TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

Just got back from the COAA rally and the park was the busiest I have seen it in June. Cars were parked in the overflow parking lots.

A word of warning to anyone wanting to ride the flying turns, or try to get a night ride on the flying turns. Apparently the park as taken the policy of if the line is too long to close the line down before the park closes. They closed the line at 9 PM because it was apparently still an hour wait even though the park was advertised open till 10 PM. This isn't posted anywhere at the park at all. So just be aware you may not be able to get on the ride if you do not get in line early.

I mentioned my disappointment to the PR staff with nothing more then a "meh, that is the policy on this ride".

Right, many smaller parks have these policies due to having less resources. Keeping rides open an hour past closing will require the park to have maintenance staff, ride operators, and managers in addition to many other park workers at the park when many of them have already been at work since the odd hours of the morning. Many of those same people need to be back to the park the next day at odd hours of the morning, so demanding them an extra hour of work has quite the impact on their energy and effectiveness as team members. It may sound selfish, but in reality many of those people needed to keep the park/rides open longer need some time to rest and have some life when they put 15 hours into each day at work. Simply adding more people and resources is not always cost-effective for a smaller park like Knoebels.

Going to be at knoebels a week from Tuesday(27th) for my first time ever and if anyone is going to be in the area and wants to show a rookie around feel free to pm me.

Get their early. As a non-gated park, you can take a relaxing stroll around the park while it's still quiet before things start to open. It's a great way to see the park without feeling like you're missing out on ride time. Ride the coasters either in the morning or afternoon/evening. The park typically only adds second trains if the line gets to a certain point and typically they don't hit that point until mid afternoon. Once they hit that point, with two trains, the lines fly, but if you get their at the awkward time just before they hit that point (usually around lunch), you might find yourself waiting a bit with only one train running. Hit the log flume... I think it's one of the better non-Orlando ones out there...

Great advice. I'll be there on 7/2, down from NH. We'll be leaving PGH in the morning and heading there, so that's a bit of a haul. Any suggestions on hotels in the area? We are kind of Omni, Hyatt, W, or Westin kind of people...best thing I could find was the "Pine Barn Inn"...had some of the best Tripadvisor reviews. Also, anywhere to grab some cocktails mid-day in the area? Nothing worse than a dry park.

Right, many smaller parks have these policies due to having less resources. Keeping rides open an hour past closing will require the park to have maintenance staff, ride operators, and managers in addition to many other park workers at the park when many of them have already been at work since the odd hours of the morning. Many of those same people need to be back to the park the next day at odd hours of the morning, so demanding them an extra hour of work has quite the impact on their energy and effectiveness as team members. It may sound selfish, but in reality many of those people needed to keep the park/rides open longer need some time to rest and have some life when they put 15 hours into each day at work. Simply adding more people and resources is not always cost-effective for a smaller park like Knoebels.

I certainly understand. The biggest problem is that this policy is not listed on the website, or on any signs at the park. I just wanted to give people a heads up.

We usually go 6 or 8 times a year so for me it isn't a big deal. Unfortunately my 6 year old left the park crying because he couldn't ride his new favorite ride. Had I known this policy we might of planned the day differently.

Right, many smaller parks have these policies due to having less resources. Keeping rides open an hour past closing will require the park to have maintenance staff, ride operators, and managers in addition to many other park workers at the park when many of them have already been at work since the odd hours of the morning.

They may not stay open an extra hour, but from my experience Knoebels always lets people already in the queue lines stay there when the park (or ride if said ride closes early) closes. More times than not, the people waiting in the queue lines have already paid for their rides, as the ticket-takers are usually stationed at the entrance to the rides' queues.

Right, many smaller parks have these policies due to having less resources. Keeping rides open an hour past closing will require the park to have maintenance staff, ride operators, and managers in addition to many other park workers at the park when many of them have already been at work since the odd hours of the morning.

They may not stay open an extra hour, but from my experience Knoebels always lets people already in the queue lines stay there when the park closes. More times than not, the people waiting in the queue lines have already paid for their rides, as the ticket-takers are usually stationed at the entrance to the rides' queues.

