TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

If Knoebels is Smart, they'll build an Enclosed Maintenance Track like Lagoon first did with Wicked and then BomBora, and Cannibal, where they can do all required winter maintenance and routine maintenance in one place. Hopefully they will build a dual loading station like Wicked's and have an Extra Train as well. I always though Wicked could have used a Cobra Roll in place of the Immelmann Turn, but oh well.

Nerd question: what are the E shaped parts with green components inside for?

The grey layer on top of the right side's part must be the magnet for silent anti-rollback and the chain is close to the right rail. Could those be sensors? Also there seems to be more than one chains as there are gears for different chain sizes.

Those aren't sensors. Or at least not ones made by Allen Bradley or Siemens. I believe those are for the smaller chains. It's pretty clear in this picture of the top of the hill. And it looks like there's two channels running parallel, but I'm not sure what purpose they serve. And there can't be anything connected between the two because of how the top sprocket is connected.

Nerd question: what are the E shaped parts with green components inside for?

The grey layer on top of the right side's part must be the magnet for silent anti-rollback and the chain is close to the right rail. Could those be sensors? Also there seems to be more than one chains as there are gears for different chain sizes.

Those aren't sensors. Or at least not ones made by Allen Bradley or Siemens. I believe those are for the smaller chains. It's pretty clear in this picture of the top of the hill. And it looks like there's two channels running parallel, but I'm not sure what purpose they serve. And there can't be anything connected between the two because of how the top sprocket is connected.

Thanks for pointing that out. I guess those two chains are for movable maintenance/evacuation platform. If the chains for the car snapped, those two chains can still work so that's why desperate chains are needed.

Does it make sense?

I still wish that Knoebels had gone with a more unique ride for their first steel coaster but at the end of the day, it is at Knoebels, one of the best little parks in the US, so it can't be that bad! Just one more reason to go back!

As a local, I'm just glad we have an adult steel coaster that isn't Whirlwind.

If Knoebels is Smart, they'll build an Enclosed Maintenance Track like Lagoon first did with Wicked and then BomBora, and Cannibal, where they can do all required winter maintenance and routine maintenance in one place.

Over the years the park has certainly proved itself to be maintenance savvy. Even this isn't currently being done, I'm sure they considered it.

On the lift, the black bar near the center (the one that looks like an E) is the system that provides a magnetic current that keeps the anti-roll back up. On the test car there are two small wheels that roll on it and at normal lift speed, it will keep it raised. If it moves slower than that, it will lower, catch on the teeth going up the tower and make a sound similar to normal coasters and prevent it from moving back.

To evacuate, it wouldn't shock me if there is a second back up motor to be used for emergencies (there is what looks to be one attached under the track near the base). I'm not too worried about it as there almost always is usually a back-up system when it comes to rides that have difficult evacuating points to them, such as how sky rides usually have a back-up power source.

I think it's an optical illusion, I believe it's vertical but because of the twist that's happening it appears as if it is beyond vertical.

That's it, those two pictures are showing it well:

11035317_10155222398560551_6594656910152396558_n.jpg

thumb_dsc01774_2.jpg

The drop is indeed intended to be vertical, as you can see with the left rail. But that left rail is also the pivot point of the slight rotation (like Arrow did their transitions back then). That means the right rail is actually... past vertical.

Left rail vertical, right rail past vertical... Mind blown!

--

The other 4 manufacturers that have built a vertical lift system all have a different system.

By the way, what happens if you get stuck in a Chance Toboggan vertical lift?! You're stuck in here forever because there's no backup (is there?) and furthermore the tube prevents the cage to open! Dang that's a scary though.

Edited by KingRCT3

By the way, what hapen if you get stuck in a Chance Toboggan vertical lift?! You're stuck in here forever because there's no backup (is there?) and furthermore the tube prevents the cage to open! Dang that's a scary though.

I know, right? I've thought about that too and I don't know how it's done.

By the way, what hapen if you get stuck in a Chance Toboggan vertical lift?! You're stuck in here forever because there's no backup (is there?) and furthermore the tube prevents the cage to open! Dang that's a scary though.

I know, right? I've thought about that too and I don't know how it's done.

The car is very light, operators can push it up click by click.