TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

So.. I just read the entire thread (yes, starting in 2005!) for catching up how Knoebel's became what it is.

That was a fascinating journey, for me in special because we started getting real enthusiasts just three years ago and didn't know many things that happened in the amusement park business before and in the US in special.

We went to Knoebel's in July 2017 as it was on our road trip from Niagara Falls to New York City. As it was a spontaneous stop, we only had three to four hours. It was a busy Sunday, so we just were able to doe the Phoenix, Flying Turns, Twister, Downdraft, Skyride and the Whipper.

I have to admit that we weren't prepared properly. If we had read this thread before, we would have known that the Scooters, the carousel and the Flyers are an absolute must-do.

And (sorry, Bill) we ate at the Alamo and didn't eat the Pierogis.. Might be a shame.

I was surprised to read that Over The Top is no more, because it wasn't even open to the public when we were there. And I was sad that Downdraft is being replaced, I really loved it.

So what can I say? I'm so sad that I cannot foresee when we will be able to return to this fantastic park, to which we fell in love after minutes being there. It was such a blast. We really need to come back for a whole day or more. If we would have Knoebel's over here, we would visit it every other week.

So please keep posting pictures, trip reports and news so we don't miss anything to add to our list for 202X!

If you haven't heard of them already, I'd recommend two podcasts, Coaster Radio.com and The Season Pass. Both have been going for over a decade now and the full archives are free online. Coaster Radio is out of Indianapolis and Washington DC, and Season Pass is out of Sacramento, so you get reporting from a good variety of US parks (and occasionally a few outside the US). Good production values too. Should be fun for you to go back and listen to the archives.

If you haven't heard of them already, I'd recommend two podcasts, Coaster Radio.com and The Season Pass. Both have been going for over a decade now and the full archives are free online. Coaster Radio is out of Indianapolis and Washington DC, and Season Pass is out of Sacramento, so you get reporting from a good variety of US parks (and occasionally a few outside the US). Good production values too. Should be fun for you to go back and listen to the archives.

Nope, haven't heard of them yet, but that will have changed soon!

Is there a recommended / most convenient hotel to stay at between Knoebels and Hershey? Ideally something approximately halfway from both if I wanted to a weekend at both parks (Saturday at one, Sunday at other). Was looking at Hampton Inn in Pine Grove.

Is there a recommended / most convenient hotel to stay at between Knoebels and Hershey? Ideally something approximately halfway from both if I wanted to a weekend at both parks (Saturday at one, Sunday at other). Was looking at Hampton Inn in Pine Grove.

We stayed at the Super 8 Danville off of I-80 and it was super worth it. We came close to 10 pm without booking. Staff was extremely friendly, also with helping finding a place for food, and the room was comfortable and clean. You'll have a 10 to 15 minute ride to Knoebel's.

Edited by Pedrinho

^ As a point of correction, it's Interstate 80.

But hotels in that corridor will require you to blow right past Knoebels to get there, which I'm assuming isn't what you want.

There's a Holiday Inn Express in the Frackville area (Interstate 81 exit 124A). If you stay there, you'll then drive on PA Route 61 northbound through Centralia and Mt. Carmel, then PA Route 54 westbound to Elysburg, and finally PA 487 northbound to the park.

If you're going to Knoebels first reverse those directions. PA-487 S, PA-54 E, and PA-61 S.

Though, in fairness, if you take Interstate 90, you'll get to go to Waldameer, which is another pretty good little Pennsylvania amusement park.

Though, in fairness, if you take Interstate 90, you'll get to go to Waldameer, which is another pretty good little Pennsylvania amusement park.

Yeah, I figured out that I-90 was the Interstate we used to dreive from Cedar Point to Niagara Falls.

Perhaps it was wrong in my mind because of my secret desire to do the Ravine Flyer II, which we couldn't do due to time issues..

Per the Daily Item, Knoebels is replacing Over the Top with Tumbling Timbers.

ELYSBURG — A ride that debuted briefly last year at Knoebels Amusement Resort will not return for the park's 93rd season, but visitors will still have a new family-friendly ride to experience.

5c768e09cde62.image.thumb.jpg.6e9300102ce9f3cb08d490e762fc75f4.jpg

The troublesome "Over the Top" was removed from the park in the off-season, but park officials plan to debut a 16-passenger family ride called "Tumbling Timbers" to take its place. Over the Top was set to debut in May 2017, but problems with the programming delayed the ride until 2018, but even then it was barely open to the public.

"We experienced two years of limited operation," said Knoebels spokesperson Stacy Ososkie. "We wanted to provide a consistent operation, and it isn't the type of project we wanted to work at for seven years like the Flying Turns. We thought we would be better off putting something there that is more reliable."

