TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

I was thinking of doing the Ride All-Day pass instead of paying per ride since I'll be staying there all day and camping at night, so even if I don't spend $46 in ride tickets, it's such a great value that I wouldn't feel like I wasted any money. Plus I don't want to worry about limiting my ride count to fit a budget.

That's exactly what I did. I think I ended up spending like $10 more than I would have if I used tickets, but it was still so worth it. Not having to worry about losing tickets or buying more throughout the day was so nice. When I go back this summer I'm going to get a wristband again.

The wrist band more than pays for itself at the end of the night for multiple rerides in Phoenix. Being able to jump off the coaster and run right back on at the end of the night is fantastic. Although the park closed at 10 pm, Phoenix kept the line open until 10:20 for those with armbands, when I was there. Not to forget to mention that the last 2 rides out of the night were EPIC ! When the train hit the lift, all the running lights were shut off, letting the trains run in total darkness. Something not to be missed and something I wont ever forget. Best ride ever !

Night rides on Phoenix sound unforgettable, and that's why I have no problem possibly spending more on a wristband if it means I can keep hopping back in line to reride it! And i'll be camping so I plan on staying as late as possible! So excited!!!

I'm going back to the park in July. What order should I do these rides:

Black Diamond

Flying Turns

Impulse

Kozmos' Kurves

Also I heard Flying Turns and Black Diamond get the longest lines, so I guess if you go early in the morning before crowds come hit flying turns first? That's what I plan on doing

I've never played Fascination so I don't know much about it besides the fact that you roll a ball into holes that light up. Is it really that addictive? I don't want to waste too much time or money playing a game! It looks fun though and maybe I'll play a round just to experience it.

I don't really like carnival games, but I love Fascination. If you've never played it, add it to your must do list for Knoebels. You illuminate squares on a five by five grid by rolling a ball up a ramp and into the holes. To win, illuminate five in a row (just like bingo) or, in special coverall games, illuminate every square. The game is also relatively cheap (I believe $0.50 per play at Knoebels...$10 of tokens lasted me about a half-hour, which was good enough).

In regards to wristband vs. tickets, if you have two days I'd buy a wristband the first day and then buy tickets the second, as you'll likely have a good idea of what you want to ride and might not get your money's worth with a wristband the second day. Also note that Haunted Mansion is an upcharge even with a wristband.

I'm going back to the park in July. What order should I do these rides:

Black Diamond

Flying Turns

Impulse

Kozmos' Kurves

I'd probably go Flying Turns, Impulse, Black Diamond, Kozmo's Kurves. When I visited last year, I rode Flying Turns before opening due to ERT, but it looked like the line got long for it quickly. Black Diamond was still a walk-on when I got back there about 30 minutes after opening, and Kozmo's Kurves was only a ten minute wait when I rode just before lunch, so those aren't as much of a concern. Impulse is an unknown but the capacity should be higher than Flying Turns so I'd do the latter first.

I'll be camping overnight too! I actually was wondering how close the campsite is to the park, and also how quickly sites sell out? I want to reserve a spot in advance but it says there's a two-night minimum (and I can only stay one night). Also, night rides on Phoenix and Twister are what I'm looking forward to the most!

The campground it one of the largest I have been too. One year I was able to get a site directly next to the twister, and a very short walk to the park. Another year, not so lucky, I literally was the furthest site away from the park (We have a travel trailer) and I am betting it was every bit of a 1/2 - 3/4 mile walk!

They do have trams that run fairly consistently , say every 10 - 15 min if the walk bothers you, I personal enjoyed the walk and seeing everyone's camping setup.

Being right next to the Twister was way awesome, get to hear the park "Wake Up" in the morning, and go to sleep at night. You can even walk around in the early morning while they are doing maintenance on the rides.

The cabins are spread all over the campground, but I don't think any were "very" close to the park.

Be warned the shower houses at the campground are pretty primitive. They have been upgrading them, but don't expect much. They have always been clean when I was there though.

