TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

I also don't really see what there is to comment on - I mean, seven years on, we all knew it was going to be a fun ride but nothing extraordinary, and that's what we got.

I know at least one person who would disagree with you.

I also don't really see what there is to comment on - I mean, seven years on, we all knew it was going to be a fun ride but nothing extraordinary, and that's what we got.

I guess I just look at it this way - We will have hundreds of pages of comments on rides that aren't even built yet, and some of them being your basic most generic rides. Here we have something that is historic, hasn't been seen in DECADES, at a park that everyone loves, it took seven years to build and construct, and now that it has finally opened much to some of the most anticipation I've ever seen, it's been *crickets* the last few weeks it was open.

I assumed it would be a ride that as soon as it was announced open, and especially given there was only a handful of operating days before they closed for the season, that we would have seen a LOT more people head to the park and report on it.

Just a bit surprised at the lack of any reports on it, positive, negative, or neutral.

^ I agree with Robb. I thought all of the anticipation and waiting would have caused more of a turn out. I did not see anyone talking about it. When I was there during PPP it only had a hour and half wait which is normal for a park, even a park of this size. I was expecting 2-3 hours at the least. I am glad I was able to go and ride such a historical ride. While I was in line I was talking to a ACE member who is a lot older then me and he was telling me all about the older bob sleds and how much this resembles them. This ride is awesome I am glad it opened before I moved away from the area.

I think the lack of comments is for a couple of reasons. The ride ok and not a WOW experience and it opened late in the season with out much notice. Both of these contributed to the lack of comments. Had the coaster opened earlier in the Summer or had some build up, enthusiasts would have made plans to get to Knoebels to ride.

^ We have a TON of members who live less than 5 hours away from Knoebels. Just figured I'd see a few more pics or reports posted. I have zero interest in going to PPP, but if I still lived in the Baltimore area I absolutely would have made a visit up one of the other operating weekends.

Hopefully it will get a bit more attention next season...

I had originally planned on going to Phall Phunfest, but the TEA's SATE conference was the two days before (October 3 and 4) and I had to spend all of my Saturday in a plane.

THEN I planned on going the last weekend of Hallo-fun but midterm projects got in the way.

Someone really doesn't want me to ride this roller coaster.

• 1 month later...

So, we joke all the time about Flying Turns not opening on time, but Amusement Today brought the real story of the Flying Turns developments to light in their November 2013 issue.

The story has been republished on the National Roller Coaster Museum website. Check it out! http://www.rollercoastermuseum.org/design-and-engineering

Due to personal hardships unrelated to the Flying Turns endured by the Knoebel family, Boodley other team members, the process of bringing the ride to life stretched on further than any of them ever expected. This naturally led to unfair and undeserved criticism being directed toward the park. But it didn’t matter; the team had faith that they knew they would ultimately triumph.

So, we joke all the time about Flying Turns not opening on time, but Amusement Today brought the real story of the Flying Turns developments to light in their November 2013 issue.

The story has been republished on the National Roller Coaster Museum website. Check it out! http://www.rollercoastermuseum.org/design-and-engineering

Due to personal hardships unrelated to the Flying Turns endured by the Knoebel family, Boodley other team members, the process of bringing the ride to life stretched on further than any of them ever expected. This naturally led to unfair and undeserved criticism being directed toward the park. But it didn’t matter; the team had faith that they knew they would ultimately triumph.

Surprised Boodley worked on it. I know Steve Okomoto of Chance Morgan worked on it.

What a great article! Thanks so much for posting it!

It really is a great ride, I enjoyed it a lot. Everyone should go visit next year.

Yikes, that is majorly but to be fair, I've been pretty busy since September. Can't say I gave anything park related a thought until the email from Robb that reminded me! Sorry for having a life

That is awesome! I am miffed I goofed, would've loved to get out there in October but eh, next year!

Hope it's as sweet as it looks. Also, TPR trip out there next year pls?

Kristen knows nothing of Flying Turns and yet asked me again today (she asks about once a week) when we are going back to Knoebels!

The park is awesome, I don't care about any future additions or problems or issues with them as long as they keep Phoenix and the Phood!

The park is awesome, I don't care about any future additions or problems or issues with them as long as they keep Phoenix and the Phood!

I can't believe you just wrote "Phood", next you'll be taking pictures of roller coasters.

Edited by larrygator

Kristen knows nothing of Flying Turns and yet asked me again today (she asks about once a week) when we are going back to Knoebels!

I could not agree more here with you. I feel this park will always hold that charm that is has and I love that. Just goes to show you do not need to have the biggest baddest rides. All you need is a great experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agree! The food and Phoenix alone will get me to visit that park again!