TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

Maybe a Chance Hyper GT-X like the one that's being installed at KK? I think that's the closest the park will get to a mega lite.

There's a few used Schwarzkopfs out there. Maybe some of those?

OK, I'm done speculating. I'll just be patient and wait till the announcement.

^I think a B&M wingrider would be a bit weird as they don't have a tradition of steel coasters and this type of ride tends to be quite big which would make things even stranger, but who knows...

A RMC would enable them to keep their wood tradition and have a modern ride at the same time.

Maybe Mega-Lite would be too "modern" to fit in the park?

Mega-Lite... let's see. They've never worked with Intamin. It would be very expensive. Not very reliable. They have no place to put one. It has not even the slightest whiff of nostalgia, no connection to the past whatsoever. One doesn't exist in the US, meaning they wouldn't have found one by traveling to "at least three states". And it would have absolutely nothing that's marketable other than "trust us, it's a great ride". Why would it even be mentioned in this thread? Every time the words "Mega-Lite" is mentioned on this site, in the context of "speculation", I feel like there's sand being rubbed in my eye. But this would be one of the more ludicrous examples.

Mega-Lite... let's see. They've never worked with Intamin. It would be very expensive. Not very reliable. They have no place to put one. It has not even the slightest whiff of nostalgia, no connection to the past whatsoever. One doesn't exist in the US, meaning they wouldn't have found one by traveling to "at least three states". And it would have absolutely nothing that's marketable other than "trust us, it's a great ride". Why would it even be mentioned in this thread? Every time the words "Mega-Lite" is mentioned on this site, in the context of "speculation", I feel like there's sand being rubbed in my eye. But this would be one of the more ludicrous examples.

I agree with some of your points but not others.

Knoebels is positioning this as the fourth generation stepping out of the shadow of the third generation, so I wouldn't completely rule out something that is not traditional. And it'd easy to market since the existing models are so highly revered by enthusiasts. Also I don't recall any of the Mega Lite being unreliable. Lastly, Knoebels owns plenty of land.

With all that said your comments about the three states rule out an MegaLite.

2015 - New Project/Attraction - Rumor - (2/3/14) We know that a lot of the credit for the successful trains being used on the Flying Turns goes to former GCI mastermind (and now apparently retired) Mike Boodley. But if the latest wild rumor is true, it is hard to keep a good designer down and Boodley (and possibly GCI) may be involved in the attraction aspect of whatever Knoebels has up their sleeve for 2015.

According to one Screamscape source, a couple of years ago during one of Boodley’s many trips out to Knoebels to work on the Flying Turns, it’s said that he made it known that he would love to design a terrain coaster for Knoebels sometime that would run up the same hillside that the park’s chairlift goes up. With the Flying Turns project finally finished… could it be time to make this dream a reality?

Again… just a wild rumor this time… nothing even slightly concrete about it… yet…

Yeah, I agree, the Phoenix is the same way. It has history and the [well-deserved] awards, but I think to the "average" guest Twister seems more appealing because it's a taller, faster and longer coaster.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, a Mega Lite would technically be Knoebels' tallest coaster by a tenth of a foot, so there's that.

2015 - New Project/Attraction - Rumor - (2/3/14) We know that a lot of the credit for the successful trains being used on the Flying Turns goes to former GCI mastermind (and now apparently retired) Mike Boodley. But if the latest wild rumor is true, it is hard to keep a good designer down and Boodley (and possibly GCI) may be involved in the attraction aspect of whatever Knoebels has up their sleeve for 2015.

According to one Screamscape source, a couple of years ago during one of Boodley’s many trips out to Knoebels to work on the Flying Turns, it’s said that he made it known that he would love to design a terrain coaster for Knoebels sometime that would run up the same hillside that the park’s chairlift goes up. With the Flying Turns project finally finished… could it be time to make this dream a reality?

Again… just a wild rumor this time… nothing even slightly concrete about it… yet…

Wow! I feel clairvoyant! I totally said that last week! Now hopefully it will happen next year!

I definitely think this is going to happen. I'm pretty sure this is what Brian and Rick Knoebel have up their sleeves. And, I also spoke with Mike at length at the Golden Tickets day at CGA lunch in September, and although he is technically retired I could tell that he still had the passion to continue working and designing in some capacity. He actually let it slip a little that he had a vision for that mountainside at Knoebels.

Wow! I feel clairvoyant! I totally said that last week! Now hopefully it will happen next year!

I've been calling for this since like 2004; needless to say I'll be a little excited if it comes to fruition.

No, no, no, you got it all wrong, it isn't going to be a coaster. No, instead they will be bringing in a machine that has a knife that can cut four loaves of bread at one time. Do you know what it is called?

A FOUR-LOAF CLEAVER!!!

( after a long pause with no sound except a cricket)

Methinks I'll go and water the ducks.

I agree with some of your points but not others.

Knoebels is positioning this as the fourth generation stepping out of the shadow of the third generation, so I wouldn't completely rule out something that is not traditional. And it'd easy to market since the existing models are so highly revered by enthusiasts. Also I don't recall any of the Mega Lite being unreliable. Lastly, Knoebels owns plenty of land.

With all that said your comments about the three states rule out an MegaLite.

Has a new coaster ever in the history of coasters been marketed primarily as "revered by enthusiasts"? The Phoenix has its "classic" status, it's a landmark, you can't compare them. I've read MLs have reliability issues like almost all Intamin coasters. How much land Knoebels owns is nebulous, but it's safe to say all the land they own is mountainous and covered in trees. You really see them blasting out a big flat space for anything, let alone a Mega Lite?

The day any small US park gets a mega lite will be the day I officially eat my hat. I will videotape the event.

Also, the "long distance calls" clue would seem to rule out anything GCI-related.