TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Disney's Animal Kingdom Discussion Thread

From Screamscape a while back:

The E-Ticket attraction is supposed to be a new type of motion simulator. This is presumably represented by the artwork with the dragon-things.

I'm most interested to see how the outdoor area works out.

Calling it now. Soarin' technology with a film that is halfway decent for once.

Interesting ride system, but if this is the ride system, two obvious concerns: height requirement (OTSR's) and sight lines (given that it is one giant motion base---hate to have your view obstructed by OTSR's and/or the rows in front of you).

I'm sure Disney thought this things through already if this is the ride system, but hey, we have to have something to talk about for years until it opens!

My guess is that they have those restraints in the 3D model just as an example. Disney's probably going to come up with something to allow whole families to ride. If they do have to resort to something over-the-head, then maybe they could try that lapbar system like the ones used on those Vekoma inverted family coasters.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/10/avatar-at-disneys-animal-kingdom-will-transport-transform-guests/

Over the weekend, Tom Staggs wowed the crowd at the first-ever D23 Expo in Japan with an early glimpse of what’s planned for AVATAR at Disney’s Animal Kingdom park. He shared some breathtaking concept renderings of floating mountains, bioluminescent plants and other awe-inspiring experiences guests will encounter in the mythical world of Pandora.

Also at the D23 Expo Japan, Tom shared video of filmmaker James Cameron and Walt Disney Imagineer Joe Rohde highlighting the creative work already underway on the project. Joe said when the AVATAR-inspired land is completed, it’ll be a transformational experience that you’ll remember for the rest of your life. Today, we wanted to share the entire video with Disney Parks Blog readers.

I really am intrigued by this project and am happy to finally hear word of progress. I wish the Avatar sequels were spaced out some more, but that is besides the point. I am hopeful that they include a boat ride, simply because the land is going to benefit from two attractions for crowd control. I am sure they even have ideas for a flat to round out the selection. I can see the area becoming ridiculously crowded upon opening and I know Disney is thinking about ways to alleviate this. If the area becomes one massive circle with little side paths, that would probably be beneficial. Cars Land and Harry Potter world are dead end paths, which means that everyone comes back to the entrance of the world the same way. I know they do this to conserve space, but I think this themed land could logically be laid out like that, with a bunch of little areas to explore on the inside, etc.

In one of the illustrations, I saw what looked like a boat ride attraction. Jray21 stated in a recent post

Glad to see the river being used again.
Last time I was at the park it was 2006 and I don't remember any river attraction ( I was more concentrated on Everest that year), so I'm asking jray21 and anyone else about this River at Animal Kingdom. Regardless if it was before my visit or came after my visit and ran for a short time, then I'm glad that this "River" will be running again and not left to decay into obscurity.

Radio Disney River Cruise was the park's boat transportation that made 2 stops around Discovery Island. These ran the first couple of years of the park, I think until around 2000ish? These boats acted as a transportation shuttle between 2 areas of the park like the Friendship boats at Epcot. Problem was guests waited in extremely long lines for what many thought would be a themed river attraction. So most guests were disappointed. There were 2 loading docks, one in the front of Discovery Island and the 2nd in Asia near the Flights of Wonder Bird Show. Other than the exotic foliage of The Tree of Life and Discovery Island, there was not a lot to look at theming wise, with the exception of an animatronic dino in the water near Dino Land USA and a fire-breathing animatronic Dragon in a cave between Camp Minnie Micky and Africa.

Back when I first visited Animal Kingdom (December 1998) they were called the "Discovery River Taxis". They closed a couple of weeks later for the Radio Disney overlay.

Originally the boat did two stops (Safari Village and near the then-unopened Asia section). In June 98, the boat was doing only round trips back to Safari Village and they added some on-board animal encounters (mostly small reptiles and insects). In September 98, the ride closed. It reopened around Thanksgiving '98 and again for Christmas '98/New Years as the "Discovery River Taxis" (the new name was supposed to keep expectations low). In January 1999 it closed again and reopened In March '99 as the "Disney Radio River Cruise" with a new paint job and loud teeny-bopper music. It closed for good in August 1999.

