TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

14 minutes ago, DILinator said:

I too am going to be heading through PA on a trip with my kids to visit relatives in Jersey next month, am planning on hitting Knoebels for the Sundown hours, and was wondering the same regarding typical lines and wait times on a weekday (wednesday) in July. That didn't really get addressed in the last two posts, so I thought I'd mention it again, just to get an idea. I get that a full day at Knoebels is better than a half day (none of us have been before), but that's just not in the cards for this trip, and I just wanted to at least finally get a taste of this legendary park. Any input on what the can't-miss rides or things to do there in 4 hours of time, certainly are appreciated as well! We're obviously going to do all the major coasters (that are open), and we're not going to do the Haunted Mansion, or any water attractions. Thanks in advance! 

Sorry, my only trip there was on a Saturday (the second one they were open for the year, in fact), so I can't comment on crowds.  Things to not miss at Knoebels, roughly in order of importance:

-Phoenix
-Twister
-Haunted Mansion (why don't you plan on doing this?)
-Looper
-Black Diamond
-Stratosphere
-Cosmotron
-Scooters (bumper cars)
-Motor Boats
-Flyers (if they're running)
-Whip
-Paratrooper
-Grand Carousel (outer, ring-grabbing seats only)
-Skyride
-Flying turns (if it's open)
-Satellite (if your stomach can take that kinda rotation)

I'd say you can safely skip Impulse; it's smooth but nothing really special and it tends to have the third-slowest-moving line in the park (only ahead of Flying Turns and the boats).  If you're there on a weekday, and crowds are anything like they were in 2017, pre-COVID, (which they probably won't be), you should be able to hit everything I listed in four hours.  If you have any time left, check out the museums, particularly the park history museum in the back of the mining museum (it's kinda hidden).

Many people also rant and rave about the food here, which is decently cheap, but I'm not a foodie by any stretch of the imagination so I'll just say it's generally better quality than most park food.

Many people also rant and rave about Fascination (kinda a combination of bingo and skee-ball), but I don't particularly see the draw, particularly if you never come to the park and can't save up a massive amount of tickets.

• Thanks 1

^Thanks for the reply, and all the great information! I'll take a pic of it, and refer back to it on our trip! I'm sure we'll still hit Impulse, just because it's a coaster, and a type we actually haven't ridden much elsewhere, but if the line is crazy it's good to know it's expendable. As for the Haunted Mansion, I believe it's an upcharge attraction, for one, and more importantly, my kids aren't the kind to go for scary, haunted house attractions. Maybe my daughter would do it with me. So that's a possibility. I noticed a bunch of rides are listed as "CLOSED" on the website currently, including a handful of the flats you mentioned, and another flat that I personally like, Power Surge. You may not know the answer to this, but I wonder if those are those temporary closures, staffing related closures, or longer closures. I'll be going to the park a month from yesterday, so hopefully at least some of them are back up and running by then. Thanks again for your detailed reply!

27 minutes ago, DILinator said:

^Thanks for the reply, and all the great information! I'll take a pic of it, and refer back to it on our trip! I'm sure we'll still hit Impulse, just because it's a coaster, and a type we actually haven't ridden much elsewhere, but if the line is crazy it's good to know it's expendable. As for the Haunted Mansion, I believe it's an upcharge attraction, for one, and more importantly, my kids aren't the kind to go for scary, haunted house attractions. Maybe my daughter would do it with me. So that's a possibility. I noticed a bunch of rides are listed as "CLOSED" on the website currently, including a handful of the flats you mentioned, and another flat that I personally like, Power Surge. You may not know the answer to this, but I wonder if those are those temporary closures, staffing related closures, or longer closures. I'll be going to the park a month from yesterday, so hopefully at least some of them are back up and running by then. Thanks again for your detailed reply!