Little side story, when I asked my wife where she wanted to go for our honey moon 11 years ago, she did even hesitate and said "Knoebels" We tent camped, in the campground, because we didn't have a trailer yet. Poured down rain the first night, ALL night. Most people in tents were completely flooded, and had to sleep in their cars. Of luck for me, I happened to put our tent up on the high spot in our campsite. All of the water ran right around us. My wife thought that was planned and I was golden for the rest of our week there, little did she know it was dumb luck. We did spend a week there, but took a few day trips to see other sights, like Centralia (Google it) doesn't sound like you will have enough time on this trip, but on one of your future trips, stop, it is a very strange experience, to me, to others it may not be their cup of tea.

Knoebels also owns Lake Glory campground, and runs shuttles from there also. I personally know nothing about it as I have never been there. Have heard people say it is nicer and more modern than the one at Knoebles, but being able to walk to the park and back to my site any time I want seals the deal for me, especially if I want take a break and grab a Beer!

http://fox43.com/2015/03/26/amusement-park-worker-hit-injured-by-roller-coaster-during-testing/

Knoebels Amusement park worker hit, injured by roller coaster during testing

ELYSBURG, Pa. — A worker at Knoebels Amusement Resort in Pennsylvania was hurt on Thursday when he was struck by a roller coaster during testing for the new attraction.

Knoebels told WNEP the worker was struck by the Impulse roller coaster while crews tested the new attraction.

Officials said the worker was awake and talking when he was taken to a hospital.

The incident apparently happened in an area that is not open to park guests.

Impulse is a new steel tower coaster with over 2,000 feet of track and will reach speeds of 55 miles per hour. The ride is expected to open this summer.

This is unfortunate news. At least the worker is okay, and I hope he recovers soon.

That all sounds delicious I've heard the Alamo is the best sit down restaurant there. Is it more expensive than the rest of the park food? I don't really mind considering how affordable everything else seems to be, I'm just curious to know for budgeting purposes.

Nope. It's not expensive at all, and it is absolutely fantastic. One of my favorite places to eat in any amusement park. http://www.knoebels.com/images/pdf/alamomenu%202014.pdf

It's not expensive at all, and it is absolutely fantastic. One of my favorite places to eat in any amusement park. http://www.knoebels.com/images/pdf/alamomenu%202014.pdf

Yum!

Have heard people say it is nicer and more modern than the one at Knoebles, but being able to walk to the park and back to my site any time I want seals the deal for me, especially if I want take a break and grab a Beer!

That's the idea!

And Centralia sounds really weird so next time I go I might check it out. That story about your wife is funny but got me thinking - I totally didn't account for rain (we plan on tenting up), so hopefully we don't get flooded if it does rain!

In regards to wristband vs. tickets, if you have two days I'd buy a wristband the first day and then buy tickets the second, as you'll likely have a good idea of what you want to ride and might not get your money's worth with a wristband the second day. Also note that Haunted Mansion is an upcharge even with a wristband.

That's exactly what I planned on doing. I only plan on riding the Haunted Mansion 2 or 3 times total so it won't really break the bank either way. Seems like everyone is vouching for Fascination! I'll try it out!

As for the accident this morning, the person seems to be in stable condition, thank God.

That's the idea!

And Centralia sounds really weird so next time I go I might check it out. That story about your wife is funny but got me thinking - I totally didn't account for rain (we plan on tenting up), so hopefully we don't get flooded if it does rain!

Sorry, for some reason thought you were getting a cabin. If you are tent camping, if I recall, most of the tent sites are VERY close to the park. One year I had a site where I thought the twister was coming right through my tent one morning when I slept in and they started testing early in the morning. I actually like the tent sites more than the RV sites, but because my wife has some back problems we can no longer tent, that's the reason we bought the camper.

I don't remember them having these when we were tenting, or maybe I just missed them, but they now have tent platform sites. They have what is basically a wooden deck built off the ground where you pitch your tent, so if it does rain you don't have to worry about the water under you, just the water coming down on you. I always took a few tarps and some rope to build a "tent" over the tent. That saved me on my story above with the down pour.

Also, forgot to mention, the camp store is pretty well stocked with the essentials, if you don't want to pack much.

Another thing worth mentioning is the international food court has a pretty decent breakfast in the mornings, and I think they open pretty early (6:00 maybe) if you are an early riser.

It is tradition for my family that I usually cook breakfast in the morning for everyone, but one morning it was just too easy to take everyone out for breakfast, (Maybe a few too many of those beers???) and we were pleasantly surprised.

