TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

On the issue of steel coasters---Lets not forget Knoebels also had at least 2 other steel coasters within the last 30 years. They had a Jet Star (or Jet Star II, can’t remember), and a Vekoma double corkscrew coaster, both of which sat on the same site as The Flying Turns.

http://newsitem.com/news/knoebels-is-planning-big-project-for-2015-1.1626338

The fourth generation of the Knoebel family has found the amusement park's next big project.

Park officials have been quite secretive about the project slated for 2015 and will only say Brian and Rick Knoebel, sons of Dick Knoebel, and Trevor Knoebel, son of Buddy Knoebel, will lead the project.

Several teases announcing the "next big thing" at Knoebels started to appear this week on the park's Facebook site. An early announcement - albeit a tease - has parkgoers speculating that the project could be anything from a new steel rollercoaster to a fun house.

Joe Muscato, director of public relations, said Wednesday it will be a big project for the park and should be done "quite early" next year. Although he did not confirm the project is a new ride, he said it will have the same type of atmosphere as Knoebels' legendary projects, such as the Phoenix and the Flume. The park will reveal the new project gradually, Muscato said.

"It's the first big project for the next generation. It establishes that Knoebels will be Knoebels," Muscato said, referencing yearly rumors that the park will be sold to another amusement park. "It's the fourth generation stepping up and making their contributions."

Two new rides

In the interim, Muscato said staff is busy with infrastructure projects and restoring two classic children's rides that will be added to the park's growing list of nostalgic attractions.

A children's boat ride that operates on a track, unlike the park's current version which floats on water, and a pony cart ride, built by the W.F. Mangels Co., similar to one that ran at the now defunct Doodle Bug Park in Trevorton, should bring back some childhood memories, Muscato said.

"They need a fair amount of work, but we hope that one or both rides will be done this season," he said. "They are cute little rides that kids will get a kick out of."

What about a Euro Fighter? There are Euro fighters in 5 states but they didn't limit us to 3 states, and it seems like it would make sense as they're generally pretty affordable and compact.

I don't know, all the PR and stuff make me think that this is a big project. Using the word "legendary" also hints that the attraction is going to be completely amazing.

What about a Euro Fighter? There are Euro fighters in 5 states but they didn't limit us to 3 states, and it seems like it would make sense as they're generally pretty affordable and compact.

Yeah, I also would not consider a Euorfighter legendary. Don't get me wrong, some are great rides, but not many (if any) really shine as amazing.

The whole "next generation" part of the tease I think is the biggest clue. They keep referencing next generation of the Knoebel's family, but I have to wonder if the whole next generation could also refer to the type of ride they are building. The most obvious choice then would be a RMC wooden coaster to bring the park the next generation of wooden coasters. They're hyping the ride VERY early (which makes you think that construction could start soon) and said construction would be done early next year. Outlaw Run construction was also started quite early and the ride was completed quite early the following year. Outlaw Run only cost $10 million (relatively inexpensive) so that would seem to be right up the park's alley. Phoenix opened in 1985, Twister opened about 15 years later (1999), so it would only make sense that their next big coaster project would come ~15 years later (2015). 2015 is also the 30th anniversary of Phoenix opening at Knoebels, so a big new next generation wooden coaster to mark that anniversary would seem to make sense. Granted, this all could be wishful thinking, but it would be really nice to get a RMC so close!

Yeah, I also would not consider a Euorfighter legendary. Don't get me wrong, some are great rides, but not many (if any) really shine as amazing.

Unless they're building a Eurofighter based on plans found in an ancient Aztec pyramid.

Well, it appears that the kids will have some long-lost classics to look forwards too ( I mean, a boat ride on a track and a pony ride? I wonder what they would look like.).

As for the big 2015 attraction, methinks they will bring in a creature that big, red, and eats rocks. So what do you call a monster that's big, red, and eats rocks?

A BIG RED ROCK-EATER!!! What else?

Methinks I should depart before I get lynched.

Unless they're building a Eurofighter based on plans found in an ancient Aztec pyramid.

If they were to build a euro fighter like Speed at Oakwood, that's be pretty legendary.

Also, what about a mega lite?... Expensive, but great for a small park... Or any park for that matter

It might be wishful thinking, but an RMC makes some amount of sense. They could use a looping coaster, and it'd fit that bill while continuing the trend of wooden coasters. Plus, it seems to match all the other hints.

That said, they've got my business regardless of what they add.

According to Screamscape (which means it must be true), the 2015 project involves revamping the entrance for a new "sense of arrival." Screamscape has been wrong many times before, and this is far from a confirmation, but I though it was an interesting idea. http://www.screamscape.com/html/knoebels.htm

This must mean they are building an entrance with an RMC woody key-holing over the entrance with a Zero G Stall

In all seriousness, I've never really thought of Knoebels having a true "entrance" because of all the development surrounding it. I don't think you could really have a sense of "arrival" at Knoebels because of how many sides you can "enter" the park from - it sort of just "ends" in certain places.

I feel like if Knoebels really wanted to send a "you've arrived" message to guests they would have to completely fence off the surrounding area and filter all guest traffic through a single main entrance.

...but that's just my own thinking, you know how far that always goes.

As much as I love the unique quirkiness of almost everything about Knoebels, I think it would do them well to have some form of a main entrance or ticket booth very close to the main parking lot. If you are not a local, it's slightly confusing to find things in Knoebles as their layout is unique. I know they don't offer POP everyday, but it's a nice convenience for guests, especially out-of-towners, to have a main ticket booth right at the main entrance. If they aren't offering POP that day, the area could still serve as a nice information area for things such as maps, price lists, and guest services.

First impressions to a park or any business are everything. Simple things like a guest getting mixed up on where they get their ride tickets can actually start a day off pretty negatively; especially when they are carting around a bunch of excited kids. I even have experience with this as my park of employment is in the process of relocating ticket booths so they are right at the park entrances from the parking lots, because a common negative first impression is guests getting mixed up finding where to pay for rides.

I'm all about small park quirkiness, but some things need to be adjusted so that the average guest is comfortable and getting the perfect "Welcome to Our Park!"