Fair enough regarding Haunted Mansion and scaring the kids, but be advised the "upcharge" is only $3 a person, so don't let that dissuade you.  I too noticed a lot of the rides I listed as being "closed" on the website right now....I have to assume they're either temporary or staffing related, because everything I mentioned in my list (except Flying Turns and the Flyers), were running during my visit on May 1st.  Power Surge I think was running, but rides with that kinda rotation mess me up so I skipped it and can't be sure.  A month from now who knows what might be up and running.  Good luck.  It truly is a magical place.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DILinator said:

I too am going to be heading through PA on a trip with my kids to visit relatives in Jersey next month, am planning on hitting Knoebels for the Sundown hours, and was wondering the same regarding typical lines and wait times on a weekday (wednesday) in July. That didn't really get addressed in the last two posts, so I thought I'd mention it again, just to get an idea. I get that a full day at Knoebels is better than a half day (none of us have been before), but that's just not in the cards for this trip, and I just wanted to at least finally get a taste of this legendary park. Any input on what the can't-miss rides or things to do there in 4 hours of time, certainly are appreciated as well! We're obviously going to do all the major coasters (that are open), and we're not going to do the Haunted Mansion, or any water attractions. Thanks in advance! 

In regards to waits on a Wednesday, for most attractions you shouldn't have to wait more than 5-10 minutes at most. Phoenix may see longer lines if there's a crowd but the ops always keep it moving considering it has one of the easiest and quickest restraint checks on any coaster, I've never waited more than 20 minutes on a weekday. Twister being on its own island practically means it'll usually be a walk-on. Impulse also is minimal waits even with the low-capacity trains because it scares the GP. The one big exception to all of this is course is Flying Turns (if it's open), that you can expect 30 minutes minimum to get on unless the park is dead, and that's an optimistic wait time for that ride.

Do keep in mind that Knoebel's also does the Sundown Special during the middle of summer weeks and that often does attract a crowd of locals because of how ridiculously affordable it is. So Phoenix in particular may actually see a longer wait later in the evening. But again, Knoebel's is so efficient with ops that a "long wait" there is comparable to average wait at a big park (except for Flying Turns). 

• Thanks 1

Since I had to postpone my NYC trip, I ended up at Knoebels last Thursday for 3 hours.  Wait times were mostly minimal.  Rode the following:

- Impulse (walk on but had about a 20-30 minute wait when I left)

- Twister (walk on most of the time I was there)

- Phoenix (walk on to 10 minutes)

- Carousel (one cycle for outside horse)

- Cosmotron (one cycle wait)

- AtmosFear (walk on)

- Whipper (walk on)

- Roto Jet (one cycle wait)

- Haunted Mansion (seemed to be a walk on entire time I was there)

- Pioneer Train (one train wait, two trains were being used so the line moved fast)

Flyers, Flying Turns, Looper, Satellite, Round Up, Power Surge, Sklooosh, Giant Wheel, Scenic SkyRide, Fandango, Tumbling Timbers and the new Tornado were all down along with several kids rides (all were listed as such on the website).  The line for the POP Wristband at one point stretched past the Carousel to the Birthday Cake pavilion, which is crazy.  Thankfully, I just used tickets and avoided that lineup.  Rides with surprisingly long lines were the Paratroper (full queue to overflowing), Antique Cars (full queue), and the Bumper Cars (queue spilled out 

Enjoy your visit.  Knoebels is one of the best amusement parks out there.  I just wish it wasn't a 5+ hour drive one way.  Not to mention traffic on I-80 West on the way home was a complete nightmare due to construction.  Waze said there was a 26 minute backup.  Got re-routed thankfully and didn't have to deal with it, but man, that was brutal!  

• Like 2

For those wondering about Flying Turns being ready to open. Coastercon is going to Knoebels Fri 6/25 & Sat 6/26. I am pretty sure they will do everything in their power to have it open for that. It is still listed on ert and as a bts tour, although they could change that last minute. They are actually offering a limited number of "walk the trough" spots on Flying Turns. We will be at con and really looking forward to the two days here since we have never been.

• Like 2

I'm checking the website now and they have 25 rides closed at the moment? I understand staffing issues, but that seems like a substantial portion of the park is closed during the week. May need to do some more to entice folks to work for you.

9 hours ago, DILinator said:

point to be made:

ABSOLUTELY worth the upcharge (~$3 for Haunted Mansion).    It's *not* a "scary, Haunted House attraction" - it's an old skool dark ride attraction where you slowly move by sets - cheesy, WONDERFUL sets, mostly in neon colors.

we love it, and it's for the throwback cheese factor, not the scary. . because really, it's less scary than the Disney Haunted Mansion.

here's a TPR ride thru. . . don't miss it, if going to Knoebels (also don't miss the chair lift, I'd do that over Impulse ANY day).