That's pretty impressive concept art. I wonder if I should finally break my vow to never watch Avatar so that I'll know what I"m looking at.

I saw it once when it was released and liked it, but then started to ask myself why I liked it. Maybe I'll take this advice just for the rides sake!

Has anyone seen a $$$ figure for this thing yet? And are we sticking with "Avatar" for the landname, or is the bet "Pandora: from James Cameron's AVATAR" or some other gobbledygook?

After seeing the concept art, it's hard to be negative about this - well balanced for the audience, unique looking, and I second the folks who applaud Disney for also building out the night time spectacular at the same time... about time to get DAK onboard as a full day/night experience.

And personally, my wife & I do love Animal Kingdom, I'm just glad they're rounding out it's potential with this.... not that there's other stuff they can't fix (Yeti, Train to Nowhere, the boatless river, etc) but this is a MASSIVE step in the right direction.

The part of the article that blew my mind was the part about the floating island. How are the Disney Imagineers going to pull this one off? Perhaps give the illusion of a floating island because if the Disney Imagineers could imagine it, then they could turn it into a reality.

My guess:

Supports that are cleverly hidden under the waterfalls. I doubt there will be much to the floating mountains since you'll be looking at them from a distance and nothing will need to be up there besides some basic scenery and water pumps.

The part of the article that blew my mind was the part about the floating island. How are the Disney Imagineers going to pull this one off? Perhaps give the illusion of a floating island because if the Disney Imagineers could imagine it, then they could turn it into a reality.

My guess:

Supports that are cleverly hidden under the waterfalls. I doubt there will be much to the floating mountains since you'll be looking at them from a distance and nothing will need to be up there besides some basic scenery and water pumps.

What like this?

^I rather doubt they will hide the supports in the waterfalls. In the concept art there are large root structures leading from the ground to the mountains, and connecting the mountains to each other. It looks like the support structure will be hidden in these roots. Also, it looks like some of the mountains may be touching the ground.

I'm not a big fan of the movie, but I'm really excited to see what Disney does to the area. As for Everest, I really wish they would have utilized the Yeti a lot better. Whether it's working or not doesn't really matter since you go by so quick.

My guess:

What like this?

They will use any means needed to make the rocks look like they are floating. Waterfalls, vines, and probably some rocks that are on the ground.

Also, keep in mind the only attraction thats been announced is the boat ride. I know we've seem blueprints of a screen based sim ride, but I wouldn't bet on just those two. Things are always changing (remember the original New Fantasyland? ) And I will be keeping my eye out for other, new things cropping up as far as rides go.

Well, according to this article with information from one of the Imagineers on the project:

While he didn't divulge much, he did clear up a few misconceptions and provide a few bits of info about the ambitious project. For example, it has been widely rumored that the land's E-Ticket attraction, which will simulate an airborne ride aboard a Pandoran banshee creature, would use a ride system patterned after the popular Soarin' attractions at Epcot and Disney California Adventure. Rohde said that there might be some similarities, but that the Avatar attraction would be "considerably more thrilling" than Soarin' and incorporate some new, groundbreaking features. He also said that even though the movie on which it is based is the most popular 3D film ever produced, his Imagineering team had not yet decided whether to render the media for the attraction in 3D.

Well, according to this article with information from one of the Imagineers on the project:

While he didn't divulge much, he did clear up a few misconceptions and provide a few bits of info about the ambitious project. For example, it has been widely rumored that the land's E-Ticket attraction, which will simulate an airborne ride aboard a Pandoran banshee creature, would use a ride system patterned after the popular Soarin' attractions at Epcot and Disney California Adventure. Rohde said that there might be some similarities, but that the Avatar attraction would be "considerably more thrilling" than Soarin' and incorporate some new, groundbreaking features. He also said that even though the movie on which it is based is the most popular 3D film ever produced, his Imagineering team had not yet decided whether to render the media for the attraction in 3D.

I was only saying I think there will be more then 2 rides. And nothing is for sure until it actually opens. It is nice to to hear that it will be more thrilling though!