TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

Yep. Full on "arms out, legs spread" metal detector wanding. No loose articles whatsoever (tho they let me ride with sunglasses w/o a strap on a ride in 2014, after they wanded me, go figure).

It's only on the SLC, I'm guessing because a few parts of it are over the midway and the rest is over the waterpark. I'd hate to be riding a waterslide and get my head smashed in by someones cell phone falling out of the coaster above me. They do have "free" lockers right next to the entrance to the coaster, but you have to use a CC to access them, as there is a half hour time limit and then they charge you. Not sure how much, Ive never used them.

You will get tons of opinions on the food not to miss, for me the one item I never skip is the Fried Cheese on a Stick at Totem Treats.

Mmm . . . fried pepper jack cheese on a stick . . .

yep.. AMAZING. . and well worth dealing with the huge crowds to get to it (the stand is near the bandstand in the kiddie section. . so lots of strollers over there.. but worth the trek)

I probably know the answer already but is Knoebels truly worth a 3.5+ drive from the New Jersey shore for a couple in their 20s? We haven't really been to a park like this before but have had fun everywhere else we've gone. This is last park other than Luna Park in Coney that's within a days drive and no hotel for us. We are thinking of going Friday and doing all the coasters probably minus Kosmo's Kurves. We will be doing Black Diamond, the Haunted House and probably the train. Any other must do's? We were going to eat at the International Food court but any food items not to miss?

Other must do ride: Skooters (Bumper Cars), Downdraft, Stratofear, Flyers, Looper, Cosmotron, Carousel you have probably not experienced any of these rides before and if you have not in the form they run them at Knoebels.

Set aside an hour in your day to sit and play Fascination.

(it wont be enough, as time flies in that place). . it's an experience you can rarely find at parks nowadays, and not only is it fun, but you can win some nice little prizes to take home

(he says as he looks at the Geode nightlight we won last year there).

(oh, and the train out into the woods is a MUST do.. try to time it in the evening, as the deer will be out eating from the feeders off the tracks)

(oh, and the train out into the woods is a MUST do.. try to time it in the evening, as the deer will be out eating from the feeders off the tracks)

My wife hates coasters, but Loves (with a capital L) trains. I'll have to drag her on this then, though I'm sure it'll be the other way around.

Edit: yup.

971225764_ScreenShot2015-07-28at11_59_16AM.png.b53951ce9654083a467645a14a7ccfef.png

I've been monitoring Impulse since I started planning my Knoebels day a few weeks ago. This is all accoring to their site so no idea how accurate it is but It was down for about a week solid but this Monday it said open for a few hours, down once when I checked around lunch, back up at dinner. All 3 times I checked today it said open-hoping it says open on Friday

I grew up at traditional New Jersey boardwalks with traditional flat rides (Jenkinson's in Pt Pleasant is blocks from what was "home", but spent lots of time at Seaside, Wildwood and Ocean City). I enjoy flat rides but recently time constraints haven't truly allowed me to enjoy them other than at Great Adventure, which has mediocre flat rides to say the least. While at Dorney, Hershey, Kings Dominion, BG Williamsburg, and even Morey's I had a list of things that had to get done during the parks operating hours and for me usually, flat rides don't make the list. With that said, my boyfriend and I are the type to skip a kiddie coaster or duplicate coaster (Vekoma Boomerang, etc) to see a show, ride a dark ride, or just walk around and take photos.

So I feel like Knoebels will work for us, I'm just concerned about disappointment. I'm a big preplanner when going to parks, I have a plan of attack for how to approach the day. For Knoebels I'm trying to figure out how to let myself just walk around and enjoy it without blowing through all my must do's by 1 o clock. I did that at Dorney and we ended up having a fun unplanned afternoon at the waterpark.

I know this is probably a TPR no-no at Knoebels but I wasn't planning on getting the unlimited wristband. for what we want to do and how long we plan on being there I didn't think it was worth the price. My boyfriend wants to get the $40 worth of tickets for $36 but I think I may pick up an extra $20 book so we can reride and pick up some flat rides.

The website says that Impulse is open. Maybe just a quick maintenance.

It definitely wasn't quick. It was down when I went to the park, sadly, and that was a day after the blurb on social media.

I know this is probably a TPR no-no at Knoebels but I wasn't planning on getting the unlimited wristband. for what we want to do and how long we plan on being there I didn't think it was worth the price. My boyfriend wants to get the $40 worth of tickets for $36 but I think I may pick up an extra $20 book so we can reride and pick up some flat rides.

No problem with this approach especially if you want to explore the park at a leisurely pace your first time. The tickets are actually a good deal if you don't plan to marathon ride.

No problem with this approach especially if you want to explore the park at a leisurely pace your first time. The tickets are actually a good deal if you don't plan to marathon ride.

I agree with Larry here, you should only purchase the pay-one-price plan if you expect to re-ride a lot, and you're hanging around from opening to closing. Early in the season they do a buy-one-get-one-free deal and that's when it's always worth it. But, you can take one spin on all four of the major coasters and have plenty of tickets left over for other rides by purchasing a $20 book. Based on what you've described it sounds like your estimation of buying three books total for the two of you looks to be right on point.

