TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Disney's Animal Kingdom Discussion Thread

^As long as I can buy a Coke in Avatar land it will be better than Potterverse!

I imagine you'll just be able to buy Avatar themed food and drink. Does Cars Land offer Coke? What about Be Our Guest?

What kind of Avatar food and drink would there be? Blackened dragon? Goop squeezed from a mutant flower?

Animal Kingdom's plans for the next few years ranked by my excitement.

1. The park being open at night

2. The yeti getting fixed (hope to god they finally take Everest down for a while once Avatar opens)

3. New nightime show

4. Fixing the tree

5. Then Avatar, lol

Building Avatar is going to benefit the park in so many ways; it's got me more excited than the land itself.

2. The yeti getting fixed (hope to god they finally take Everest down for a while once Avatar opens)

3. New nightime show

4. Fixing the tree

5. Then Avatar, lol

Building Avatar is going to benefit the park in so many ways; it's got me more excited than the land itself.

Possibly the best thing about avatar is that Everest can go down the season after Avatar opens, haha. There's already tons o different and new tech that can save the beast, they just have to close the ride.

3. New nightime show

4. Fixing the tree

5. Then Avatar, lol

Possibly the best thing about avatar is that Everest can go down the season after Avatar opens, haha. There's already tons o different and new tech that can save the beast, they just have to close the ride.

Hopefully they do.

3. New nightime show

4. Fixing the tree

5. Then Avatar, lol

That's why it's number two, lol.

3. New nightime show

4. Fixing the tree

5. Then Avatar, lol

This is almost identical to my feeling about it, although having never experienced anything but boring ol' Yeti, I don't know where to rank that. The other four though, perfect.

• 4 weeks later...

Researchers at Walt Disney Research have developed a "musical plant." Is there any reason not to believe that this type of biological interaction is not going to be implemented in Pandora? I know they are attempting to be secretive as to what it's purpose will be, but this seems perfectly suited for the upcoming Avatar themed land.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/08/disney-research-botanicus-interacticus-hands-on/

Sure, you spend plenty of time talking to your plants, but have you ever made them sing? In partnership with Berlin-based Studio NAND, Walt Disney's experience development arm, coined Disney Research, has found a way to take human-plant interaction to an almost freakish level. The project's called Botanicus Interacticus, and centers around a custom-built capacitive sensor module, which pipes a very low current through an otherwise ordinary plant, then senses when and where you touch. Assuming your body is grounded, the device uses more than 200 frequencies to determine exactly where you've grabbed hold of a stem. Then, depending on how it may be programed, the sensor can trigger any combination of feedback, ranging from a notification that your child is attempting to climb that massive oak in the yard again, to an interactive melody that varies based on where your hand falls along the plant.

Because this is Disney Research, the company would most likely use the new tech in an interactive theme park attraction, though there's currently no plan to do much more than demo Botanicus Interacticus for SIGGRAPH attendees. This week's demonstration is giving the creators an opportunity to gather feedback as they try out their project on the general public. There's four different stations on hand, ranging from a stick of bamboo that offers the full gamut of sensitivity, including the exact location of touch, to an orchid that can sense an electric field disruption even as you approach for contact. While interactive plants may not have a role in everyday life, Botanicus Interacticus is certainly a clever implementation of capacitive touch. You can see it action just past the break.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/theme-park-rangers-blog/os-disney-animal-kingdom-parade-20140213,0,3964528.post

Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade will come to an end at Disney's Animal Kingdom this summer, a Disney World spokeswoman said Thursday. Its last day will be sometime in June, she said.

Work on an expansion of Animal Kingdom, which will include a Pandora section based on the film "Avatar," will soon impede on the parade path and viewing areas for guests, Disney said.

The daily, afternoon parade has run at the theme park since October 2001. It features characters in safari gear, large animal-inspired puppets, floats and dancers. There are no plans for a replacement parade at this time, Disney said.

The company had previously announced new entertainment for Animal Kingdom, including a nighttime water show.

A holiday version of the parade was called Mickey's Jingle Jungle Parade.

Cast members in the parade will be found positions within Walt Disney World, the spokeswoman said.

