run. Just my HO.

Well so far they made one good modification to that ride and one bad.

The new lap bars was a great change...

but I really hated it when the removed the Outer Limits theming. One of my favorite parts of the queue was the Outer Limits Intro.

There is nothing wrong with your television. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are now controlling the transmission. We control the horizontal and the vertical. We can deluge you with a thousand channels or expand one single image to crystal clarity and beyond. We can shape your vision to anything our imagination can conceive. For the next hour we will control all that you see and hear. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the deepest inner mind to the outer limits."

I just had a thought...could they be trying to make a whole new themed area since IJ:whatever the name is this week is opening up?

I always thought it was weird that FoF was in the Congo section, as is Avalanche. (Snow is a major issue in the Congo? The hell?)

I can still remember the bad ass FOF commercial back in 1995-1996.

Remember years ago?... When you were afraid... frightened... terrified of the dark?

Prepare yourself for the Outer Limits: Flight of Fear -- the scariest, darkest, most twisted rollercoaster EVER!

Face your fear. Only at Paramount's Kings Dominion.

When did amusement park commercials begin to suck? They used to be so creative.

All of these Premier launched coasters had a pretty rough start but I think are all consistently good rides with the new trains. I can't imagine throwing them out; these parks spent an awful lot of money on them and they work just fine these days.

I've ridden FoF and Batman and Robin the Chiller before and after new trains, and they are completely different rides. If they had only started off this way, we'd probably see a lot more of them.

I rode PKI's version the back row and I got tossed around like a rag doll! PKD's version is pretty good. If they do take out FoF, just head north and ride the Joker's Jinx. It's pretty much the same thing, except Joker's Jinx is not in a box.

PKI's version ran a lot better than PKD's to me. I last rode both in 2004 and PKD's was heavily trimmed...I didn't even know the ride had trims because PKI's always flies!

As far as rethemeing, I'm for it. Being in the queue line a few times a year becomes pretty boring, especially since that video loops every 5 minutes.

-Bryan "I wouldn't miss FoF all that much" Wood

I can still remember the bad ass FOF commercial back in 1995-1996.

Remember years ago?... When you were afraid... frightened... terrified of the dark?

Prepare yourself for the Outer Limits: Flight of Fear -- the scariest, darkest, most twisted rollercoaster EVER!

Face your fear. Only at Paramount's Kings Dominion.

When did amusement park commercials begin to suck? They used to be so creative.

I loved the commercials. I just happened to spend that June in Maryland with my grandmother so I got to see them all the time. I lucked out and my uncle decided to take me to PKD one day. RCDB says it opened on June 18, 1996. We just happened to got on the 21st so I waited to 3 hours to ride. (The worst part of the wait was the white trash couple standing in front of us. The girl was peeling sunburned skin off the guys back. Hella nasty). It was a good ride.

Hey, I realllly hate painful coasters, but I found the lapbarred FOF lots of fun (much moreso than the neckbreaking HyperSonic). Liked the saucer thingy, too, though I can see how it might get tiresome to frequent parkgoers.

But MTV?

WTF?

"The Rock 'n Real World Coaster?"

"Total Ride Lame-o: A Journey Through Carson Daly's Descending Colon?"

"Britney! The Ride"

?

^Hmm--how about theming it to The Osbornes? Cruising through the twisted subconscious of Ozzy would make for one bizarre trip.

And will the Real World "characters" just go away? Your 15 minutes are up. Everybody out of the pool!

Maybe with the addition of another launched coaster, PKD needs to build their own nuclear (its pronounced "nuculer") power plant.

I totally agree four launched coasters are really going to guzzle lots of power juice

Possibly the ride is to have it’s launch system upgraded the FoF coasters were the very first LIM launches from Premier, sure the technology has been more refined since they were introduced and they can power them more efficiently now

Or perhaps the launch system is been redesigned completely replacing the LIM with a ultra cost efficient hydraulic option

Either way it’s a good time for the park to close the ride for whatever refurbishment is going to happen, with the new Italian Job launched coaster to take the attention, the absence of FoF for the general guests may be less noticeable and less of a disappointment