Don't even have a battle plan. Just explore, seriously. If you must have a battle plan, upon entering the park from the parking lot, take a ride on Impulse, and then it's a nearly straight shot to (clockwise) Twister, Stratosfear, Wipeout, Fandango, Gasoline Alley, Phoenix, Flying Turns, Looper, and Flyer.

Yeah personally I've never gotten the wristband when I went to Knoebels and I don't think I've ever spent enough in tickets to justify it.

If I remember correctly, you can swing by a Weis market in the region surrounding the park and get $20 books for $16, which means that for the $46 rides+coasters wristband to be a good deal you would need to spend like $57 of face-value tickets in a day -- unless you want to marathon the coasters, I don't think you'll hit that ceiling.

Also I think $30 in tickets a piece is the way to go, you can always buy more and save any extras you're left with, they'll still be good when you fall in love with Knoebels and decide to come back next year ! Have fun!

It's all about what you like! I always get the wristband at Knoebels. I usually go during Phoenix Phall Phunfest and spend Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the park. When it's time to go, I never feel satiated! Knoebels can do that to a park fan! There is so much great, classic and unique stuff to do. I can ride the Spiral Slide over and over, it really is that much fun! Not to mention rides and re-rides on the awesome skyride, long train, carousel, etc. etc. etc.

During a summer trip a few years back, a friend and I decided to skip a 2nd day at Knoebels in favor of an afternoon at Dorney (she needed the credits) and an evening "preview night" at Hersheypark. We both regretted not spending that 2nd day at Knoebels.

If you're more into "big box" parks like Cedar Point and Six Flags, you might be fine getting tickets and getting the "credits." But if you like more mom & pop, classic and unique stuff, the wrist band is the way to go. Like most any park, Knoebels really comes alive when the sun comes down! Not to mention all the great food there! Knoebels grows on you; with each visit, it seems to get better!

I can't see myself going without buying a wristband. Just the way my mind works, if I just had tickets, I'd spend too much time agonizing over how many tickets I had left, if I'd had enough, if that ride was really worth it...

Even if it's not financially the better choice, I'd rather buy the all day pass, and ride whatever I want without having to give any thought to how many I have left in the day.

unless you want to marathon the coasters

or marathon the bumper cars and flyers

This... Stratosfear is a good one too. Rarely a long wait, ridiculous drop and every ride would cost $2 with tickets. That wristband pays for itself quick.

I have a question about Stratosfear. I made my first trip to Knoebels a few weeks ago, but I was not able to stay long at all and only got on a few of the major things (not including Stratosfear).

What makes people rave about it so much? Does it have some sort of special feature that makes it more intense, or is it something that I'm missing?

I don't know how to describe it... the fact that it doesn't stop at the top so you're not 100% sure when you're at the top is a really cool feature. The thing that really makes it great though is that the drop itself is incredibly powerful compared to other drop towers and it really doesn't slow down until you're so close to the ground that you're convinced you're going to die. It stops on a dime and somehow does it comfortably.

I would be willing to say that it's probably my second favorite drop tower (after Demon Drop of course).

I'll say this though... the ride is always good, but don't judge Stratosfear on any ride where there are a decent amounf of empty seats. It's a much better ride with a full ride vehicle.

^I'll definitely have to hit it next time. I used to be a big fan of S&S towers, but now I feel like I have gotten used to them by now. It's like I know exactly when they launch/drop and I have become a bit immune to their forces.

I like the idea of dropping while the car is still moving so you have no idea to brace yourself.

I can't see myself going without buying a wristband. Just the way my mind works, if I just had tickets, I'd spend too much time agonizing over how many tickets I had left, if I'd had enough, if that ride was really worth it...

Even if it's not financially the better choice, I'd rather buy the all day pass, and ride whatever I want without having to give any thought to how many I have left in the day.

I'm at the park now and this perfectly depicts my thoughts about the wrist band. Plus I'm pretty sure that I have already ridden over $46 worth of rides and still have 3 1/2 hours to go. I just didn't want the question of "worth" prevent me from riding something. For example, I've ridden the carousel 4 times and have loved every ride (I got the brass ring on my second ride!!!!), but if I was laying by ride, there would be no way I would have ridden it that much.

I have a question about Stratosfear. I made my first trip to Knoebels a few weeks ago, but I was not able to stay long at all and only got on a few of the major things (not including Stratosfear).

What makes people rave about it so much? Does it have some sort of special feature that makes it more intense, or is it something that I'm missing?

I haven't ridden every drop tower out there but the general consensus seems to be that there are only two types that offer you a true sensation of free fall, Intamin first gens, and Larson/ARM towers like Stratosfear. As to what makes it so frightening, my guess is it's the suddenness of the acceleration, which perfectly mimics true free fall, because it is. Your inner ear is very smart and knows EXACTLY what the rate of acceleration due to gravity feels like. That specific rate of acceleration is what flicks your brain into "panic" mode, because back when we were all sleeping in trees, that specific sensation was what meant you're about to splat on the ground. So if there's any drag on the car at all during those initial milliseconds of free fall like there is on most drop towers, or if you're yanked down faster than the speed of gravity like on Tower of Terror, your brain doesn't flick into "danger" mode because it doesn't feel "real". Larson/ARM towers feel real, and you continue accelerating exactly in accordance with gravity right up until you hit the brakes. On any other tower the drop is never as bad as the anticipation, on Stratosfear it's every bit as bad, if not worse.

• 2 weeks later...