TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Disney's Animal Kingdom Discussion Thread

• 2 months later...

Source: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom/tourism/orl-bk-dizride052907,0,4415309.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

5 injured on Animal Kingdom ride at Disney

Beth Kassab | Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted May 29, 2007, 2:16 PM EDT STORY GALLERY

Five Walt Disney World guests and an employee were transported to the hospital Tuesday morning after the Kali River Rapids ride at Animal Kingdom was evacuated.

One of the rides' sensors caused the flumes to stop as they were traveling up a steep incline, prompting an evacuation about 10:20 a.m., said Bo Jones, deputy fire chief of the Reedy Creek Improvement District.

A platform designed to help transfer guests from the ride to the exit stairs malfunctioned during the evacuation.

One Disney employee may have suffered a bone fracture and the five guests suffered other minor injuries such as bruises and neck and back pain, Jones said.

The injured people included three teenagers, one 21-year-old and two people in their 40s.

Disney spokeswoman Kim Prunty said the reason the ride stopped is being investigated along with how the evacuation platform malfunctioned.

Kali River Rapids remains closed for now, she said.

"Our primary concern is for those who are impacted by the incident," Prunty said. "We're trying to determine what happened."

According to MouseInfo's original story, an eyewitness claimed the "Kali River ran red with blood".

Thank you, observant eyewitness.

It's a really ironic situation: They wanted people to avoid injury by evacuating the ride when in turn they ended up getting hurt.

^ I thought the Wheel of Death at South Port killed your video camera Will?! Or is this event a regular occurrence, like me and my ability to break two dozen umbrellas a year!

My camera started working again when it realized it was back in the United States. It got a little bit wet on Kali, and ceased to function after that. Never mind the first time it died was also at Animal Kingdom, when all I did was take it out of the bag and attempt to load a tape (I had to send it back twice to get it working again). It was a lemon from the start, and I have a new camera now.

^ Um, it says it right there. The platform "malfunctioned" (probably wasn't secure) and people got hurt. He could have read the first article and not have had to ask if the river got electrocuted or the seatbelts snapped. There's enough information there.

^ I agree with what you're saying as to it being unclear on how and why the platform failed, but Disney Dood didn't seem to read anything in the first post if he's asking about electrocution and seatbelts. The article, while vague on details, at least explained the basics of the incident.

I think this was discussed a long time ago, but I couldn't find the thread after looking through pages of threads.

Does anyone know what the deal was on the dragon in the logo for the park (see the link)?

http://www.thrillnetwork.com/stories_view.php/1996/six_riders_injured_rapids_ride_animal_kingdom.html

Was it just supposed to be something like to cover all animals from the past, or were they actually going to do a land that involved dragons (which would have been cool)?

I'm sure I remember a bigger discussion on this but the best I could find was a couple of posts in this thread, which might be where you remember seeing this mentioned, Wes:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23169

AK is the only WDW park I haven't been to: is everything there based upon "real" animals?? Don't they have a dinosaur theme thing going on somewhere? If they've got dinosaurs and yetis, I'd say it's only a matter of time before the dragons come out. Let's face it, they can totally get away with it without losing any of the education they provide, it's Disney for goodness sake, it's full of flying elephants and talking mice. The fact that the dragon is still on the logo probably means they at least want to have the option to do it at some point. *shrug*

I heard the dragons flew away when they realized how cramped the park felt.

In all seriousness, I agree that the fact that it's still in the logo would suggest that this is just another idea that was put on the back burner until the right time and place presents itself. And hopefully, that's not in the form of a Pixar movie featuring a lovable dragon and his search for acceptance in society or something.

And hopefully, that's not in the form of a Pixar movie featuring a lovable dragon and his search for acceptance in society or something.

Ugh, Scott, DON'T EVEN JOKE!!!!

Pixar movies for the most part make me vomit.

Camp Minnie-Mickey was supposed to be a temporary land in Animal Kingdom. Beastly Kingdom was going to occupy that section of real estate. About 10 years later, the temporary attraction has become permanent.

You can see a dragon, sort of. When the boat ride went around the river circling Discovery Island, one part of the ride had a big flame shooting out of a dark cave. This was a dragon who hid in the cave and blew his breath every so often. If you stand on one of the bridges in Animal Kingdom leading to Discovery Island, you may see the flame shoot out once in a while. I've only seen the flame on time, though.

Some of the ideas of Beastly Kingdom were integrated into IOA's Lost Continent. I read that the land was supposed to have a unicorn maze with two different sides. That sounds like a certain dragon coaster at IOA.

ADDED: Here's a link that talks about Beastly Kingdom:

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2000/12/31/309.aspx

I remember reading about "Fire Mountain" which would have been the centerpiece of Beastly Kingdom. It was to be an inverted coaster that flew in and out of a volcanic dragon's lair. The ride was to feature Disney's largest animatronic, a fire-breathing dragon. I believe since IOA opened Dueling Dragons and AK went with Everest instead, the plans were scrapped. Hopefully they resurface. Beastly Kingdom is really the only way AK will ever get a "journey to the center of the earth".