TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

Saying you rode the flyers at Hershey so you didn't bother with the ones at Knoebels is like saying you rode Rolling Thunder so you didn't bother with El Toro.

After ride Flying Scooters at Cedar Point this year, now I have a high respect for them and enjoy them. Not everything has to be fast or tall in order to be fun.

I miss knoebles and need to go back remember a bolt been removed on the flyers so they went crazy high in 2001 then put back for the public ride lol.

Stu K

ps thanks for tip on comfort inn.

Saying you rode the flyers at Hershey so you didn't bother with the ones at Knoebels is like saying you rode Rolling Thunder so you didn't bother with El Toro.

That's actually not true for me simply because I really don't care about riding flyers at Hershey or Knoebels. Coasters, on the other hand . . .

You should give these a chance. If you know how to fly them they can be much more intense and terrifying than any coaster can. Trust me on that. The Hershey flyers are totally different than these because these are faster, the rudder in the front is made out of a similar material to a sailboat so it catches the wind really easily and you have a much wider range of motion so you can make them do things that are just completely nuts.

ps thanks for tip on comfort inn.

very welcome

the location left a bit to be desired -- it IS afterall in the parking lot of a strip center with a Lowe's and a Wal*mart. . but the hotel itself was quite pleasant (and the Wal*mart made for an easy "stock up" stop before we headed to the next city).

we couldn't bring ourselves to try "Gormet Buffet" located in the strip center.. . LOL. . if they are going to put "Gourmet" in the name of the place? I don't trust it!

You should give these a chance. If you know how to fly them they can be much more intense and terrifying than any coaster can. Trust me on that. The Hershey flyers are totally different than these because these are faster, the rudder in the front is made out of a similar material to a sailboat so it catches the wind really easily and you have a much wider range of motion so you can make them do things that are just completely nuts.

This, the bumper cars and the carousel deserve to be ridden despite their clones being crap in other parks. Knoebels runs these at a whole different level that you won't understand the hype for until you ride it. I made the same mistake of skipping the Flyers my first visit. Rode it my last visit and found it to be one of the best rides in the park.

I didn’t quite feel the love for this park in the way that others on this board seem to. It struck me as somewhere between sketchy carnival and flea market with a few rides scattered around.

And this is the problem when things get over-hyped. I love Knoebels but people talk about it like it's Disneyland and I think they're setting a lot of people like yourself up for disappointment. The two bigger coasters and the haunted mansion are really the things that stand out the most, and those things are what you loved. If that's all you'd expected, you would've come away feeling happy and like you got your money's worth (I mean come on, you got into the park for free). Instead people overhype everything and you come away feeling disappointed, and there's really no reason for it. Are the bumper cars really that much better than every other bumper cars in the world? No. Is the carousel just a normal carousel with the addition of a beautiful band organ and the brass ring game? Yes. Are the flyers really that exciting? I don't know, most people (myself included) can't make them do much more than go up and down and up and down.

It's just a small, nicely-run rural amusement park with free admission. I feel like if that's all you'd been expecting you would've enjoyed your visit more, instead of going and feeling like there's something you're not understanding.

EDIT: Ok so you didn't like Twister, nobody's perfect.

Edited by neil009

If you don't get Knoebels at all and you'd prefer a large overpriced corporate park with (usualy) bad food, no unique flats and short, slow ride cycles that's totally fine. Those parks have their advantages to like awesome steel coasters that Knoebels will never have. People like Knoebels because it's a step back in time, it's unique, laid back and every ride they have seems to be run longer and better than it's counterpart at other parks. If that's not your thing then that's totally fine, to each his own but...

Are the bumper cars really that much better than every other bumper cars in the world? No.

Drugs are bad.

If you don't get Knoebels at all and you'd prefer a large overpriced corporate park with (usualy) bad food, no unique flats and short, slow ride cycles that's totally fine. People like Knoebels because it's a step back in time, it's unique, laid back and every ride they have seems to be run longer and better than it's counterpart at other parks. If that's not your thing then that's totally fine, to each his own but...

Are the bumper cars really that much better than every other bumper cars in the world? No.

Drugs are bad.

Knoebels is really all about simple pleasures, but the praise people heap on it is anything but simple. I'm just saying when people talk it up so much I can totally understand why someone traveling a long ways for it might be let down.

Bumper cars is bumper cars is bumper cars. Oh boy, they're going *slightly* faster, now I can bump people *slightly* harder. You would have to be doing drugs while riding them to say they're a can't-miss ride.

Bumper cars is bumper cars is bumper cars.

Hahaha, if you want to get reductionist like that, we can do that comparing Haunted Mansion to one trailer Owen dark rides just the same. Calling the Lusse's and carousel "normal" but with only a couple additions gets me rolling, bro.

Hahaha, if you want to get reductionist like that, we can do that comparing Haunted Mansion to one trailer Owen dark rides just the same. Calling the Lusse's and carousel "normal" but with only a couple additions gets me rolling, bro.

The haunted mansion is a long ride with a large variety of well-maintained uncaged stunts with generally perfect timing. That makes it unique. The bumper cars are a bunch of cars going around in a circle bumping into each other. That makes it pretty much like every other bumper cars.