Yea I had not experienced that before. They had the line closed an hour before the park closed. Considering it a ticket only day (no all day ride bands) it took me by surprise. They usually keep the rides open late on ticket days if there are still crowds.

Hopefully they're just waiting on a sign. I can't think of any reason they wouldn't eventually put up signs in visible locations warning about this like other policies. Most parks seem to post visible warnings, so it's annoying when they don't (or arbitarily close earlier than a posted time). I guess they're expecting mostly locals who are used to it.

I had a similar, but more absurd experience last fall. It was roughly half an hour before closing, so we figured we would ride Phoenix one more time, then do the haunted antique cars to close out the night. When we went to get on Phoenix with 20 minutes 'til closing, both rides were still open. We get off Phoenix with 10 minutes to spare, only to find that they had closed the line for the cars early. Now, I completely understand closing an hour early to keep the staff from having to stay late, but 10 minutes is insane, especially when 4-5 groups MAX would have shown up in that time. We talked to management and got a similar "out of luck" sentiment, so we expressed our disappointment and politely pointed out that closing 10 minutes early with no notice is unheard of and gives negligible benefit to anybody. They've always been pretty good about customer service, but they've been knocked down a few notches in my book. At the VERY least, put up a sign.

Exit 232 (PA 42 - Buckhorn) is probably the best choice because there's a lot of development there - great for getting food and/or fuel on the way out. Lots of choices!

Great advice. I'll be there on 7/2, down from NH. We'll be leaving PGH in the morning and heading there, so that's a bit of a haul. Any suggestions on hotels in the area? We are kind of Omni, Hyatt, W, or Westin kind of people...best thing I could find was the "Pine Barn Inn"...had some of the best Tripadvisor reviews. Also, anywhere to grab some cocktails mid-day in the area? Nothing worse than a dry park.

We stayed at the Comfort Suites in Bloomsburg and loved it.

http://www.comfortsuites.com/hotel-bloomsburg-pennsylvania-PA393#listpos1

the location isn't fantastic (it's in a parking lot with a Lowes and a Wal*Mart). . but if you get a room facing the opposite side, the view is gorgeous.

all rooms were suites, and had a Microwave and a refrigerator (we stocked up at the Wal*mart with drinks and heated up leftovers in the microwave). The room also had a sofa-bed, and easily could have slept another 2-3 people.

they have a (small) pool and game room on the first floor, and a free continental breakfast in the morning (that was pretty decent for a free breakfast, including make your own waffles, eggs, and biscuits and gravy on the day we ate breakfast there, before driving on to Philadelphia). They also have a bar in the evening in the lobby (in the same area where they serve the breakfast, but we didn't partake).

they also had free internet access with a desktop computer in the lobby for guests to use (that's where I posted my Knobel's update on the Carousel Music Festival from).

best part? it's only about 15-20 minutes from Knobel's and was VERY easy to get to the park and back.

they were pretty full tho, so reserve if you want to stay there. . as they are very close to the fairgrounds.

Anyone know if Power Surge is up and running again, or if it's still in pieces? Will be there in a week and a half and that's one of my favorite flats, I hope I don't have to miss it!

Anyone know if Power Surge is up and running again, or if it's still in pieces? Will be there in a week and a half and that's one of my favorite flats, I hope I don't have to miss it!

we were there less than a week ago -- as of 6/14, still in pieces in the parking lot (behind picnic pavilions) and no apparent work being done on the slab (which was being used for a Carousel Music box).

haven't seen it mentioned, but 1001 Nachts is in pieces as well, with a sign that it's awaiting parts from Europe.

Aww. Too bad about Power Surge. I really hate to miss it...Not like there are a lot of them around in the US. I wonder what the holdup is? Parts for that too?

Has any real ground work started for their new coaster?

I don't think they'll be starting any of that during the season this year, since the attractions it's replacing are still up and running this summer.

I saw a few construction markers around the area last night, but nothing major.

