TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

Hah. Sounds like typical camping, I guess. I'm still really surprised more people here haven't taken a chance in the cottages, but they do look pretty run down.

I have one booked for this summer, I'll make sure to do up a report and get pictures there, but I won't be there until the end of August, so it won't do anyone much good for planning anything this year!

I have to say, they don't really look run down to me. A bit "rustic", maybe a little dated, but at least in the pictures they look decent enough. It /is/ Knoebels...I trust them!

You might want to avoid this place then. LOL

Campground near Knoebels

Lmfao! I can always depend on you to point me in the right direction, Phil! Your report just sealed the deal. I think I actually remember reading your TR in my days of cubicle work at a plastics manufacturer I used to work for.

We originally planned on hitting Knoebels on a Saturday, after driving most of the way Friday. Emily and I discussed it last night and she told me she didn't take off work that Friday, since she was off all of the following week. Apparently taking off on that Friday would be a bad idea, since she's heading the way for a new operating system at her work. FML. At least for once I had an opportunity to tell her "We talked about this!!" Instead of the other way around.

I think our plans are finalized and we're going to book in a week or so:

Saturday: Home to Pittsburgh in 9 hours.Overnight stay in Pittsburgh using our free Hyatt night.

Sunday: Leave before 6am and hit Knoebels from 11-7.

Monday: Hit Pottsville for the Yuengling brewery tour and hang around the town a bit to let our couple of beers wear off. Drive an hour to Hershey Lodge. We plan on buying the 2-day stay and play pass, with an extra night, being check-in night. Maybe catch dinner somewhere around the area. Possibly visit the park at night, but I don't want to get burned out.

Tuesday: Visit the park and Chocolate World. Probably hit an early dinner somewhere in town and return to the park at night

Wednesday: We'll likely get a fast pass premium and ride whatever we want, whenever we want, because screw waiting in line even if it's for 15 minutes. 'Binge and Ride Day' with multiple visits to Beer Man starting in the afternoon and plenty of riding.

Thursday: Long miserable 12 hour drive home.

I know people are going to say we should spend more time at Knoebels, and I would like to, but I think I'll be content with 8 hours as a nice little introduction to the next few days. We're both looking forward to Knoebels, but Hershey seems way more suited to our Midwestern hoosier American characterless basic bitch corporate desires, so our main focus will be Hershey. I'm really looking forward to this trip. Thanks again for all of the help.

Yes, while you should spend more time at Knoebels (because Knoebels), you don't NEED to spend more than a day there. In eight hours, you will be able to get on everything you want at least once, and still be able to relax. As Hersheypark is the focus of your trip, just let Knoebels be what it is for most people - the best no-commitment, humble, relaxing amusement park in the mid-Atlantic, if not the entire United States.

you should spend more time at Knoebel's. . . but I'm wondering why you aren't swinging by Kennywood while you are in Pittsburgh?

even a "quick" stop for spins on Jackrabbit, Racer, Thunderbolt, Phantom, Bayern Curve, Black Widow, Kangaroo, and the nuts Paratrooper program (ok, and Skyrocket on the way out). . make the trip to Kennywood worth it.

^We're not big on flats, so re-rides on anything except Phoenix is not a priority. Aside from the coasters, my only ambitions are the boat ride, the flume, the whip, and the haunted house.

you should spend more time at Knoebel's. . . but I'm wondering why you aren't swinging by Kennywood while you are in Pittsburgh?

even a "quick" stop for spins on Jackrabbit, Racer, Thunderbolt, Phantom, Bayern Curve, Black Widow, Kangaroo, and the nuts Paratrooper program (ok, and Skyrocket on the way out). . make the trip to Kennywood worth it.

It's really tempting. Our original plan was to include Kennywood into the trip. To be honest, I'm looking forward to the quirkiness of KW more than any other park. That said, I didn't want to burn us out of one park after another. We plan on taking a trip to KW later in the year. Either later in the summer or something in the fall. We'll see if plans change later on, but for now it's a no-go.

After looking at Phil's old TR, I think the Scooters and Chair lift are also mandatory. Maybe the carousel, but it's not priority, brass rings or not. Flyers don't do much for me and it's a little too much spinning for my tastes. My main concerns are Phoenix, Twister (x1), and Flying Turns. If I don't get to do Impulse, I won't be upset. Our main priority is not running around in a hurry.

How are crowds on Sundays?

