TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

From what we can see of the scenes so far, it looks really good! The whole thing looks a lot less like the original than I was expecting, but it also looks like it will be of a higher quality in many ways. It definitely looks much less like a coaster now.

As for Flying Turns, I'm getting the vibe that they're putting it on the back burner now more than ever and will only mention it again if they actually think they can open it soon.

I just can't see myself visiting until Flying Turns is finished, and this is coming from someone who lives 15 minutes away and will have 2 other new credits to get (Black Diamond and Kozmo's Kurves). I just don't feel like I should be giving them my money when they've failed to deliver something they started 6 freaking years ago.

That being said, Black Diamond looks awesome.

^ In all fairness, I'm sure that if they could, they'd have the ride open. I can't imagine they like the fact that they've spent all that time and money on a project that isn't open. I'm afraid it might have to be scrapped eventually. There might be good reason that there are no more of this ride type surviving today. The only problem is once management has put a lot of funds into a project, they're likely to do whatever they can to salvage their investment. The law of sunk costs states, however, that sunk costs are just that: sunk. It may be in their financial best interest to scrap the entire project. I wish Knoebels all the best, and like any other enthusiast I wish Flying Turns would open. If it does open, rest assured I will make the trip up from Cincinnati to catch the credit ASAP as I've never been on that ride type.

On a side note, I think it's awesome that even though they're stuck with Flying Turns, they continue to bring new attractions to the park. It speaks to the character of management and their commitment to the park and the public. I think we need more parks like Knoebels, and I feel bad for all the negative press Flying Turns has gotten. This sometimes happen when you take a risk no other park is willing to take.

Oh, and if I lived 15 minutes from the park, I'd be there all the time for the other coasters, anyway.

Oh, and if I lived 15 minutes from the park, I'd be there all the time for the other coasters, anyway.

Exactly!

^^I live 30 minutes from the park and visited there every Wednesday this summer. It is an awesome place to hang out and chill with friends. The Phoenix is one of the best coasters around and the bumper cars are truly amazing. Not to mention the delicious dinner you can get for a reasonable price.

There's no reason to boycott the park because of complications constructing a ride that hasn't been built in over 50 YEARS. It's not like the park said, "We failed. We can't build anymore rides." Instead they've kept adding new rides to the park, including two new credits. It took to me awhile to truly appreciate my home park, but after visiting many other parks each year, I have realized that Knoebels is truly one of the best parks in existence. I think you should appreciate it more.

I just don't feel like I should be giving them my money when they've failed to deliver something they started 6 freaking years ago.

I can't understand your line of thought here. I can understand being disappointed, we all are to some extent, but how do you feel so entitled as to run a boycott against them for attempting something no other park in the world would attempt? They sunk who knows how much money into this thing, all in the name of reviving a piece of amusement park history. As enthusiasts, I can't imagine why any of us would not continue to support that, especially seeing as they continue to add awesome new attractions with historical significance such as the Black Diamond.

If I lived 15 minutes away from Knoebels, they'd have to sign a restraining order to keep me away.

No offense intended, as I've never met him personally, but it's views like that that made me not like some of the regional ACE events we had around Cincinnati, and that's why I'm no longer a member. It's certain people ruining it for the vast majority of members who are just there to have fun and they really like roller coasters. Getting all bent out of shape because a heartline twist was removed on a great ride before it opened, or bitching about not being able to ride with 8 inches between themselves and the lapbar anymore is just ridiculous. The wrong person can turn an amusement park into a verbal abusement park. When I was a ride op, nothing bugged me more than an enthusiast who "knew" everything about my ride and didn't obey safety orders then argued with me. I'm just doing my job, buddy!

/off topic

Anyway, Black Diamond's trains look pretty cool. It'll be interesting to see if it is indeed an upcharge - how much will it cost?