When Knoebels purchased Over the Top, it was only the second ride of its kind ever created by ride manufacturer, SBF-VISA, based out of Italy; the floor model at the industry expo in Orlando was the only other one at the time. It shared some characteristics of a former ride called the Flying Cages, parts of which can be seen in the Knoebels History Museum. That ride operated at Knoebels from 1964 until the park’s Handstamp Building was constructed in 1986.

A rider in the old ride was challenged to shift their weight back and forth inside the cage, while standing, in an attempt to make the cage go ‘over the top.’

Riders would not have been tasked with propelling Over the Top, but rather software was designed to control its movement. However, the software never worked properly, resulting in inconsistent cycle length. It was shipped back to Italy for readjustments and returned in 2018 to limited operation, Ososkie said.

Ososkie said they worked with the ride manufacturer to replace Over the Top. Tumbling Timbers is scheduled for a late spring or early summer opening.

“Everything about Tumbling Timbers ‘just fits,’” said Brian Knoebel, fourth generation co-owner of Knoebels. “Yes, it perfectly fits in the available space, but it’s also a great addition to the ride lineup in that area. The woodland theming ties in with the groves found throughout the park, and the history of the property as a sawmill.”

Tumbling Timbers has a rotating platform with four four-passenger cars, which also spin. A rider must be 36 inches tall to ride with an adult and 48 inches tall to ride alone.

Additionally, Knoebels completely refurbished the Italian Trapeze, installed new LED lighting packages for the StratosFear and the Ribbit and replaced the Downdraft, which has been a staple of the park since 2001.

“A Facebook announcement of Downdraft’s departure made it evident many guests just weren’t ready to say goodbye to the ride,” said Ososkie. “It’s safe to say we weren’t either. We’re excited to announce that another generation of guests will be able to enjoy the thrill of swooping 40 feet in the air on a shiny, new Downdraft.”

Opening weekend for Knoebels is April 27-28, which will feature a BOGO ride-all-day pass special.

Link

I think it would be awesome if they themed the back area of the park to a lumber mill, because the real thing is just up the hill that Phoenix is at the base of. Also a GCI that goes up the mountain would be a dream come true! The two are only 26 minutes away, please make it happen!

I think it would be awesome if they themed the back area of the park to a lumber mill, because the real thing is just up the hill that Phoenix is at the base of. Also a GCI that goes up the mountain would be a dream come true! The two are only 26 minutes away, please make it happen!

Knoebels doesn't really have themed areas. They don't really need themed areas. You can buy vanilla lattes out of a giant loaf of bread. You can crash boats under a purple roller coaster named after a bear. You're wanting to change the dynamics of the entire park. I think you're in the wrong place. I can help.

Here you are, sir. Eat your heart out:

https://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39458

Fascination is very much a game of skill. Having won well over my fair share of tickets on it the best thing I can say is to simply understand how the ball will act in certain conditions and be able to aim for general areas on the board. It is difficult to aim for a specific hole outside a handful of them but with practice you should be able to comprehend the physics behind the chaos that is the wonderful game of Fascination.

Well, that's the first I've heard of this. I've always understood that it's basically completely random. Aside from blatant cheating, the only rules I've noticed (which I know doesn't prove they provide an advantage, but I'd suspect so) are "no bank shots" and to not put your hand under the glass when rolling. Then again, I'm no expert; just another person who sometimes gets carried away playing.

I'd definitely ride Tumbling Timbers, the infamous spinning kiddie coaster reimagined as a flat ride!

Knoebels doesn't really have themed areas. They don't really need themed areas. You can buy vanilla lattes out of a giant loaf of bread. You can crash boats under a purple roller coaster named after a bear. You're wanting to change the dynamics of the entire park. I think you're in the wrong place. I can help.

Here you are, sir. Eat your heart out:

https://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39458

Thanks, but Knoebels is my favorite park that I’ve ever been to. I get it’s out of their dynamic, but why not at least theme some of the back bit where their lumber facility is just up the hillside from Phoenix?

I get it’s out of their dynamic, but...
...why not at least theme some of the back bit where their lumber facility is just up the hillside from Phoenix?

You answered your own question before you asked it. It's not what they do, with the exception of a few individual attractions such as Black Diamond. As a former local who visited several times a year every year since childhood, I have never cared.

Edited by A.J.

This seems like the appropriate place to post this. Really cool video about the only play for cash Fascination parlor left in existence. I will say I am glad Knoebel's Fascination parlor is not play for cash so the whole family can join in!

Need some input, is it possible to do both Knoebels and Dorney Park in one day? I’m planning a Pennsylvania/New Jersey coaster road trip for this summer and trying to see if I can/should attempt to ride all the coasters at both parks in one day. It seems doable since the parks are only 1.5 hours apart, though with all the good things I’ve heard about Knoebels, I wonder if I might need more than 4-5 hours there.