TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

Aw man so excited! Hey I have a question, the barrel roll on this reminds me of the barrel roll that got removed from Maverick in the way that you enter it directly from a left turn/bank, then you flip around going immediately into a right turn/bank, almost like you just changed direction like normal but going underneath the track instead of over it. I love the way that flows. I don't know if I'm explaining this very well but is this more common than I realize? I can't think of any other ride that does it.

^ I'm not saying this is a good reason, but it's to avoid a lawsuit.

Bullshit. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train hits 20-25 seconds consistently every single day (just saw them do it last night) and Disney is probably one of the highest profile parks out there targeted for frivolous lawsuits by guests. There is simply NO EXCUSE for some parks to take as long as they do dispatching a train. It comes down to poor staffing, poor training, and some parks just not giving a crap.

Edited by robbalvey

I attribute the fast dispatches at Knoebels to several things:

* Good team members who actually care about their job (and are often adults, not teenagers)

* Guests who are probably a little more competent than guests in other areas of the country

* NO SEAT BELTS! As someone who works on coasters myself, people simply cannot seem to figure out how to fasten seat belts most of the time, or even realize that they exist. Not needing to check seat belts, show people how to use them, or remind them that they actually do exist and need to be fastened is a huge contributing factor that doesn't seem to get mentioned (in my opinion at least)

I attribute the fast dispatches at Knoebels to several things:

* Guests who are probably a little more competent than guests in other areas of the country

I can't agree with you on this one, I've seen many inept guests at the park.

The only times I remember ever encountering inept patrons at Knoebels have all been at the bumper cars. Sometimes it's been because they didn't speak English, but generally it's kids that are too young to be driving even though they're over the height limit.

I thought the woman doing the bumper cars last week was hilarious. This kid kept going against the traffic of the other cars, which even at Knoebels you aren't supposed to do. And the whole ride she just sat there and said into the mic, "You're going the wrong way." over and over again, but she just said it without any conviction. She sounded like Ben Stein in Ferris Beuler's Day Off. And she never stopped the ride or anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Knoebel's experts!

I am headed up to the park in a few weeks and I was looking for some advice. I know Flying Turns should be my first ride but what else do I need to get out of the way early in the morning? I have heard that the motorboats can have long waits and maybe the antique cars?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Knoebel's experts!

I am headed up to the park in a few weeks and I was looking for some advice. I know Flying Turns should be my first ride but what else do I need to get out of the way early in the morning? I have heard that the motorboats can have long waits and maybe the antique cars?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Antique cars has a long line at times but it moves quickly due to quick dispatches and the fact that each car can fit four adults.

The ones with the longest lines include The Haunted Mansion (but moves quickly), Pioneer Train (also moves quick with the lines) Flying Turns, and Black Diamond. The motor boats kind of have long lines due to having to get people in and out of the boats. Typically I start at the back of the park where the Phoenix and Antique Cars are and work my way to the front.

What type of lines should I expect for Friday, Aug 1?

Usually I duck out of ERT a bit early to get a jump start when the park opens and beat all the crowds, but that may not really be necessary this time I'm thinking.

My recent experience (and I should write a TR and will) is that the Flying Turns had a bit of a line in the AM, but by the mid afternoon, the line was actually a bit shorter. We probably waited 30 minutes first thing in the morning and then later in the day it was more like 20 minutes... once people ride it once, they aren't willing to wait a long time to ride it again.

TPR day at Knoebels was amazing.

I had to get used to the park, very different feel from SF or CF or Hershey...not used to relaxing, and taking my time

It of course doesn't have the same ride selection to offer as bigger parks, but they do have a bunch of fun, (often unique and decently terrifying) flats, and of course their coasters are all good.

Turns was fun (and also my 100th coaster!)Twister was very fun, even the kiddie coaster had some force and good pops of airtime! Phoenix was amazing, definite top 10, perhaps 5. Truly amazing ride.

Operations were amazing, and no doubt they care about the people tons more than SF

Hello all!

I went to Knoebels yesterday and like always it was fun! The park was pretty crowded yesterday, so I wasn't able to get on everything I wanted, but I'm pleased at what I did ride.

So let me start this little trip report by talking about a little coaster we all heard about: Flying Turns. I got in line at 10:30 and when the rides opened at 11:00 the line moved very fast. I think after opening the line took 15 minutes. Many people I saw passing by were discouraged by the sign at the entrance to the ride that said "45 minutes from this point" which is a shame as that is just an approximate time. Also that time didn't apply as being that the ride wasn't opened yet people assumed there was a longer line going through the ride while there wasn't.

