TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Disney's Animal Kingdom Discussion Thread

Well remember, ideas at Disney never really die. They just show up in later projects usually quite different then they started.

Given that what, 10 years has passed since the original 'Beastly Kingdom' ideas were created I'd imagine that what will be built will be totally different than what has been talked about for so long.

That said, with all the projects disney has worked on for the last decade I'm sure they have a ton of impressive ideas kicking around the imagineering archives. It is the rumor that never dies, but there does seem to be renewed interest in DAK recently.

Can't wait to see what they come up with!

-Don

Hey all,

What about the proposed dragon coaster that was supposed to go in that land? Were those ideas not taken to Universal by former imagineers to make IOA's Dueling Dragons? I couldn't see that coaster being made now, at least not themed to dragons. That seemed to be the e-ticket centerpiece to the land though.

DB

The "Dragon Tower" was scrapped I believe and replaced by Everest. When they first started building the framework for Everest many people thought it would be the rumored Dragon Tower ride. From the sounds of it, it would be too similar to Dueling Dragons. (this coaster was meant to be inverted but not duel)

^ according to Jim Hill Media, some X-imagineers got thier revenge when they got hired by Universal to build IOA. The whole Lost Continent area where Dueling Dragons is was basically what Beastly kingdom was sort of suppose to be.

Knowing Disney as of lately, if Beastly Kingdom does indeed get constructed, it will either be done very quickly and crapfully (like Dino-Rama) or it will be done well, but take a long time from greenlight to opening (like Everest). If it is going to open, I wouldn't expect it until at least 2010, or maybe 2011 for WDWs 40th anniversary, especially if its going to open with 2 big E-tickets.

The Dragon's Tower ride was a different kind of coaster than Dueling Dragons-----The Disney ride would have been more like Top Gun or The Bat at Kings Island (a lot like The Bat----the cars were bats!). The ride was indoor/outdoor and would have featured a very large animatronic dragon. I was lucky enough to see a picture of one of the models and it was pretty darned impressive. I haven't been to Islands of Adventure, but I don't think the two rides shared much in common except for a dragon theme. But both Disney and Universal have Dinosaur rides, so that shouldn't really be an issue. I think cost was the biggest concern. Even folks within Imagineering aren't sure if the ride will ever be built.

I finally went to DW and rode Expedition Everest and it was way better then I expected. The first time I was third from the front-absolutely the best place to be when flying backwards in pitch blackness. The second time I was in the very last seat, of course the best place to be in the second half of the ride and for the drop. I had seen the POV's, and can tell disney has definitely improved theming and tweaked the ride since they were made. I got to the park really early and did not have any wait time even though all of Orlando was on spring break. After the two times though I could not get near the ride without and 1 1/2 hour wait.

• 11 months later...

http://www.wftv.com/news/11143289/detail.html?subid=22105266&qs=1;bp=t

I realize theme park jobss don't pay all that well, but let's not get crazy here!

Arrested Man Downplays Bizarre Attack At Animal Kingdom

POSTED: 6:53 am EST March 1, 2007

UPDATED: 5:45 pm EST March 1, 2007

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- A worker at Walt Disney World's Animal Kingdom bonded out of jail, Thursday. Deputies said he attacked a co-worker and threatened to set him on fire, Wednesday night.

Eyewitness News caught up with Steven Kim as he was leaving the bail bondsman's office and he continues to say what happened inside Disney's Animal Kingdom, overnight, has been blown way out of proportion.

Kim, a contract worker for Disney's Animal Kingdom, said he didn't want to talk on camera. But as he left the bail bondsman's office Thursday morning, he couldn't resist making a few quick comments about the aggravated assault charges he now faces.

"I think they're all inaccurate," he said.

However, the Orange County Sheriff's Office sees it differently. Deputies said Kim got into a bizarre fight with a co-worker at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Kim and the other contract worker, 22-year-old Brandon Hoffman, according to deputies, had been having an ongoing argument as the two cleaned out a pond. Deputies said, when Hoffman turned his back, kim doused him with gasoline and even pulled out a lighter. Hoffman ran, but Kim didn't give up.

"The suspect picked up a shovel and continued his assault on the victim, trying to hit him with the shovel. The victim then got on his cell phone, contacted us and Disney security," said Commander Bruce McMullen, Orange County Sheriff's Office.

Deputies arrested Kim. Kim and his wife, who would only talk off camera, continue to say it was a big misunderstanding. Kim accused his co-worker of smoking crack.

"I just want to know if there were any drugs found on the other side that was involved that played a big thing in what happened," Kim said.

The company the two men worked for was fired by the theme park.

Deputies arrested Kim. Kim and his wife, who would only talk off camera, continue to say it was a big misunderstanding. Kim accused his co-worker of smoking crack.

"I just want to know if there were any drugs found on the other side that was involved that played a big thing in what happened," Kim said.

I love the twisted bit of logic here. How would the presence of "drugs . . . on the other side" justify an assault?

And Disneys problems continue. More negative publicity. If it is not people getting seriously hurt on their rides, its kids attacking characters or idiots falling out of trams and now, contractors going after each other. When will the madness end?

And Disneys problems continue. More negative publicity. If it is not people getting seriously hurt on their rides, its kids attacking characters or idiots falling out of trams and now, contractors going after each other. When will the madness end?

Never. When you have tens of millions of guests per year and tens of thousands of employees, some antics are inevitable. It's just a function of their size.

"Do they understand how most of what happens is people being drunk, or stupid; and trying to find something else to blame besides that, that makes their lives totally ******."

Al Swearengen

Oh wait, now I remember hearing about that once.

I don't know if it's actually true, though, or if it's just an urban legend. In any case, under the situation, that's probably the first logical thing most people would think of.

He might not have been completely drenched in gasoline either, or at least nowhere near enough to ignite anything. *shrug*

But cant your cell phone spark gasoline fumes?

nope. Mythbusters tackled that one. Around here they even took off the "Don't use cell phone" signs on all the gas pumps after the show aired.

-James Dillaman

Beat me to it. Yeah, they showed that static shocks from getting out of the car is a more serious threat.