TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

There will (probably) be a report to follow but I have to say it: after riding it for the first time today Phoenix is unlike anything I've experienced anywhere else. This ride is a true gem. I hope nothing ever happens to it. Phoenix will always have a position high on my list of rides that I will always go out of my way to ride.

Phoenix was one of my favorite coasters but it seemed oddly neutered when I was there in July. Admittedly I hadn't ridden it in 10-12 years but either there were some trims turned up or there's been some wear in the turnarounds so speed is lost due to the lateral forces.

Conversely, when I rode Twister shortly after it opened (early 2000s), I was not at all impressed. The ride looked really cool, but it just didn't deliver. After the rework this off season, it's an AWESOME ride now. Much much much improved, better than it was in the first year of operation.

I rode Phoenix in july and all I can say is that if it was neutered, wow,what kind of crazyness did it once have? Because it was running nutsoid when I was there, especially at night . As far as Twister goes, my first ride was in the last row and , dare I say, I did not really enjoy it. However, We got right off and re-rode it in the front and loved it.

Phoenix was one of my favorite coasters but it seemed oddly neutered when I was there in July. Admittedly I hadn't ridden it in 10-12 years but either there were some trims turned up or there's been some wear in the turnarounds so speed is lost due to the lateral forces.

Conversely, when I rode Twister shortly after it opened (early 2000s), I was not at all impressed. The ride looked really cool, but it just didn't deliver. After the rework this off season, it's an AWESOME ride now. Much much much improved, better than it was in the first year of operation.

I agree that Twister was better this year than the last time I rode it. I still think Phoenix is great.

I rode Phoenix in july and all I can say is that if it was neutered, wow,what kind of crazyness did it once have? Because it was running nutsoid when I was there, especially at night . As far as Twister goes, my first ride was in the last row and , dare I say, I did not really enjoy it. However, We got right off and re-rode it in the front and loved it.

The bunny hops into the station were great, but a couple of the features, notably the double up, didn't work at all because the train was moving too slow. That wasn't true 12 or so years ago.

I've had nothing but fantastic rides on Phoenix for years. the double-up is better in the front while the double-down is better in the back.

I've had nothing but fantastic rides on Phoenix for years. the double-up is better in the front while the double-down is better in the back.

Rode it 20 times or so this July and the double-up wasn't nearly as good now as it was in 2001. Not sure why. The double-down was decent.

Phoenix was one of my favorite coasters, easily top three, but it wasn't nearly as good this time around as I was expecting.

Perhaps admittedly faulty memory but I suspect it's just been wearing a little funny -- there's a couple of spots on both upper turnarounds where the train is "hunting" because the track is out of gauge and that didn't happen at all in 2001.

Sorry Knoebels fans, but seriously, Flying Turns is GTA's best new ride of 2014? That should have gone to Banshee or Goliath. Also, technically, it opened last year, so why it's considered new for this year is a bit confusing. I know GTAs aren't centered around thrill rides, but still...

Sorry Knoebels fans, but seriously, Flying Turns is GTA's best new ride of 2014? That should have gone to Banshee or Goliath. Also, technically, it opened last year, so why it's considered new for this year is a bit confusing. I know GTAs aren't centered around thrill rides, but still...

It opened after last year's awards were announced, so it makes since that it was included. However, I agree, the only reason it won was because it was at Knoebels.

Sorry that this is off topic, but I agree...I haven't ridden Flying Turns or any of the other new for 2014 rides, but still I think it should have gone to Harry Potter's Gringott's Bank ride. Hooooow did that not win? Or was it not considered since it basically just opened?

As much as I should be okay with this being a Knoebels fan, I will absolutely agree that Flying Turns shouldn't have gotten that award. It really should have gone to Escape From Gringotts, that ride is an absolute technical marvel.

• 2 weeks later...
My personal pick is the Danville Red Roof Inn. It's about ten minutes away and usually has a good price. My only complaint is that their Wi-fi tends to be troublesome at times.

I have always stayed at the Red Roof as well, never had a problem there at all.