TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Discovery Channel: Want to lose weight before riding Voyage?

If you're seriously trying to lose weight before riding The Voyage this season, please take a look at today's HoliBlog post: http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/2006/01/weighty-question.html

Hope we get some sincere candidates ... and that any unkind (albeit funny-to-some) comments are left unsaid.

Thanks, Paula

Paula Werne

Holiday World PR

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is great!

Personally, I watch The Biggest Loser all of the time and think that it sends a great message. With proper diet and exercise you can do amazing things! I'm sure this show will address similar issues.

Good luck to anyone who tries out for this!

• 1 year later...

I am six feet tall and I weigh close to 250 pounds and I never had any problems fitting into the roller coaster restraints (Yep, even the toture restraints of SFA's Superman : Ride of Steel).

But I'm not going to laugh at this topic because I once read on a lovelorn page about an overweight person who was planning to commit sucide because he couldn't fit into the restraints of the roller coaster and got so embarrassed he wanted to die. Please, folk, no need to kill yourself just because you cannot fit on a ride. All you need to do is just get yourself back into shape and lose a few of those pounds. Then when the new lighter you can fit into those restraints, then you can hold your hands up in the air and yell out "YEAH!!!"

Damn, if this does not have Big Mike written all over it, I don't know what does???

I can't find the comments button that the letter states to write to?

I am sure it doesn't hurt that I already started my weight loss thread on TPR 2 months ago to go from 262 pounds to 230 pounds just to fit into the coasters on the upcoming Europe trip, as well as never having the good fortune to ride the Voyage yet!!

Plus, with my wacky, crazy, friendly attitude.... I have got to be the lock for this show

Elissa, please pass along my thread to Paula and we can all have a TPR representative for this very cool idea of a show!

Now I need to find out how to enter this thing lol.

Update - Damn, just figured out this is from Jan 2006, not 2008

I could have been a celebrity lol.

Fame and I just keep missing each other.

Peace, Big Mike

See Matt, that is where you are wrong.

I asked that there be no congrats, just bribes and donations if I made my goal

So far, 18 very cool people have donated a wide variety of great incentives!

Still a long way to go Beemer.

Peace, Big Mike

PS - Wonder how much I could get if I put my thread on the main board??

I'll chime in here about the weight and restraints stuff.

Last year I kind of let it all go. I hit 260 while standing at 6 feet tall. I live here in Orlando and visit all the parks a lot. I got on the Hulk last February and couldn't get it to click. I wasn't in the over-sized seats, but had always fit in the regular seats with ease. This was embarrassing to say the least. The attendant was cool about it. The guy helped get it to click and get the seat belt in and said it was probably the heavy fleece jacket I was wearing, but we both knew that wasn't the case.

This scared me because I was going to Cedar Point for the first time in May. I knew they have smaller restraints than Orlando parks (at least that I had read about) and didn't want to miss anything up there.

I started running about three miles a night and lifting weights. I had no problems at CP and now I'm down 36 pounds and can click several times on the Hulk.

Sometimes we just need a wake up call, mine was the Hulk. I hope the show helps others who need a "jumpstart."

Oh... the best part, the man boobs shrink!!!

^you lost 3 pounds in the last 2 months!

The average person of your size can do that with one trip to the bathroom.

Beemer Boy - no congrats are in order

For the record - it is 12 pounds lost in 2 1/2 months! A Great Job!

Peace, Big Mike

^

^^

Congrats to both of you! I keep planning on using the East Coast trip as a reason to lose a few pounds this year...so far I haven't accomplished much. I just want to be sure I can keep up with the crowd! Good work both of you, keep it up. I'll get started eventually!

Thank you very much Kerry.

It is nice to have pleasant people like you give us hope while other people like LarryGator make fun of the fat people, how rude!

Hopefully see you at a few stops on the East Coast trip!

Peace, Big Mike

For the record - it is 12 pounds lost in 2 1/2 months! A Great Job!

Peace, Big Mike

Mike - I don't make fun of fat people, I make fun of you.

You lost 8 of those pounds in the 1st week and 4 pounds over to next 10 weeks, that is not great progress.

Get back to work Maggot!

Congrats to crazydaveh for reaching his goal.

I had to do a "Walk OF Shame" off of The Hulk three years ago because I could not get the shoulder bars over my Upper Chest for lack of a better term. It was HIGHLY embarassing and humiliating. I have not been on since that because even though I have lost weight I cant fathom the walk of shame again.

High Five to anyone who has lost weight and has been able to over come anything that they were held back from doing at one time!!!

Aurora,

I did that same walk of shame only once last year, on the Road Runner coaster at Great Escape.

First I had to find a kid to ride with me. I finally found a volunteer and I get in with him and couldn't get that damn lap bar closed.

I, having no shame at all, was only "slightly" embarrassed.

I am sure if that mean, rude, and degrading Larrygator was there, he would have been making fun and insulting me.

I will be back up there again this year after losing more weight and I will keep you informed and updated!

Don't let the Larry's of the world keep you from riding the Hulk!!!

Peace, Big Mike

What ever happened with this show?

Unfortunately, the producers (over in Europe) opted to instead go with "famous people" from their side of the pond rather than coaster enthusiasts from the U.S. It was really a shame, as there were a number of truly sincere people interested, and the interview process had already begun, getting some hopes up.

Paula

I did that same walk of shame only once last year, on the Road Runner coaster at Great Escape.

First I had to find a kid to ride with me. I finally found a volunteer and I get in with him and couldn't get that damn lap bar closed.

I, having no shame at all, was only "slightly" embarrassed.

Could have been worse. Cold have had to bail out mid ride like we had to do at Coney Beach.

• 3 weeks later...

Years ago, I did my walk of shame, but it wasn't from a coaster, it was from a flat ride called "The Claw" at Hersheypark. I got on and I couldn't get the doggone restraint locked down. That nevered happened to me before; I mean, I was able to ride the other rides and coasters and never had a problem with either of them. Well, "The Claw" were designed by skinny winks to be ridden by skinny winks. So I went on a diet and managed to get to 235 (my usual weight is 250). I went back up to Hersheypark, back to "The Claw", and managed to lock that doggone restaint down. I stretched out my arms and yelled "OH YEAH!!!" while the other riders looked at me and wondered what was the deal with me.

That can be a big shot of self esteem in the arm for you.