• Like 4

One last obligatory note is that if it is open, which it may not be because of staffing, the 5 for $5.75 (assuming the price is the same) Pierogi's at the roast beef stand are some of the best food in the park, according to many people (myself included). They're great pierogi's bathed in a pool of butter and onions.

I'll post a link to coasterbill's famous map to the pierogi place:

https://themeparkreview.com/forum/topic/6203-knoebels-discussion-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1860075

• Like 1

Thanks to everybody who replied with advice! So much good advice! It also sounds like, unless things pick up, a Wednesday evening in July for the Sundown hours may not be too bad for lines.

I'll definitely try to get the kids on the Haunted Mansion! I'm sure my 14 year old daughter will do it. I enjoy those old school ride through dark rides!

I also definitely want to try the legendary pierogies, if they're open! And yes, the image of power surge in the background is burned into my mind, so I should be able to find them, thanks to Bill! Lol

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DILinator said:

Thanks to everybody who replied with advice! So much good advice! It also sounds like, unless things pick up, a Wednesday evening in July for the Sundown hours may not be too bad for lines.

I'll definitely try to get the kids on the Haunted Mansion! I'm sure my 14 year old daughter will do it. I enjoy those old school ride through dark rides!

I also definitely want to try the legendary pierogies, if they're open! And yes, the image of power surge in the background is burned into my mind, so I should be able to find them, thanks to Bill! Lol

the famous "Cheese on a Stick" is also not to be missed.

that's sold only at Totem Treats, which is over by the Rocket Slide & Kiddie Carousel area.

IMG_5060.thumb.JPG.160cf34e905e29369d6e1b73ad3b7d02.JPG

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Taylor Finn said:

I'm checking the website now and they have 25 rides closed at the moment? I understand staffing issues, but that seems like a substantial portion of the park is closed during the week. May need to do some more to entice folks to work for you.

Knoebels is my favorite park but it seems they are perfectly content with keeping their rides closed if it means they don't have to raise their wages. 

Edit: Oh, and Twister went down today due to staffing. 

(Where you are up there ^^)   Just a reminder of where "those perogies" are...

PerogiesKnoebels.jpg.d23741bd5ddd812d56af70565190ee83.jpg

I forget who posted this - coasterbill? Is this your work? (I will correct, if needed) Thanks to whoever did. It's hilarious! So I saved it. 🌟

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on who you ask, the best row is either 1, 3, or 12. Personally, I find the front row is the most consistently great, but others disagree, and YMMV

• Like 2

My slight preference is for the front, but there really isn't a bad seat on Phoenix.  I feel like I've heard some people say that row 3 is the "magic seat," but I could be wrong.  

We were there Fri and Sat for Coastercon. Flyers and Skyride were open both days. They opened Flying Turns just for ert for those attending Con on Fri morning, Fri night, and Sat night. Sat morning some of us got to walk the "trough" on it, which was very cool. I truly did feel bad for the GP who saw us lining up for the nighttime ert and thought it was open but were told just for a private event, could tell the employees felt a little awkward about it too. During the walk through we learned what a maintenance nightmare the thing is and it does make me wonder how the time and expense will affect it's longevity. Hopefully, they will be able to run it more the rest of the year but they did state that staffing was an issue.

We also got lights on rides on BD and Haunted Mansion. And a completely lights off ride on Phoenix.

21 hours ago, VegasCoaster said:

If I have one ride on Phoenix in a day, where should I try and sit? Front? Back? I’ve heard of a magic seat but googling didn’t yield too many solid hits. 

Row 3.  Catapult effect.

Well, that's a bummer. I'm not a huge huge craft guy, but it was a nice way to spend some time on the Friday before the evening Phall Phunfest and throughout the weekend.

Knoebel's announced it'll be having an additional Hallo-fun weekend in lieu of the festival. Judging by the wording, it even seems like they realize the fairgrounds is a larger, more suitable venue for the festival. I think it'll be mutually beneficial, it'll allow the festival to expand in its new space while providing an additional weekend for the park's best event.

Screenshot_20210630-154822_Facebook.jpg