The haunted mansion is a long ride with a large variety of well-maintained uncaged stunts with generally perfect timing. That makes it unique. The bumper cars are a bunch of cars going around in a circle bumping into each other. That makes it pretty much like every other bumper cars.

There's plenty of uncaged stunt dark rides. Heck, what separates the Old Mill at the Kansas State Fair from Pirates in the Caribbean? The boats are bigger? The robots have more points of articulation? Reductionism is stupid for serious critique when you take it down that far. The Lusse scooters aren't like other bumper cars. They're much heavier and produced much more pronounced bumping. Comparing them to random fiberglass bodied Bertazzons is fine if you flat out ridiculous unless you don't care about bumper cars. Same with serious discussion of the Grand Carousel vs. its peers.

edit: If you're demanding Disneyland and you go to an idealistic version of the traditional American amusement park, of course you're going to be disappointed. It isn't Disneyland. And as much as I love Disneyland, I'm really glad it isn't.

Edited by DirkFunk

I didn’t quite feel the love for this park in the way that others on this board seem to. It struck me as somewhere between sketchy carnival and flea market with a few rides scattered around.

Are you sure that you didn't visit Conneaut Lake instead?

And for those that think that Knoebels' bumper cars or flyers are like those at any other theme/amusement park...you must be on drugs to think that.

I agree that the front area of the park has a distinct carnival feel to it, but in reality it's a big, well-run park with more than 60 rides. Knoebels grows on you as you visit more terrible Six Flags/Cedar Fair parks. They stick to the basics and do them quite well.

There's plenty of uncaged stunt dark rides. Heck, what separates the Old Mill at the Kansas State Fair from Pirates in the Caribbean? The boats are bigger? The robots have more points of articulation? Reductionism is stupid for serious critique when you take it down that far. The Lusse scooters aren't like other bumper cars. They're much heavier and produced much more pronounced bumping. Comparing them to random fiberglass bodied Bertazzons is fine if you flat out ridiculous unless you don't care about bumper cars. Same with serious discussion of the Grand Carousel vs. its peers.

I understand your points but I think I'm being misunderstood. My intention is not serious critique. No I honestly couldn't care less about bumper cars. Maybe others don't care about dark rides and don't understand the hype surrounding the Haunted Mansion, and that's fine. My point was merely that many of these finer details, like the material the bumper cars are made out of, are things that may get lost on slightly less fanatical park-goers, and therefore their reaction to the park might be less superlative than the, shall we say, connoisseurs such as yourself.

Therefor the park gets way overhyped and some people come away vaguely disappointed. That's all.

I see what you're saying but in the case of the bumper cars this isn't a minor thing nobody would notice. The cars are made out of metal with bumpers that are also made out of metal (they're made out of rubber on every other Bumper car) at all so when you hit someone it really feels and sounds like being in a car accident and sparks fly everywhere.

Watch this if you don't believe me... watch it all the way to the end. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjFyGDTemUg

My point was merely that many of these finer details, like the material the bumper cars are made out of, are things that may get lost on slightly less fanatical park-goers, and therefore their reaction to the park might be less superlative than the, shall we say, connoisseurs such as yourself.

Therefor the park gets way overhyped and some people come away vaguely disappointed. That's all.

Anyone who is reading this and has interest in Knoebels probably understands what they're going to. It isn't Disneyland. It isn't Islands of Adventure. If you don't live in Central PA, you go to Knoebels because it is the best existing traditional amusement park, even if it's really a recreation of such a park more than anything. If you're going expecting something appreciably different than that?

I agree that the front area of the park has a distinct carnival feel to it, but in reality it's a big, well-run park with more than 60 rides. Knoebels grows on you as you visit more terrible Six Flags/Cedar Fair parks. They stick to the basics and do them quite well.

That's EXACTLY what I said in my trip report.

but the moment we crossed the creek behind the Old Mill, and came out near the Haunted House.

fell in love with the park.

I'd go back to Knoebel's tomorrow if I could.

seriously, other than the one misfire with the Taco Pizza (blegh). . .

the *only* thing I saw at Knoebel's that disappointed me was this:

DSC00161.thumb.JPG.5a008f54e0dc4d549db185eba1b7ea14.JPG

Edited by bert425

Knoebels Scooters are the bumper-car equivalent of a 40-car wreck on the interstate. Yes, they are much better than your average bumper-car ride.

bumper-car equivalent of a 40-car wreck on the interstate.

they are much better

40-car wreck

better

Your priorities frighten me, bud, hahaha.

I see what you're saying but in the case of the bumper cars this isn't a minor thing nobody would notice. The cars are made out of metal with bumpers that are also made out of metal (they're made out of rubber on every other Bumper car) at all so when you hit someone it really feels and sounds like being in a car accident and sparks fly everywhere.

Watch this if you don't believe me... watch it all the way to the end. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjFyGDTemUg

I mean I've ridden them, and I've ridden them at a bunch of other places as well, and I can't say I've ever come off them thinking it was an especially exciting or worthwhile experience when compared to the same ride anywhere else. You drive, you bump. *shrug*

I mean I've ridden them, and I've ridden them at a bunch of other places as well, and I can't say I've ever come off them thinking it was an especially exciting or worthwhile experience when compared to the same ride anywhere else. You drive, you bump. *shrug*

At this point it's obvious you're trolling. "Same" ride anywhere else? Bullshit!