TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

No actually most of central Pa is in a drought right now. I know that where I live (about 20 miles from knoebels) we are about 5 inches under with rainfall. but it is raining now, and when it has rained lately its been pretty much all at night with some exceptions, which is a good thing for the construction.

I seriously cant wait to ride it!

Does anyone else think that on the webcam, at the back left corner of the station, it looks like there's a semicircular platform as if that's where the operator's console is going to be? Twister has it in the same place, and last week it looked as if there was a big electrical cable in this spot. (It's hard to tell what anything is on those cameras though.)

I hope that having the station entrance in the front doesn't lead to the problem it does on El Toro: having the front-seat line blocking the entrance. I have a feeling the best seat is going to be at the back, but I'm sure there will be a line for the front. (I mean in normal operation; obviously at opening the station will be packed for every seat.)

I saw the semi circular "platform" and assumed it was one of the left over rings for the trough. I remember they put a ring as an entry arch for the queue to the station, then removed it. It might be that same ring, or a different one.

EDIT: I went back and looked at the picture. The ring I was talking about was actually on the loading side of the station (the lift side), and is no longer there. They might have used it as a guide for constructing the operator console. I didn't notice the platform on the unloading (Looper) side. You can see the booth off the edge of the camera's field of view. It's placement is similar to where they put the main console on the Twister. There appears to be a space between the railing in the back of the station and the operator's console.

Better lighting angle this morning, definitely a structure in that corner. Also work going on on the 2nd lift hill, it looks like they're putting teflon or something in the bottom of the chain trough.

The chain is on.

As of last Sunday, they hadn't started either of the transfer switches yet. If anyone gets there this week, please check. They're going to be where the first lift meets the helix and where the bottom of the helix meets the second lift, and they're the only unfinished sections of track other than the transfer track itself.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the station in person-

It looks like Knoebel is going with a hangar theme for the station itself. They put in some more brake hardware. The operator's booth is built, but no wiring or controls yet.

It also seems that there's an influx of asian people in the area- I saw 4 asian people working the Twister last night, and two at the Phoenix. Either they're college students, or the area is becoming more diversified. It has been predominately white for a long time.

It also seems that there's an influx of asian people in the area- I saw 4 asian people working the Twister last night, and two at the Phoenix. Either they're college students, or the area is becoming more diversified. It has been predominately white for a long time.

I noticed that as well, but thought it'd cause too much of a stir to even ask anyone about it. I'm guessing it's a college internship or something.

Also, the station roof is nearing completion it looks.

Just got back from the park today, saw more work going on at the Turns.

beer08260713.jpg.ce4e14872c289b25bd1cca33eaf58ec7.jpg

Station to the right with 1st lift, can't wait for this to open

beer08260714.jpg.ac056405494a13a1da88301e636f4361.jpg

Still working, even on a Sunday to get this thing done and opened

beer08260728.jpg.e7f3cc5d86e2100a6b295ae5da74a43f.jpg

Looking through the structure at the station hangar theme

beer08260731.jpg.3ae4542cf9339190ce49aa22535c52e9.jpg

final lift back to station

beer08260732.jpg.d3942f0de2dacbc3b90c40fdb8ac71e9.jpg

Looking good, with station to the left

I was glad to see today that all the brake cylinders seem to be in place. On the other hand, I don't know how many more footers they need for the transfer switches, and in fact at the roadside by the helix there were two footers that had been yanked out of somewhere.

itll be interesting when some of the structure turns that classic wooden silver color and some is still fresh and new looking lol. I never thought of that as much as when looking at those new pics (thanks for the pics btw), and the figure 8 looks a bit more aged then that new looking final lift area, not that it really matters or makes a difference but just will look interesting. I can't wait to check this out more hopefully around labor day.

Here's a run down on what's happening, taken from rec.roller-coaster and other places:

The influx of Asians at Knoebels:

Turns out they're foreign exchange students from South Korea. Here's a local news article that I read on Sunday that spotlights the students that have been living in the area over the summer:

http://www.dailyitem.com/archivesearch/local_story_238080440.html

The trains: Knoebels has been statisfied with the outcomes from the testing done with the test train they have on track and the seating mockups and have already ordered a train to be built. The second train will come later.

The two missing gaps in the track: Obviously, those are where the transfer tracks are to go. The reason why they haven't been built yet is because John Fetterman wanted to find out the turning radius of the train so the correct radius of the transfer track could be built. Now they have the turning radius, the transfer track has been designed and construction has begun on the transfer tracks.

The two footers yanked out: Due to the design of the transfer track, a "double bent" was needed, and the current footer that was already poured was too small. So, they yanked it out, and dug out a much larger hole for a larger footer to accommodate a double bent.

This is the information I got from "Coastin' Steve" who is a carpenter working on the Flying Turns and a rec.roller-coaster contributor as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just heard from Coastin Steve over at RRC saying that the Flying Turns might open for PPP! They just test rolled the transfer table section between the helix and the 2nd lift. The track section also has an airtime hill! The side friction track from the top of the first lift leading to the helix is being constructed now.

The 5 car train chassis is now at Knoebel's shop from the manufacturer, and from the sound of it, it will have wooden bodies and padding. They could have it ready for testing within a week or two.

This just in from Coastin' Steve, one of the carpenters for the Flying Turns at Knoebels:

---------------

"Well boys and girls, despite Dick's inspirational pep talks over the last few weeks. And the carpentry crew busting our backs to get the track done (the track WILL be ready for the train to roll by the end of this week).

Delays on getting the train assembled, and the remaining less than 2 weeks, have made it impossible for us to get the Flying Turns open to ride for the PPP. 8-(

There's just too much testing and fine tuning to do before it will be ready to ride.

We're fairly sure we'll have the train on track by then and hope you'll come to the PPP and watch it SILENTLY roll and talk to us as we run the train through the testings that we need to do.

As I said in one of my previous posts, the controling bumpers (funnels) where the train goes from trough to track, couldn't be developed with the 2 test chassis. It needs the full 5 car train so the exact ride path can be seen and the controling bumpers designed and built from there. Hope to see you at the PPP.