TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Disney's Animal Kingdom Discussion Thread

I'll be really surprised if this opens in 2015-2016...I was under the impression it would come in 2017-2018, and if New Fantasyland is any indication of the timeline for an entire new land I think that's what we'll see.

You could be right, but the Mine Train coaster was a bit different I think. They removed a bunch of princess stuff from the plan after everything was announced and already being built. Had the coaster been announced with he rest of the land, it wouldn't have appeared to take as long. It seems like a longer then normal time because the construction started so late in the game.

Ah, I guess that's true. I didn't pay much attention to the groundbreaking for the coaster in particular, so I've been thinking of it as something that's been going on since day one.

Regardless, I'd be surprised to see them open this in the next two years - the fact that Universal can fast-track a project like Harry Potter v2 is beyond me, and while I'm sure Disney could manage that they aren't the type of company to push that tight of a timetable.

Jammin Jungle was a good parade, but it was definitely long in the tooth. Hopefully they actually do replace it with another parade.

One the Avatar land opens I'd assume they'd put one back to "re-validate" the park. It says the old one ran for 13 years so I'd say they got their moneys worth out of it!

They will most likely have a new parade for the opening season of Avatar.

I'll be really surprised if this opens in 2015-2016...I was under the impression it would come in 2017-2018, and if New Fantasyland is any indication of the timeline for an entire new land I think that's what we'll see.

You could be right, but the Mine Train coaster was a bit different I think. They removed a bunch of princess stuff from the plan after everything was announced and already being built. Had the coaster been announced with he rest of the land, it wouldn't have appeared to take as long. It seems like a longer then normal time because the construction started so late in the game.

Ah, I guess that's true. I didn't pay much attention to the groundbreaking for the coaster in particular, so I've been thinking of it as something that's been going on since day one.

Regardless, I'd be surprised to see them open this in the next two years - the fact that Universal can fast-track a project like Harry Potter v2 is beyond me, and while I'm sure Disney could manage that they aren't the type of company to push that tight of a timetable.

Well, Construction started on HP in January of 2012...so its been a while... two and a half years of construction.

Edited by COASTER FREAK 11

• 2 months later...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/05/rivers-of-light-nighttime-spectacular-coming-to-disneys-animal-kingdom/

As we’ve shared here on Disney Parks Blog, Disney’s Animal Kingdom is about to undergo the largest expansion in the park’s history. Among other exciting projects, the years ahead will see the addition of all-new entertainment experiences, including a new nighttime spectacular.

RiversOfLight-Concept-Large.jpg.7b794dbb831b59b529bb8652eb84882f.jpg

“Rivers of Light” promises to be an innovative show unlike anything ever seen in Disney Parks, combining live music, floating lanterns, water screens and swirling animal imagery. The show will magically come to life on the broad, natural stage of the Discovery River, between Discovery Island and Expedition Everest, delighting our guests and truly capping off a full day of adventures at Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

We look forward to sharing more details on the Disney Parks Blog in the future – about “Rivers of Light” and other new entertainment experiences coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/05/celebrate-the-grandest-tales-and-tastes-of-africa-during-harambe-nights-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/

HN11.jpg.6c28dbc0b7810a08d3d1de5111f93b86.jpg

Where were you when “The Lion King” came out in 1994? I was a tour guide at The Magic of Disney Animation at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, where several sequences featuring young Simba had been animated. It’s hard to believe, but this summer marks the 20th anniversary of that now-classic film. In honor of the epic tale of “The Lion King,” Disney’s Animal Kingdom is prepared to stage a special celebration event like no other.

HN2.jpg.2702f67ba871a0089650d6392354007a.jpg

It all begins with a Welcome Reception in the park’s Harambe Village, including mouth-watering appetizers and African-inspired wine and beer. Then it’s time for the ‘mane’ event! Take your seat inside the newly built Harambe Theatre for an unforgettable performance of “The Lion King – Concert in the Wild.” This all-new, never-before-seen theatrical experience features a live orchestra and choir, dancers, digitally projected movie moments, and dramatic lighting and scenic elements – all hosted by a celebrity guest narrator. The show brings to life the humor, heart, and stirring emotional power of Simba’s journey to find his place as the Lion King.