It will be the second Disney World parade to close this year. The Celebrate a Dream Come True parade ended at Magic Kingdom last month. It will be replaced by the Festival of Fantasy parade next month.

The Pixar Pals Countdown to Fun parade closed at Disney's Hollywood Studios last April.

Can't wait for Animal Kingdom's grand "Corrected opening" or re opening or grand opening. Even if the buzz is low for the new land, that park needs help. I'm with everyone else on Avatar...I'll take it.

I just can't listen to anyone who promotes Animal Kingdom over any other major park in FL. The place is a shell. Right now, a shell of a shell.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/theme-park-rangers-blog/os-disney-animal-kingdom-parade-20140213,0,3964528.post

Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade will come to an end at Disney's Animal Kingdom this summer, a Disney World spokeswoman said Thursday. Its last day will be sometime in June, she said.

Work on an expansion of Animal Kingdom, which will include a Pandora section based on the film "Avatar," will soon impede on the parade path and viewing areas for guests, Disney said.

The daily, afternoon parade has run at the theme park since October 2001. It features characters in safari gear, large animal-inspired puppets, floats and dancers. There are no plans for a replacement parade at this time, Disney said.

The company had previously announced new entertainment for Animal Kingdom, including a nighttime water show.

Cast members in the parade will be found positions within Walt Disney World, the spokeswoman said.

It will be the second Disney World parade to close this year. The Celebrate a Dream Come True parade ended at Magic Kingdom last month. It will be replaced by the Festival of Fantasy parade next month.

The Pixar Pals Countdown to Fun parade closed at Disney's Hollywood Studios last April.

When is the new stuff gonna open?

Can't wait for Animal Kingdom's grand "Corrected opening" or re opening or grand opening. Even if the buzz is low for the new land, that park needs help. I'm with everyone else on Avatar...I'll take it.

I just can't listen to anyone who promotes Animal Kingdom over any other major park in FL. The place is a shell. Right now, a shell of a shell.

Well, the whole park being a shell is kind of true, the park still works anyway.

As for why the park is a shell is kind of interesting. It also coincides with why islands of adventure is really good. For those who don't know, here it is. (them park tourist is my source)

Animal kingdom would have a number of key differences when it opened, but the animal attractions were costing more and more, to the point where these were changed.

The first would be a symbol of the park, the animal carousel. It would be three tiered, one dumbo style bit, one normal carousel and one carousel on water. The tree was chosen instead. http://www.themeparktourist.com/features/20131125/15135/unbuilt-disney-animal-carousel-disneys-animal-kingdom

The more interesting one was originally going to be in the site of primeval whirl, and triceratop spin. Called the excavator, it was going to be the thrill ride of the park, similar in thrill to big thunder mountain. Thanks to coast, this wasn't built and the site was used for the midway games and rides in around 2001. More details: http://www.themeparktourist.com/features/20131201/15216/unbuilt-disney-excavator-disneys-animal-kingdom

However the big thing was beastly kingdom. It would have featured a number of major rides and would have been in the area avatar is going. This would take a while to write so read here for details. http://www.themeparktourist.com/features/20131017/14745/avatar-what-was-beastly-kingdom

The interesting thing is that when this was canned the imagineers left, and worked on island of adventure instead.

The result is a park that is still kind of empty. So why hasn't something happened sooner? Because I, along with many others still love the park. The limited attractions are some of the best in WDW and the attractions take a while to ride. They are some major crowd pleasers.

When is the new stuff gonna open?

Last time Disney mentioned a date, they said 2015-2016 I think.

I'll be really surprised if this opens in 2015-2016...I was under the impression it would come in 2017-2018, and if New Fantasyland is any indication of the timeline for an entire new land I think that's what we'll see.

You could be right, but the Mine Train coaster was a bit different I think. They removed a bunch of princess stuff from the plan after everything was announced and already being built. Had the coaster been announced with he rest of the land, it wouldn't have appeared to take as long. It seems like a longer then normal time because the construction started so late in the game.

Jammin Jungle was a good parade, but it was definitely long in the tooth. Hopefully they actually do replace it with another parade.

One the Avatar land opens I'd assume they'd put one back to "re-validate" the park. It says the old one ran for 13 years so I'd say they got their moneys worth out of it!