Now part off the ride does take time due to only being three people per car and the weighing, but having very good "flight attendants" as they are called and having three trains running kept the lines moving. The ride itself was very smooth and while not the fastest or most extreme it was a nice family coaster with the element of loss of control as there is no track. It is a little strange having two lift hills (three if you consider the one taking you back to the boarding area). Perhaps it would more thrilling if they had only one lift hill making it a continuous ride.

Shame that people are detracted by the line wait as really after a few years the Flying Turns will lose its newness and will have more manageable lines. This happened with the Black Diamond as the lines took an hour and a half upon opening but now take about a half hour. One more thing I also love about Flying Turns is the theme with airport related signs and even a little history lesson about the ride.

I noticed while on the train that Twister got some new wood on the ride, including the one drop. I'm not surprised seeing as this coaster is now 14 years old. The Haunted Mansion got its roof fixed so no light is steaming in and updated their sound effects and even better speakers possibly. This ride though needs an upgrade with improved haunts as many of them are from when it opened.

The Balloon Race was open after needing parts. Powersurge was still down, and the space occupied by a meet and greet area for Kosmo and Dexter. 2001 Naacht is still down with paint stripped off the pendulum part and the figures removed from the ride.

Now to Impulse- I talked to a staff member who said that Impulse will not be going over the road leading to the parking area and will mainly reside where the bumper boats and Boat Tag are. With the few people i see using these rides and their state they are in, I'm glad they are being replaced by something new.

So there you have my mini trip report. I'll be returning later this month to the park where hopefully I'll be able to ride more rides and have more fun.

Talk about small park customer service!

I lost my phone on Twister, someone even saw it fly out, so I figured thing was done for. Didn't even bother going to lost and found, or telling the park. Well there was a call on my home phone today from the park.

The day crew not only found it, they must've found "home" in my directory (since I never even informed the park I lost it) and told me the phone is in perfect condition (somehow!?) and they would mail it to me.

Awesome! Certainly not something I'd expect from the larger parks.

^^ Two things that make riding the rides at parks much easier:

1. Cargo shorts with button pockets, or even better pockets with zippers.

2. A new plastic ziplock bag to put everything in on water rides.

This way you can avoid lockers, avoid leaving your stuff somewhere, and have confidence on any coaster that your stuff won't come flying out.

Went to Knoebels for the first time today with my parents (they hate amusement parks so a big shout out to them for going with me). Knoebels is definitely the best amusement park I have ever been to and now my new favorite amusement park. Going into the day, from what I had read, I expected every ride to be a walk on except for Flying Turns. Everything had about a 15 minute wait, which was ok, just not what I was expecting. I never got to ride FT, I got in the line about 10:45 and I heard someone say that it was over an hour wait, which made me get out of line and I never had a chance to ride it the rest of the day. We rode the motor boats and the bumper cars next. Without a doubt those were the best bumper cars I have ever ridden!!! We then rode the Flyers which almost made my dad have a protein spill. For comparison, last night I rode the flyers at Hershey and they didn't even compare to the flyers at Knoebels. Knoebels flyers are so easy to snap the cables and you get so much air! I rode Phoenix next, no seat belts and lots of airtime makes for a great coaster. My mom and I rode the flume next. She got soaked and then was mad at me because she got wet. I tried explaining the concept of a water ride but, she didn't get it. I rode Black Diamond next. It was fun and made me jump a couple times. We played Fascination for about 30 minutes, which was a good way to pass the time and it was a really fun game too. I then marathoned on Phoenix since they added a second train which reduced the wait considerably. As for the food, it was all really good and Knoebels provided plenty of space for us to eat in. My favorite treat I got was the fried cheese on a stick (the pizza was good too). Dollywood is my home park and I'm not sure why Knoebels and Dollywood are tied for the best food in the golden ticket awards. Knoebels is head and shoulders above Dollywood because of the price of food the food and the quality. Overall it was a really good visit to Knoebels and I hope that I can return someday.

^^ Two things that make riding the rides at parks much easier:

1. Cargo shorts with button pockets, or even better pockets with zippers.

2. A new plastic ziplock bag to put everything in on water rides.

This way you can avoid fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo, avoid leaving your stuff somewhere, and have confidence on any coaster that your stuff won't come flying out.

I always go with zippers. I rode Six Flags America's Batwing two years ago with a buttoned pocket and was paranoid my phone would fall out the whole ride.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally took the time to do the bumper boats when I went last Saturday. Worst ride all day, the line took soooooo long, and the boats were almost impossible to steer and belched exhaust in my face. And the water looked like I was back at the Coney Island beach. I will not miss this ride at all.