HN3.jpg.d8c4c6d048d827d939f1504537bd169a.jpg

The lineup of celebrity narrators for “The Lion King – Concert in the Wild” features stars from movies, TV, and Broadway. Those scheduled to appear each night of the event include*:

• June 7 – Viola Davis: “The Help,” “Ender’s Game”
  • June 14 – TBD
  • June 21 – Montego Glover: “The Following,” “Memphis”
  • June 28 – David Alan Grier: “Porgy & Bess,” “In Living Color”
  • July 5 – Michael Beach: “ER,” “Third Watch,” “Sons of Anarchy”
  • July 12 – Harry Lennix: “The Blacklist,” “The Five Heartbeats”
  • July 19 – Joe Morton: “Scandal,” “American Gangster,” “The Good Wife”
  • July 26 – Alfre Woodard: “Desperate Housewives,” “Miss Evers Boys”
  • August 2 – Brian Stokes Mitchell: “Ragtime,” “Trapper John, M.D.,” “Glee”
  • August 9 – Patina Miller: “Pippin,” “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1”

After the show, the celebration continues with the Harambe Nights Street Party, filled with music, characters, and live performers, encouraging everyone to join in and “Go wild!” You can enjoy an all-inclusive buffet of sophisticated and flavorful African cuisine and gourmet desserts. Exclusive Lion King merchandise and collectibles will be available for purchase during the event, and you’ll want to stick around for a special finale to bid “kwaherini” to a magical evening that could only happen at Disney’s Animal Kingdom!

Harambe Nights takes place every Saturday from June 7 – August 9, 2014, with the Welcome Reception starting at 7 p.m. and a 7:30 p.m. show time. Tickets are $119 for adults, $79 for ages 3-9, plus tax. Tickets with premium floor seating are $134 for adults, $94 for ages 3-9, plus tax. Capacity is limited, so you’ll want to go ahead and get your tickets by visiting Disneyworld.com/HarambeNights or calling 407-939-1319.

(*Entertainment subject to change)

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/05/festival-of-the-lion-king-to-return-to-disneys-animal-kingdom-in-june/

Are you a fan of Disney’s “The Lion King”? If so, we have some great news to share with you today. “Festival of the Lion King,” the musical show that tells the tale of Simba through song, dance and aerial acrobatics, will return in a new location in the Africa section of Disney’s Animal Kingdom this June.

LKT-b_c.jpg.9b043218814709b897e714c10aff04c1.jpg

Here’s a first look at what the new theater, which will be located in the left side of the Africa section, will look like.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/05/wildlife-wednesdays-colorful-macaws-take-flight-in-new-experience-coming-this-summer-to-disneys-animal-kingdom/

I am thrilled to share first with Disney Parks Blog fans news about a new animal experience coming soon to Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Stars of the show are flocks of macaws in a kaleidoscope of colors flying over and around the heart of the park — Discovery Island. Brought to you by the fantastic team that inspires and delights guests at our Flights of Wonder show in collaboration with Disney Creative Entertainment, “Winged Encounters — The Kingdom Takes Flight,” will debut this summer.

WLW84957946.thumb.jpg.c6a8d816c6f7e2f61aabab3dd9a94188.jpg

The macaws, with wingspans up to 60 inches, are now making short flights in the early morning hours at Disney’s Animal Kingdom in preparation for the debut of the new experience, which features six types of macaw: hyacinth, green-winged, blue and gold, scarlet, blue-throated and military.

In addition to seeing these colorful birds in flight, during up-close encounters, avian experts will share conservation stories about the macaws, the majority of which are endangered in their native Central and South America.

Be sure to watch Disney Parks Blog for more information about this new experience in the coming weeks.

I'm glad to see new things being added to Disney's Animal Kingdom. I thought they were just relocating the Lion King show, not reviving it. The new nighttime show looks like an improved Worlds of Color. Can't wait for all these to open!