Also had the worst Flyer operator I've ever seen, and it wasn't even one I had seen before. Is it just me, or are there no good Flyer operators left?

I didn’t quite feel the love for this park in the way that others on this board seem to. It struck me as somewhere between sketchy carnival and flea market with a few rides scattered around. It was a damp day, but that didn’t stop people from showing up in herds. I arrived early and got to watch the park come alive. I spent the 30 minutes or so acclimating myself to the park’s layout, and as soon as tickets were available, I bought a book and headed over to join the Flying Turns line that had started to form.

Once the park officially opened, the Flying Turns line was held at a standstill as the ride was running into some problems following the first test runs—issues with the sensor, it seemed. 20 minutes later, the ride still hadn’t opened, but I suspected that it would be the one attraction most susceptible to getting shut down in the rain (apparently rain makes it run slower), so I opted to wait a little longer. 10 mins later, we were told it might take another 45 minutes, so at that point I took off to try out the rest of the rides with the hope of returning later. I did get to ride it eventually, but it was quite a wait at that point.

Anyhow, some reviews and thoughts about what I did try out:

Phoenix (3 rides): I had read about it and had seen the TPR video with folks getting launched up in the air. I figured that was perhaps exaggerated, but that’s exactly what the ride did. The lack of seatbelt and a high up restraint allowed for some crazy airtime that, on my first ride, felt pretty terrifying, but on subsequent rides, I found to be more hilarious than anything.

I was told by another operator that I should ride it in the rain, and that I did. No lines for this one during the day, so I rode three times (front, back, middle). I found it fairly smooth for a ride of its age, and was surprised by how fast it took the unbanked turns. The airtime hills were crazy, starting with the double up/down section and then moving into the consecutive hill section. The front was certainly smoother than the back, but I didn’t really find much of a difference aside from that—it was airtime madness throughout. Overall, a great ride that certainly lived up to its reputation. 9/10.

Twister (2 rides): Fascinating layout with impressive visual appeal. The double lift-hill was unique and the first drop was fun, but I found much of the rest to be too brutal and worn down to enjoy. The color of the track and structure suggested that the first drop had been reconstructed at some point, but the rest of the ride could probably benefit from some work, too. Overall, an interesting design with some articulate parts, but it could really use some TLC. 5/10.

Haunted Mansion (3 rides): I’m sort of obsessed with these old school dark rides and had been looking forward to this one for a while. I ended up riding it three times, even though I was pretty familiar with the layout and the tricks. I loved it, but it did feel smaller than I’d imagined—quite compact and perhaps even more “old school” than I had expected. Fantastic, though, and far more funny than terrifying. You can tell that the park really cares about authenticity with rides like this. 9/10.

Black Diamond (2 rides): See above re: obsession. I was especially curious about the layout of this, and it’s a nice sized ride inside. They really made good use of the space, and the track is spread out economically. Lots of old-school effects that had been perked up a bit without making it feel too Disney or something. Plenty of cheese, but the cheese was well-served. I was quite surprised by the quasi-intimidating downward slopes as, given that the ride is clearly not set up to run like a coaster, there are moments when it feels like it’s about to become one. The drops are braked, but they grab and release which makes the train hurtle down parts of the slope and take the turn at the bottom a little faster than it seems like it should. A great ride that you can tell was restored with love. 9/10.

Flying Turns (1 ride): I really rode this for the credit—even though I don’t collect credits. It’s just one of those things that you have to say you did, I guess. As far as rides go, it’s not very good—short, boring, with terrible throughput. As far as structure and technology goes, it’s beautifully anachronistic and a real pleasure. Absolutely worth a ride despite it pulling the biggest line in the park (45 min wait for me), but just don’t expect much from the ride itself. 6/10.

