TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

I can't wait to visit Knoebels Park during my Cedar Point trip in July.

You mean...you can't wait to visit Cedar Point during your Knoebels trip in July?

I can't wait to visit both Cedar Point and Knoebels in July. When I'm doing my Cedar Point trip for two weeks in July I'm also planning to visit: Knoebels, Dutchwonderland Amusement Park, Kennywood, Hershey, Dorney, LAKEMONT, Waldameer Park, Conneaut Lake Park, Kings Island and Kentucky Kingdom during my two weeks off. I'm coming from Minneapolis I haven't decided wether I'm going to fly out to Cleveland then drive to Sandusky or just drive out. I have a platinum pass. I'm doing Cedar Point and Kings Island in one week second week I'm doing the Pennsalvania trip. I'm really looking foward to Knoebels.

Edited by Lightning Rod

I can't wait to visit both Cedar Point and Knoebels in July. When I'm doing my Cedar Point trip for two weeks in July I'm also planning to visit: Knoebels, Dutchwonderland Amusement Park, Kennywood, Hershey, Dorney, LAKEMONT, Waldameer Park, Conneaut Lake Park, Kings Island and Kentucky Kingdom during my two weeks off. I'm coming from Minneapolis I haven't decided wether I'm going to fly out to Cleveland then drive to Sandusky or just drive out. I have a platinum pass. I'm doing Cedar Point and Kings Island in one week second week I'm doing the Pennsalvania trip. I'm really looking foward to Knoebels.

I took this same trip plus a few more parks last year.

One suggestion... add Delgrosso's Amusement Park to your trip if you can squeeze in an hour or two! It is maybe 20 minutes away from Lakemont and even though it only has a wild mouse, it is a great beautiful park with some good flats and awesome pasta and pizza sauce! Lakemont never has any crowds and won't take long so it's easy to do unless you are pressed for time at Lakemont already. Also, I would consider Idlewild but that is harder just because it is much more expensive and not good for a quick pit stop.

I did Lakemont (on free day too!), followed by Delgrosso's ($5), followed by more Lakemont, followed by about 5 hours at Kennywood so it can be done. It was a slightly fast paced day but not nearly as much as one might think.

Also, traveling west from Harrisburg or whenever you are heading to/from Hershey, you can pass by Williams Grove Amusement Park and pay your respects to their classic 1933 woodie that is sitting there rotting if you have any interest in doing so.

^ Agreed. Leap the Dips and Skyliner are both a lot of fun but aside from that Lakemont is horrible. DelGrossos is a very nice little park and is much busier than Lakemont (for a reason) though all they have in the coaster department is a spinning mouse.

^ Agreed. Leap the Dips and Skyliner are both a lot of fun but aside from that Lakemont is horrible. DelGrossos is a very nice little park and is much busier than Lakemont (for a reason) though all they have in the coaster department is a spinning mouse.

The parks are in very different situations so I try not to compare them, but Delgrosso's is definitely a very clean and active park. I would love to see them get something like Wooden Warrior.

I do love Lakemont though for the rides you mentioned as well as their Toboggan coaster (everyone hates these but its a rare classic and I really enjoyed it) and sky diver flat.

It was crazy how dead Lakemont was on "free day" while Delgrossos was charging and packed. I believe Lakemont is heavily funded by the government for Leap the Dips and because of the public activities on their property. I don't know the details but I'm thankful they are funded/tax exempt and wish Conneaut would see the same kinds of support.

I've said this before, but Phoenix, Twister and Impulse are a near-perfect trifecta of roller coasters. Classic wooden, modern wooden, modern steel; Airtime, laterals, positives; front, middle, rear of the park.

I love Twister to death but it is squarely a classic woodie (recreation). All they need is a Gravity Group terrain woodie with a couple 90 degree banks and maybe a barrel roll, THEN they'll be perfect!

Anyone know if Flying Turns shuts down during rain? I know the park is pretty lax on the other rides but not sure about FT or even Impulse for that matter.

They have a pretty tight "ride time" range that they require Flying Turns to stay within to run. For any reason - weather, time of day, etc - if it's going through the circuit too fast or too slow they won't open it.

Anyone know if Flying Turns shuts down during rain? I know the park is pretty lax on the other rides but not sure about FT or even Impulse for that matter.