^^ & ^^^ Totally agree. I live 3-4 hours away depending on how crappy road construction in PA is, and when I had the time and money to visit a lot of parks I went to Knoebels at least once or twice a year. I didn't exactly think the park was amazing on my first visit, but by my second and with maybe 100 more coasters and a dozen more parks under my belt, I really appreciated what great, no hassle fun Knoebels is. At any big park (and many small ones), so much can go wrong when it comes to crappy operations, high general admission and parking, high food and souviner prices, crappy food, long wait times, etc. It seems like thats never an issue at Knoebels. In fact, each time I go it seems to rain, but there are still people in the park, all the rides operate (if not better because of rain), all the food stands are open, etc.

Anyway, I haven't been to Knoebels (haven't been pretty much anywhere else either) since 08, and can't wait to go back, despite the fact that Flying Turns is still a big wooden lawn ornament. I don't know much about Black Diamond, so I'm hoping it surprises me in some ways. Plus there's two more credits and everything else that was good (besides the best kiddie coaster ever, but I think I'll survive!) is still there.

I don't think Knoebels can be blamed for Flying Turns not opening. I'm sure that, within reason, if Dick could get away with letting the train haul ass down the track, bouncing from side to side without regard for lateral acceleration limits or center of gravity maintenance, he would. Not that he runs an unsafe park, don't get me wrong, I'd never suggest that, but that he likes his thrill rides to be authentically thrilling. Anyone who's ever rode his bumper cars or his flyers with a group of experienced enthusiasts can attest to that!

Legal issues aside, I keep hearing from secondhand sources that there's another issue (although probably related to the lateral acceleration): the wheels beat the hell out of the track, and if they try to remedy that, the track beats the hell out of the wheels. Knoebels has no quarrel with staying on top of maintenance, but on the other hand, I don't think that means that they want to have a ride that's a maintenance nightmare either. There's this little thing called a Vekoma corkscrew that used to sit where Flying Turns does, and I've heard nothing but bad stories about that.

As to the price of the Black Diamond: it's already listed as $2, and I've seen nothing that says it's not included in the POP plans, although this early in the game it's hard to say whether that's true or just an oversight. The rate page no longer lists a price for Flying Turns for this year, although the POP part of the page still says that Flying Turns isn't included.

I doubt we're going to hear anything from Knoebels about Flying Turns until they are ready to open it. Part of me really wants to know more about the status of the project. Hopefully we'll get a little belated present and see it open this season.

No news on this lately? I'm hoping it's ready for August and Road to CP but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I would not be expecting it. We already had one TPR tour come and go through Knoebel's in 2008 without Flying Turns and it was one of the BEST days on the trip. I wouldn't worry about it, and I would certainly not have any expectation that it will be open.

Black Diamond on the other hand I'm told WILL be open, so you'll have at least one new ride to look forward to.

--Robb

Ya, it looks as if it runs just like the old gravity powered haunted houses... You get pulled to the top, then slowly roll to the bottom.

Pretty much, but it has two speed-controlled drops , and has about 4 lift hills throughout the ride. Knoebels also posted another Facebook picture showing a miner with a dynamite plunger. I noticed the track next to it and it was all the way down on the floor (in the beginning of each level the track is about 3 feet above the floor and gradually descends to the floor before the drop). This means it's right before one of the drops, so I figured the trick is to have the miner "blow up" the mine, and then you drop down one level as a result of the "explosion". That's going to be one awesome trick!

Wow, class of 2008! Knoebels is one of the parks that provided some of the best memories ever on that trip. It really is something special and unique. To be honest, even without Flying Turns, some us still didn't even finish all that there was to do at the park in terms of crazy classic flat rides. Oh, dare I say the best flyers and bumper cars around?

I can't wait to try out Flying Turns, whenever it opens. I really think it'll be worth the wait.

• 5 weeks later...
This looks like so much fun. I hope it is ready for opening weekend!!

According to a comment on their facebook page, they said it won't be ready for opening day, but it will open not long after that.

I am really liking how detailed they are getting with this coaster. Can't wait to see more.