TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

To paraphrase Living Color:

Now you can tear a coaster down

But you can't erase a memory

This coaster may look all broke down

But it has a value you can't see

It was my 300th coaster credit you mofos!

Actually Phoenix should have been, but my coaster counting went awry by +1.

I'll have to post up the POV when I get to Knoebels on my East Coast trip report.

Now let's see if Golden Nugget turns up - here's hoping.

I'm surprised Knoebels removed this/is removing this. Now they won't have a kiddie coaster, OR a steel coaster. And...I hear it has ejector air...?

They're replacing it with another family coaster. They haven't said what exactly, but on their website it now says NEW Family Coaster - Price TBD.

As for the reason it's being removed... A co-worker has a relative who works on the park's maintenance crew. He said that the welders refused to try to weld it anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

I had heard this rumor forever and just couldn't believe it.

Surely Knoebels has other things to worry about then bringing back ANOTHER ride from the past with serious issues...cough Flying Turns cough.

I love Knoebels to death, but I gotta wonder what they're thinking with this one.

^ I think they're just thinking that they want to save the ride. (And they probably got a good deal on it.) In the article, they mention that it's a 2010 project at best. I interpret that as "we're not doing anything with it until we're sure we're done with Flying Turns."

I had heard this rumor forever and just couldn't believe it.

Surely Knoebels has other things to worry about then bringing back ANOTHER ride from the past with serious issues...cough Flying Turns cough.

I love Knoebels to death, but I gotta wonder what they're thinking with this one.

That's exactly my reaction!

I think that they will probably wait until they have Flying Turns figured out before they do anything with Golden Nugget. I hope that when they DO bring Golden Nugget back to life, they make it into a really cool dark ride.

I was sad to see the ride rotting away earlier this year, I'm glad it will find a new life at one of the best parks in the US!

I think that they will probably wait until they have Flying Turns figured out before they do anything with Golden Nugget. I hope that when they DO bring Golden Nugget back to life, they make it into a really cool dark ride.

Agreed. Knoebels really should complete the construction of Flying Turns... then begin working on Golden Nugget.

I do applaud Knoebels for attempting to keep a classic ride in the spotlight. It should look great in the park.

So for 2009 and possibly 2010, Knoebels could be getting 2 or technically 3 new coasters? Sounds great.

I have to admit that the park is turning out to be a great amusement resort (I'd like to say theme park, but I don't think the park would like to be considered that). After visiting in 2003, 2005, 2006, and in 2008, I've seen the park slowly grow, even though I probably won't get to the park this year, it sounds like it would be worth the wait to go in 2010.

The ride will go great with the surrounding area's theme since they are famous for coal mining.

Best rumor confirmation ever. As I have stated various times by now, Knoebels is one of my favorite parks now. Even though I'll miss HSTC, I'm sure this will be a welcome adition. Either way, gives me an excuse to ride Phoenix again

I'm so glad Knoebels bought Golden Nugget I never got a chance to ride it at Morey's & am looking forward to riding it in 2010. At least Golden Nugget will be in the area not on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean like Dorney's Laser. I'm hopefully going to the ceremony on Saturday & if I go I'll definitely take lots of pics & a video!

I'm so glad they got it, when I was at Morey's Piers last year and I was wondering what was in that building.

Now I'm even keener to get back to Knoebels now, and I was already like a hyper puppy about going back to Knoebels even before the announcement.

^It's cool I live a lazy 12,000 miles from Knoebels so I won't be going back real soon even though I'd like too.

It will be interesting to see what they do with it, whether it will be an indoor/outdoor sort of thing like it was at Morey's or just be an outdoor coaster.

The ride will go great with the surrounding area's theme since they are famous for coal mining.

The park owns so many Halloween props, they could go down the road to Centralia and put up Silent Hill: The Ride.

I'm confused. Is this ride a coaster, or is it a gravity-powered dark ride with some coaster-like elements?

I've been on it twice and it's pretty much a gravity powered dark ride. There's one part with a drop that goes into a turn but the car is braked immidiately afterwards.

I rode it in 1996 and I remember it being kind of like The Underground at Advetureland. While it was gravity powered and technically a "coaster" it felt more like a dark ride. Imagine if Knott's Calico Mine Ride was gravity powered and not driven by a locomotive.

--Robb