Thanks for the help in advance

What day are you going to the park? If the weather is iffy I'd ride that first thing just to be safe.

I was also thinking of stopping by Williams Grove. Are there easy ways to get in without tress passing? Are you tress passing if you want to see the park I'm only planning to walk through the park take some photos of the Cyclone then leave not planning to be more then a hour or so.

I was also thinking of stopping by Williams Grove. Are there easy ways to get in without tress passing? Are you tress passing if you want to see the park I'm only planning to walk through the park take some photos of the Cyclone then leave not planning to be more then a hour or so.

You can contact the owners of the park (they also own the Williams Grove Speedway across the street I believe) and they may allow you access. If not, you can get a really good view of the lift hill and first drop of Cyclone from across the creek at the corner of Park Pl. and Millers Rd. There is a small business on that corner like a mechanics shop or something. I am not sure if they are operating but that may prevent you slightly if they are open. I visited the park at night last summer and it was really sad and eerie seeing Cyclone there rotting away. I wish the park was still open.

The park is heavily surrounded on almost all sides by Yellow Breeches Creek so it is very hard to access the park without using the small bridge directly across from the speedway entrance. It isn't an easy park to sneak into casually and you could easily get charged for trespassing as I believe it has been an issue there in the past. Too bad the flea market no longer runs in the park or that would be an easy way in.

• 2 weeks later...

There's been some talk about rain in this sub lately, so now might be a good time to ask...

I'm planning to hit Knoebels this Sunday with some friends..Current weather channel prediction is 70% chance of rain, showers on and off throughout the day and possible thunder. What rides does Knoebels keep running DURING the rain? What rides (besides Flying Turns, which has been mentioned) ALWAYS close during rain? Has anybody gone during a rainy day and had a good experience? Is it worth buying a ride-all-day pass with this kind of a weather?

We've been planning this trip for a while - We want to go rain or shine (if it's worth it!)

Pretty glad we decided to make our way out to K today. Had a fantastic day, only waits we had were like 10 minutes for Phoenix... Because it broke down while we were in line, and 15 minutes for Impulse.... Because it broke down while we were in line.

We had a very complete day, managing to get on all the flats we wanted to (which is a first for me at Knoebels, we usually run out of time) including, but not limited to: Power Surge, Flyers, Satellite, Cosmotron, and the Skooters. We even had time to work in a few games of Fascination. We also were able to get some of the best flyers rides I've ever had on those flyers. The operators weren't cutting cycles for people snapping, so we went a bit nuts. One operator did tell us to calm down, but after a few cycles of us just kinda casually bouncing them instead of violently snapping it, he gave us a full cycle where all three of us were just going at it. It was incredible! After I thanked him for an amazing ride, he told me "Yeah, I'm known to give out good ones if everybody seems like they know what they're doing." As we were the only three people on the cycle (It was about 10 minutes to close) he gave us a good one

All in all, a very complete day, and I'm going to say it again (as if it needs to be said) If you have the opportunity to go to Knoebels, take it. Regardless if you've been zero times or 200 times. Knoebels never fails to deliver (Except opening day 2016 )

^Even on opening day we had a really great time and were able to get a lot in! And the guy at the Flyers was awesome that day, he didn't cut anyone off and he even gave us a few extra rides after closing. We're probably not as crazy at snapping as you guys are (relative n00bz here) but we got some good snaps out of it!

As if I needed another reason to avoid the normal 'moms' group at school...

One of them comes up to me and says "I heard I should talk to you. I'm taking my family on a big RV Amusement Park trip of Ohio, Pennsylvania, and more this summer."

Me: Oh great! That's awesome, where are you going?

School Mom: Kings Island, Cedar Point, Dorney, Hershey, maybe SFGAd...

Me: Sounds fun, what about adding Knoebels in there? Have you been there before? Do you know about it? You should definitely go!

School Mom: Oh yeah, I grew up in the area but we don't need to go there. My boys like thrill rides and that park is kind of old.

Me: No, it's really a great park, they have coasters that are rated the best in the world and even have a new one that goes upside-down and has a crazy drop, you really should go.

School Mom: Nah, I don't really need to go back.

Me: <>