Satellite (1 ride): I was planning on heading up to Sylvan Beach later in the week to re-ride their Laffland ride, and I knew they had this one there, but figured I’d try it out while at Knoebels. This was a little more intense and unnerving than I expected with some minor air as it looped over the top of its arc. Once I’d secured myself a bit, not expecting it to be quite as intense as it was, I enjoyed it more. But then it flipped on its side and I found that I had to fight to keep from getting launched into the mesh door. For those who haven’t ridden it, when the rotation shifts to horizontal, the cages still tilt back and forth. So, at one point, you’re in a comfortable, gravity-friendly position, but then it flips you so you’re facing outwards while it spins. That part sucked. Either way, a fun ride that I’m glad I got to take a ride on as I’d learn a couple of days later that Sylvan Beach wasn’t starting its season until late June. A fun, scary piece of machinery that looks more industrial than anything. 7/10.

Many of the other rides I watched but didn’t bother getting on. The fliers looked great, but I rode the ones at Hershey and so skipped it at Knoebels even though it looked better. A few other flats looked like they’d be kind of cool too, but I really was there for the coasters and the dark rides, and my attention was spent on them. A nice enough park, but more backwoods than I’d expected. The crowd was “interesting” and, at times, I couldn’t help but feel like some of the more Deliverence-style folks were actually in costumes to add authenticity to the place. Also, I don't eat greasy or fried food in any capacity (which tends to render theme park food out of the question), and here I grabbed a baked potato—nothing special whatsoever. But I suppose they're hardly catering to the more discernible palate. Fun place overall, but not the kind of place I'd return to.

Awesome report. I'm going there for the first time next week and pretty much only interested in the dark rides and coasters. Well, also the Fascination Parlor which is a slight obsession for me. I was hoping the place would be charming and a little hoaky as I'm dragging my wife there to spend a full day and she doesn't appreciate these kinds of things as I do. The hardest part was finding a nice hotel to stay at for the night...this little segway is sandwiched in between a 5 star hotel in Pittsburgh and then again in Philly. All the hotels seem far from the park and questionable. Looking forward to give the park a spin and very excited for the Black Diamond. I popped into Rye Playland last weekend and what I consider the holy grail of wonderful cheesy dark rides...I hope these measure up.

that must be the standard for Flying Turns, as we got in line at "open" too, and it was the very last thing that opened in the park. (we were just there on the 14th -- my trip report covers all the Penn parks we hit)

we loved Black Diamond, and I thought the Haunted House was grand.

too bad you didn't do the Chair Lift or the Whipper -- as those were also standouts at this park (as were the train, the Phoenix, and Twister). I also really enjoyed the Carousel Museum, it's great seeing all the old animals/seats.

and the bald Eagles were very cool (if you've never seen live ones before)

the biggest shame is that you skipped the food. This park is ALL about the food, and nearly everything was amazing (with majority of it neither greasy or fried). . tho the Fried Cheese on a Stick was the clear winner for us from Knoebel's

We made a point of riding the Whip at every park (all 4 we went to had em). . but like you, we also passed on the Flyers, having just ridden them at Hershey, and we too. . don't really "get" the excitement of the ride

Edited by bert425

Awesome report. I'm going there for the first time next week and pretty much only interested in the dark rides and coasters. Well, also the Fascination Parlor which is a slight obsession for me. I was hoping the place would be charming and a little hoaky as I'm dragging my wife there to spend a full day and she doesn't appreciate these kinds of things as I do. The hardest part was finding a nice hotel to stay at for the night...this little segway is sandwiched in between a 5 star hotel in Pittsburgh and then again in Philly. All the hotels seem far from the park and questionable. Looking forward to give the park a spin and very excited for the Black Diamond. I popped into Rye Playland last weekend and what I consider the holy grail of wonderful cheesy dark rides...I hope these measure up.

Comfort Suites in Bloomsburg.

seriously.

http://www.comfortsuites.com/hotel-bloomsburg-pennsylvania-PA393/Hotel-Photos

less than 15 minutes from the park, and very pleasant.

The fliers looked great, but I rode the ones at Hershey and so skipped it at Knoebels even though it looked better.

Not a wise decision.

Also, I don't eat greasy or fried food in any capacity (which tends to render theme park food out of the question), and here I grabbed a baked potato—nothing special whatsoever.

I found the Bison Burger to be a great healthy option.