TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

In my newspaper today, the Daily Item, they had an article about Knoebels. In it they stated that Flying Turns should open sometime between Memorial Day and July 4 and that the new kiddie coaster will be called "Kosmo's Kurves", opening hopefully by June.

Another article, also poses a possible location for the Golden Nugget. The spokesman for the park says that they "may locate it in close proximity to the park's mining museum."

1839812387_knoebelscopy.jpg.880cd6883228cee3a020b45128796fb2.jpg

Newspaper Article from the Daily Item

they want it to be “fun" and “not scary?” well, there goes all my excitement… well, no, not really: i've always wished i had a chance to ride one of the original Flying Turns, and i'm glad that someone is trying to bring them back, but one of the reasons why is because i've heard about how incredibly intense and frightening they supposedly were! when i heard the ride was running “too fast” i thought it meant “too dangerous”, not “too scary” — “too scary” is a good thing!

In my newspaper today, the Daily Item, they had an article about Knoebels. In it they stated that Flying Turns should open sometime between Memorial Day and July 4...

Well, that's bad news for ACE as the preservation conference is set up for the May 15th - 17th with plenty of ERT on FT scheduled... then again, it wouldn't be a stretch for Knoebels to open the coaster a bit pre-maturly and have the official opening between Memorial Day and July 4th... afterall, they opened Twister for the ACE conference several years ago while the carpenters were still building the station and queue and other workers were still connecting support wires...

Kosmo's Kurves? That sounds like a kiddy ride, not a suitable repacement for the High Speed Thrill Coaster. Hopefully it's just a poor name choice and not a lame coaster.

Dudes, there's still time to rename the Miler. Save Kosmo's Kurves for when you build a wooden wild mouse.

I'm a little worried about talk of taming the Flying Turns too. I'm hoping to see a ride that looks more like the test video and less like an Intamin bobsled!

• 2 months later...

WELL YOU HERE IT FIRST HERE.

Last night at Dinner for ACE's Spring Preservation Con Knoebels revealed to us the new name of the Golden Nugget will be.........

Black Diamond

He also said construction will start once they can build a new enclosure for the Eagles the park has as that is where the Black Diamond will go.

Dick also asked if there is anything else we would like them to move

Best of luck Knoebels!

Awesome news; I like the new name.

When he asked if there was anything else you would like to be moved, did anyone respond?

Actually my friend shouted out the Big Dipper and Dick responded

"well unfortunately we are running out of room"

And about the other 2 the Turns is missing the section leading to the second lift and the Break run is still tore up. We got a through tour.

There is still no coaster where HSTC was Dick did let us in on a secret and told us the new coaster will feature a cross under as the group building it refused to copy the design of HSTC.

Knoebels was also awarded the first ever American Coaster Enthusiast Ray Ueberroth Preservation Award. Dick Knoebels you could tell was chocked up as Ray and Dick I hear knew each other very well.

Out of room? He has a golf course!

How does a cross-under differ from a cross-over? I hope we aren't getting a glorified Wacky Worm. I must admit I'm not familiar with Miler's offerings.

If you've been to Waldameer, Ravine Flyer 3 is a Miler coaster. I don't know where exactly you have or haven't been, but as far as PA goes, that's currently the only Miler coaster in the state.

According to RCDB, the new kiddie coaster will be named Kozmo's Kurves. New credits never hurt.

Count me in as a fan of the Black Diamond name, can't wait to see it in action.

I'm getting more discouraged by the day about the Flying Turns. I have little hope left that they can open it this year.

Did they say anything about what else they had to do other than rebuild those two sections?

I wasn't paying attention to the motor boats today, but there's no track going up yet, nothing but small concrete pads, so I would assume they're open. You could always call the park or email them.

I was at ACE's Spring Preservation Con last weekend. If you go to the original entrance of HSTC, you'll see a basic picture of what Kosmo's Kurves will look like. The boats were running when we were there for the event.

In addition, Golden Nugget will be located where the Eagles are now, next to the museum. But, first that have to relocate the eagles. The current working name for the resurrected Nugget is Black Diamond. Dick's hopes are to possibly get Black Diamond opened sometime next year.

Nuts, I knew I should've walked around to the entrance. I saw the footers from the road, and I tried to get a look at them from over by the salt & pepper shaker, but I didn't walk around any further.

I snapped some pictures with my smartphone's camera. Here's some pictures of Kozmo's Kurves.

Photo_052209_001.thumb.jpg.7f849e15bc80f6a6793b11aab5f4dec0.jpg

And finally, a sign announcing the new coaster, along with a top-view of the layout.

Photo_052209_003.thumb.jpg.b2967df8d7ac6e734af6f6997e627e49.jpg

Even the MotorBoats were running.

Photo_052209_002.thumb.jpg.1aeedba050aa41dabf5399ca4741d15d.jpg

Here you can see more footers that have just been poured, and some additional ones near the station.

Photo_052209_004.thumb.jpg.3e711fff1c00813505ab0e506904faa1.jpg

Working on the footers

It's good to see that the Motorboats are in operation.

Whether or not they will be open once the coaster starts going up is another story, but I can imagine they would work around it because they're one of the biggest family favorites at the park.

Not to mention, when was the last time you went to Knoebels and found that any of your favorite rides were closed?

As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure the entire park was in full operation every time I've been there, which is nearing the 20th time at least.

Just got back after a quick visit...no new news on either Kozmo's Kurves or Flying Turns. There was a line of footers without track at the Turns, which I'm guessing is where the transfer track will go, and still the same new footers at KK. It's so hard to walk by the Turns because I just want to ride it so damn bad

• 1 month later...