ROL looks nice, although I wonder about the location and if they are planning on additional space for guests? I assume it is standing room only. The one thing I really wish DCA would have done is to have a seated venue to watch WOC. After being on the feet for all day, it would be nice to sit down like Fantasmic at DHS. Also, I find it interesting that they are expanding AK with a water show then moving into creating a complete land, much in the same way the DCA expansion unfolded. The bird show reminds me instantly of Rio 2, and good to see them developing new animal attractions as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if any of the rides will be open during Harambe Nights event? Nighttime safaris or rides or Everest? I completely missed the announcement of this but it sounds like an amazing event! Ticket seems a bit steep for just a concert and dinner but I'm sure it will be an a amazing event (a few night rides on Everest would make it really nice!).

Does anyone know if any of the rides will be open during Harambe Nights event? Nighttime safaris or rides or Everest? I completely missed the announcement of this but it sounds like an amazing event! Ticket seems a bit steep for just a concert and dinner but I'm sure it will be an a amazing event (a few night rides on Everest would make it really nice!).

I didn't see anything else listed. Food, drinks, party, character appearances, and show. We thought about it, but couldn't really justify that much money.

OMG! The "broken track" effect on Expedition Everest has been taken down for a couple of days to get a little bit of work done on it, and the ride is now TERRIFYING without it!!! Watch this video as it now feels like you are going to go over the side of the mountain!

^ Well, I hope it's not going to ruin your visit, if the track's not back.

And it sounds like, from the video, it's scarier without it in that section.

How long will it be before the broken track is back in place? I am going to be at the Animal Kingdom on the 11th.

2 Words. Disco Yeti

I really wish people would stop complaining about the yeti. It's really stupid. In fact, I feel that most people who complain about the yeti have never actually seen the original version of it!

IMO the Yeti is not really "broken." What is "broken" about the yeti is that it shouldn't have been a giant, expensive-as-hell AA in the first place since you see if for a total of 1.5 seconds as you fly by it at 30 MPH. It's not like the Lava Monster in Journey where the ride stops, you can look at the character do it's "show" and then you move on.

Even when it worked you wouldn't believe how many people totally missed it. It was one of those "If you blink you miss it" situations. Like I said, I think the real mistake wasn't about if it's working or not working, but the overall design and placement of that scene in the ride. And because of that, I don't think we will ever see the yeti get "fixed."

IMO, the "really awesome expensive yeti animatronic" should have gone in the scene where the yeti rips up the track is. Then you'd REALLY be able to see how awesome that figure is! Realistically, it was just a huge waste of money.

Edited by robbalvey

How long will it be before the broken track is back in place? I am going to be at the Animal Kingdom on the 11th.

2 Words. Disco Yeti

I really wish people would stop complaining about the yeti. It's really stupid. In fact, I feel that most people who complain about the yeti have never actually seen the original version of it!

IMO the Yeti is not really "broken." What is "broken" about the yeti is that it shouldn't have been a giant, expensive-as-hell AA in the first place since you see if for a total of 1.5 seconds as you fly by it at 30 MPH. It's not like the Lava Monster in Journey where the ride stops, you can look at the character do it's "show" and then you move on.

Even when it worked you wouldn't believe how many people totally missed it. It was one of those "If you blink you miss it" situations. Like I said, I think the real mistake wasn't about if it's working or not working, but the overall design and placement of that scene in the ride. And because of that, I don't think we will ever see the yeti get "fixed."

IMO, the "really awesome expensive yeti animatronic" should have gone in the scene where the yeti rips up the track is. Then you'd REALLY be able to see how awesome that figure is! Realistically, it was just a huge waste of money.

For example, in 2011, before I had seen the POVs and knew where everything on the ride was, I rode Expedition Everest three times and didn't notice the Yeti at all. The train moves by the Yeti so quickly that all I saw was a strobe light. So I agree with Robb, there really isn't a point in trying to make it move.