TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

Wow they are making some fast progress!

I was at Knoebels a week and a half ago and I already think there's more than enough to do there (especially if you count all of the amazing food). When they open Black Diamond and the Flying Turns though they'll have two more major additions (and classic) additions to their already amazing line up. I'm very excited!

When I was there yesterday they seemed to have the next generation cars sitting on the brake run. They didn't have any seats to them, but it doesn't seems like it would take much to finish the ride up.

The FT cars have been sitting on the brake run all season. I don't even know if they've been testing them at all. It looks like there isn't even any grease on the lift chain that goes back up to the station.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was exactly five years ago today that this thread was started after Knoebels announced Flying Turns at PPP '05. I just wanted to wish Flying Turns a happy 5th pre-birthday. I would like to think that the ride will open before the sixth anniversary of this thread starting, but I'm getting less and less optimistic.

Dick said that they're going to start building the decorations/stunts next week. He also said that they're building new trains, contradicting their previous claim that they were going to refurbish the old ones. Hopefully this goes better than Flying Turns, but he says it should be ready for opening day next year.

They probably tried to refurbish the old trains, but upon finding how much needed to be replaced opted to just start from scratch and get a better quality product. I don't think it's fair to compare these trains to Flying Turns, as I assume they don't have to work out extensive engineering problems for these.

• 1 month later...

I'm sure it'll be easier to build new trains for Black Diamond than Flying Turns. With Black Diamond, they have something to go off of to build the trains, it isn't like the trains will be the first of their type in 40-50 years. Plus, the Black Diamond trains will not be exposed to the forces that Flying Turns' trains will.

I'm really amazed at how fast this ride is going up, as it seems like they just started construction, but then again, the Flying Turns disaster has probably skewed my thoughts on how fast Knoebels can build a new coaster. I can't wait to see the finished coaster, and hopefully it lives up to all the hype. The ride itself doesn't seem that great, but given the theme(and that its at Knoebels) I'm sure it'll turn out great.

• 4 weeks later...

It seems like Flying Turns has been removed from the site on the rides page as wells at the pricing page. Now the only place to find anything on the ride is down at the bottom of the "What's New?' page. I doubt that they gave up on it, but probably took that info off because they were getting so many replies about people asking if it was opening in 2011.

The Flying Turns Project website to just goes to Knoebels's homepage.

That's not really a good thing, in my opinion. I thought the new trains were supposed to arrive this winter -- what happened to that?

On the other hand, Black Diamond is listed at $2, so it must be progressing as expected!

So nice to hear that the Black Diamond's track is now completed and the ride is slated to up and running on opening day (knock, knock, knock on wood). As to me, regardless if another ride (you know the one that rhymes with "Lying Turds") will ever be open, I still plan on visiting Knoebels this season. They still have plenty of other rides I know I'll enjoy riding; such as The Phoenix, The Twister, The Paratrooper, Tea Cups, and get to drive those Motor Boats (how many other parks do you know that has the motor boat attraction like the one at Knoebels?)

"I'm still sleeping. zzz . . .zzz . . .zzz . . ."

• 2 weeks later...

Knoebels is awesome enough that it doesn't need a facade. The Haunted Mansion is just a house, and the Cosmotron is a round, grey metal building. If they make one for Black Diamond, cool. If not, you won't see me complaining. It's what's on the inside that counts, and if those are indeed props inside, then we can expect it to be on par with the Mansion. The mine car, compared to the originals, looks dead on as well.