TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

Think it will be open this Sunday when I visit?

I think it will be funny if that when and if it finally opens, it is just a so so ride.

I think a lot of people will be disappointed if they're expecting a top 10 caliber ride or even anything close to that.

How long has the wait for flying turns been?

I think 4 or 5 years by now.

Most hyped coaster of its time!

It was announced October 8th, 2005 (check the 1st post of this thread), so almost 7 years.

I think a lot of people will be disappointed if they're expecting a top 10 caliber ride or even anything close to that.

Absolutely. This ride won't be some big disappointment if you aren't going in with the wrong mindset. It's going to be a lot of fun, and perfect for the park. I got to walk the track (or trough) last weekend, and it really does feel awesome in there. Plus, the cars are expected to hit a full 90 degrees at some point during the figure-eight portion of the ride! So it'll be thrilling, but within reason. Don't build it up to be something it clearly isn't going to be, and you'll love it!

Edited by coasterfreak101

Most hyped coaster of its time!

Most hyped? I don't think there has ever been much hype for Flying Turns. (I however, am very hyped about it...) Maybe you meant "longest to built" ?

Want hyped? Check out I-305, Cedar Point, most B&M coasters... Great Adventure (except when Chiller had inversions with lap bars) those things get a lot of hype (over-hyped in my opinion).

THIS:

Anticipating the inevitable "it's not all that" from spoiled coaster geeks (not that I am NOT a spoiled coaster geek). It will be a nice *charming* family ride, I would assume.

^First, you don't know how to quote because I didn't say that. It is true though.

Too late about getting peoples expectations up. After at least 7 years of construction, people are expecting a lot. Otherwise why would a park spend so much time and effort on a single ride? If this isn't a top notch ride you will hear the enthusiasts complain.

This coaster has never been hyped, Knoebels rarely hypes anything. I was at the park for a Wood Coaster Club event at the beginning of the 2006 season. John Fetterman and Dick Knoebel both spoke and talked about the challenges of recreating something without a blueprint.

They never hyped the coaster (even in front of enthusiasts) as a thrilling type of coaster, just something unique that hasn't been experienced by many of us in awhile, if at all. It's going to be a fun family ride in a family oriented amusement grove. Nothing more except for it's uniqueness.

Edited by larrygator

^First, you don't know how to quote because I didn't say that. It is true though.

My apologies. My post has been fixed by the powers that be. Thanks guys *Must learn to not mess up quotes."

I disagree, I feel the ride is barely hyped. When it was announced, they clearly stated there was NO opening date for the ride, and most people know that.

The most "bashed" for not opening on time (even though they said there was no opening time), yes...

Edited by GayCoasterGuy

I think some enthusiasts have already begun dialing back expectations as they realize the potential for disappointment if they spent years expecting it to be ultra-thrilling and it isn't. I agree with others here: hopefully the unique style and the historical value will satisfy most people. Yes, I'd prefer intensity myself, but I'd rather not waste any energy being disappointed by any lack thereof. Especially at Knoebels, where pretty much everything rocks no matter what.

I had completely forgotten about flying turns until I started planning my trip to Knoebels before ECB. I suspect a lot of others have forgotten about it as well.

It might by hyped up when it does open. But first it actually has to open.

• 4 weeks later...

Knoebels has posted the phyler (heh) for Phoenix Phall Phunfest! Saturday October 6! I'm super-excited!

418596_10151997608650551_1917814019_n.jpg

No mention of Phlying Turns - but if I recall correctly, the opening of Black Diamond last year wasn't announced on the phyler either...

Since they list Black Diamond as being open during PPP, is it safe to assume that it will be free with the PPP handstamp? That's how it's been with the Haunted Mansion, which is an upcharge every other day of the year.

A.J., why'd you have to go and bring up PPP? I'm deep into Knoebels withdrawal here.

Sorry about that, but I'm really excited about it. The one trip I got to Knoebels this season was kind of a fluke. It'll be the highlight of my season (yes, even more so than El Toro in April and Skyrush in May). I'm hoping to get twenty runs on Phoenix again!

Since they list Black Diamond as being open during PPP, is it safe to assume that it will be free with the PPP handstamp? That's how it's been with the Haunted Mansion, which is an upcharge every other day of the year.

It looks like Haunted Mansion is up-charge during the day, but phree during Phunfest from 5PM to 7PM as long as you have the stamp. Same with Black Diamond, but from 6PM to 10PM.

Can't...resist...replacing all "f"s with "ph"s...

^Not trying to sound egotistical or annoying or anything, but to be honest, I think the TPR days there are better than PPP nowadays.

PPP has gotten REALLY crowded and there's really almost nothing different they do nowadays that we don't get when we do a TPR Trip there! Plus ERT on Phoenix with 50 people is much better than with 700+ people.

Add in annoying coaster enthusiasts and you can see why Robb and I don't even bother going to that event anymore.

^Not trying to sound egotistical or annoying or anything, but to be honest, I think the TPR days there are better than PPP nowadays.

PPP has gotten REALLY crowded and there's really almost nothing different they do nowadays that we don't get when we do a TPR Trip there! Plus ERT on Phoenix with 50 people is much better than with 700+ people.

Add in annoying coaster enthusiasts and you can see why Robb and I don't even bother going to that event anymore.

So what you're saying is KnoBash 2013?

Not trying to sound egotistical or annoying or anything, but to be honest, I think the TPR days there are better than PPP nowadays.

If I recall correctly, Phall Phunfest used to be an event exclusive to registered enthusiast groups, yeah? I remember that it was one of Club TPR's benefits when Club TPR first started.

I'd totally go on a TPR trip, if I could afford it. For now, Phall Phunfest is a fantastic event for me because I can get there, ride the crap out of the coasters, get some free food, and be back home at the end of the day (I live in Williamsport, which is a 45-minute drive if I put my foot down) for a relatively small amount of money, even if I stay until the end of Phoenix "ERT" at ten.

EDIT: I realize that I could probably do any of that on any other day of Knoebels' operating season, but it still gives me an excuse to go.

Edited by A.J.

This. This. A billion times this.

Having been to several PPPs and at least two (possibly more) TPR days at Knoebels, there is no contest. TPR days are a lot more fun, a lot less crowded, and pretty much free of the horrid self-entitled coaster enthusiasses that now plague PPP. I will never go to another PPP, they are just too crowded and don't really offer anything unique any more.

dt