FWIW, prior to my visit to the park, I thought carousels were boring and stupid. I rode it begrudgingly, only because of the feedback from others, and I ended up riding it about six times during my visit. The brass rings are addicting, and if you and Emily are competitive people, you'll want the bragging rights. I recommend at least one ride.

Our main priority is not running around in a hurry.

That's what Knoebels does best!

Your plan sounds good. The chairlift is something special, goes up the mountain and has great views of the Appalachians. It's beautiful. But yeah, walking around, taking your time, enjoying the place--that's what it's about. Stop in the museums for a bit, and make sure you also ride Black Diamond, the dark ride/coaster hybrid in the back corner of the park. It's weird and very fun.

After looking at Phil's old TR, I think the Scooters and Chair lift are also mandatory. Maybe the carousel, but it's not priority, brass ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings or not. Flyers don't do much for me and it's a little too much spinning for my tastes. My main concerns are Phoenix, Twister (x1), and Flying Turns. If I don't get to do Impulse, I won't be upset. Our main priority is not running around in a hurry.

How are crowds on Sundays?

I would add to your "MUST DO TO EXPERIENCE KNOEBEL'S" -- play at least 1 game of Fascination.

(and the Cheese on a Stick, the Perogies, and a shake from the Old Mill are my food must do's)

Our main priority is not running around in a hurry.

That's what Knoebels does best!

Your plan sounds good. The chairlift is something special, goes up the mountain and has great views of the Appalachians. It's beautiful. But yeah, walking around, taking your time, enjoying the place--that's what it's about. Stop in the museums for a bit, and make sure you also ride Black Diamond, the dark ride/coaster hybrid in the back corner of the park. It's weird and very fun.

and just behind it is the Bald Eagle enclosure. . you can listen to a talk about them and watch them feed them.

Yeah, I went for that talk, because animal exhibits are irresistible, and the whole talk was basically "There are some eagles over there. Any questions?"

LOL> . . yeah, but at the end of the day, Bald Eagles!

Yeah, eagles are always cool. Just wish the keepers, you know, knew something about them.

the person there on the day we were there gave us a lot of interesting information.

maybe you just caught a fill in trainer?

I think 8 hours should be plenty for what you wanna do at Knoebels. I'd highly recommend riding Twister at night if you can, not sure if the park is open past sunset or not. But it was running like a bat out of hell this past October and night rides were at the same level as Pheonix in my opinion. Also do the drop tower if you're into those, it's completely insane. Only downside is it'll make the ones at Hershey later in the week feel like a Frog Hopper.

Also just wanna make sure you know there's a free shuttle between the Hershey Lodge and the park. You might've already known that but figure it could come in handy if you were gonna be drinking all afternoon at the park.

FWIW, prior to my visit to the park, I thought carousels were boring and stupid. I rode it begrudgingly, only because of the feedback from others, and I ended up riding it about six times during my visit. The brass ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings are addicting

A brass ring carousel is basically a carousel thrill ride. Which, yes, sounds like an oxymoron/not possible (unless you've ridden the Rye Playland Derby Racer or a randomly super-fast regular carousel). Even if I miss the brass ring I still feel nervous with anticipation trying to grab as many steel ones as I can manage.

^That's great to know. I'm hoping summer vacations won't be in full swing the first few days of June.

Well Bert... you did it. I mentioned to Emily that maybe we should also hit KW while in Pittsburgh as opposed to later in the summer. She's all for it.

^That's great to know. I'm hoping summer vacations won't be in full swing the first few days of June.

Well Bert... you did it. I mentioned to Emily that maybe we should also hit KW while in Pittsburgh as opposed to later in the summer. She's all for it.

glad to hear it. .

if you stay for more than a few hours, also hit up Exterminator, the Whip (and most everything in "old Kennywood") plus Noah's Ark . . Ghostwood Estates, turtle (if you've never been on this classic. . it's a great break in the day and a throwback ride), and of course, re-rides on JackRabbit. .that double down is amazing.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Emily thinks she can take a half day on Friday. We'll either drive the 9 and a half hours to Pittsburgh, or stay in Columbus (7hrs) and drive the rest of the way (2.5 hrs) the next day. That should give us a full day at KW, which is my most anticipated park this summer. Their old wooden coasters look amazing and Phantom's Revenge is my most anticipated coaster this summer. I guess doing it this way will save us two full days of driving later in the summer.

Everything seems to be working out pretty well. Now, I'm just waiting for that significant life event to cancel this particular trip, as it has the past two summers in a row.