With Centralia, from talking to the locals, it changes all the time because of the fire. When we there, there were places we could not walk because of the heat and smoke. The locals said some days you can go anywhere without a problem. I like "exploring" so I thought it was cool. Back when we went (over 10 years ago) there were still a few buildings, I think they are all gone now, except for maybe the church.

I'm sorry, but how the hell do you get hit by it? I mean these are things I just don't understand. Hope he is okay though! Gotta get out to the park this summer
If he was an Engineer for Zierer, I'm not totally surprised it could happen. The Evening Wicked first Opened, Zierer's Engineers were walking under the Brake Run, with trains coming into Reduction, with the Bogies just Inches away from their Heads. I've seen Mondial Engineers get dang close to operating Rides as well.

Sorry, for some reason thought you were getting a cabin. If you are tent camping, if I recall, most of the tent sites are VERY close to the park. One year I had a site where I thought the twister was coming right through my tent one morning when I slept in and they started testing early in the morning.

Sounds like a perfect way to start the day! I'm going to look into the differences between platform sites and regular sites, but it seems like the platform sites are a bit smaller. I'll try putting up a nice tent cover so hopefully it will save me in case of rain. Is the international food court in the park or the campsite? My friends and I will probably just eat at the restaurants (I'm the cook of the group usually but I want to keep things as simple as possible and I don't feel like packing much food). As for Centralia that sounds absolutely bizarre. I love exploring, especially unusual places so I do want to eventually check it out. For now, the park alone should easily take up all of my time.

Ohh and one last thing, (For Now) Chicken and Waffles is kind of a regional thing. One of my favorite dishes, and The Alamo has some of the best.

You guys are making me hungry every time I check this forum! I plan on eating at the Alamo a few times and Chicken and Waffles sounds right up my alley... question is, should I get that for breakfast or lunch?! Also, feel free to post as much as you want about Knoebels recommendations, I love hearing everyone's perspectives and I just want to take this time to thank everyone who commented and offered advice! It means a lot to me

That's unfortunate, hope he recovers soon.

He is currently recovering and it sounds like he's definitely going to be alright! http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2015/03/worker_struck_roller_coaster.html

Sounds like a perfect way to start the day! I'm going to look into the differences between platform sites and regular sites, but it seems like the platform sites are a bit smaller. I'll try putting up a nice tent cover so hopefully it will save me in case of rain. Is the international food court in the park or the campsite?

The platform site may seem a bit smaller, because the platform does take up some real estate. Like I said I haven't tented for quite a few years, so I don't remember much about the sizes. Look at the campground map online, if I remember correctly I used to get RI- 8 10 or 12. They were roomy sites, and on high ground, and an easy walk to the little foot bridge that takes you into the park right near Skloosh if I remember correctly. The TP sites off to the left looked neat, kind on a dead and path, and seemed to have a lot of room, but looked like it could get muddy in a hurry if it rained. Maybe they took care of that by now though.

The International Food Court is in the park, not a far walk from the campground though. During the day they have Alligator Bits, which are supposed to be real alligator meat, breaded and deep fried. My daughter loves them, I "like" them, but I am not much of seafood eater. Just thought it was odd that Knoebels was selling alligator. I ate some just so I could say that I ate alligator. Also, my wife loves the tacos at the same food court. I think they are good, but nothing I would write home about. I guess we all have our own tastes.

You guys are making me hungry every time I check this forum! I plan on eating at the Alamo a few times and Chicken and Waffles sounds right up my alley... question is, should I get that for breakfast or lunch?!

The Chicken and Waffles I would think are more of a lunch/dinner meal. Think of thick creamy chicken noodle soup, with no noodles, served over waffles. I am not one for waffles but I like them this way.

Keep your eye out when you are walking around, after 15 years I am still finding stuff I never saw before, little things, but neat none the less.

It's really interesting, there are lots of little G-force "kicks" along the layout of the coaster. No offense to Gerstlauer, but this is much more interesting than a standard Euro-Fighter, which would have likely fit in the same footprint.

It looks pretty awesome for a solid compact addition! As AJ mentioned it seems to have moments of potentially good forces. Especially it appears to take the bottom of the loop pretty intensely. Should be exciting to hear reviews of this once it opens.