TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

I think we should just call it a damn good amusement park and leave it at that.

+1

This is the only park that I have to visit every year. I'm so glad that they're still doing their own thing and not selling out to the Spanish or an RV company or having silly family court battles over control of the park.

I wish they'd become more corporate...then we might get a new major coaster sooner instead of once every 10-15 years. I love my home park, but another large woodie would go a long way in rounding out their collection.

The park still seems to add new rides on a regular basis. Not only that, but they added Black Diamond not too long ago and Flying Turns (which is another large woodie) is supposed to open sometime soon. In a lot of cases corporate parks will go years without adding rides. Knoebels is fine the way it is.

Completely disagree. They haven't added a major/adult coaster in 14 years...while they have added three solid family coasters in the meantime (Kozmo, Black Diamond, soon to be Flying Turns), they could really use another large® wood coaster. I'm not talking about a massive ride like Voyage/El Toro/etc., but something like Boulder Dash would be awesome. I know years ago there were rumors of them considering re-making the Rye Airplane Coaster or Idora Wildcat...either one of those would be awesome.

Most flat rides are a no-no for me because of motion sickness, so I go to parks pretty much strictly for roller coasters. I'd rather be 15 minutes from Hershey and an hour from Knoebel's instead of being 15 minutes from Knoebel's and an hour from Hershey like I actually am.

^Both of those rides would really be something! There is a plot of land directly behind Skloosh that is empty except for a relocatable picnic pavilion that almost perfectly matches the dimensions of the Airplane Coaster. I believe there might be some zoning issues to work out with that, though.

I went to Knoebel's yesterday for some fun and I did something that I somehow put off for a while. I rode the Phoenix. Now I haven't ridden many coasters. Probably the only two I could say I rode were the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in the Magic kingdom and the Black Diamond in Knoebel's. I have to say being the first ride it was a bit scary but I'm glad I had the chance to do so. Maybe next year I'll ride the Flying Turns (if it's open) and Twister to compare.

Other than that the park was very nice. I didn't see any signs for something new in the works, and the Flying Turns was silent yesterday.

Looking at the park, I keep trying to think where they could put a new ride. There is a big open space in front of the Phoenix for a flat ride, although there's danger in obscuring the view of the coaster. As mentioned earlier, there is a space near the Skloosh that is by the creek that has only a small pavilion there in case they needed to expand (near the bridge to the campground). If they got rid of the Bumper Boats (which I don't see used much and takes up a lot of land space), the Boat Tag, and a nearby pavilion, this would be an ideal space for a coaster that will run along side the main road going into the park. Then there's that one neglected building in the shape of a bread loaf (aptly named with a faded sign The Loaf) which I guess used to sell baked goods that could be the home of a new ride. Those are the areas that seem to be the most logical areas, even though they would require some demolition.

So it was a fun trip, and I can't weait to see what new things Knoebel's has in the future!

Not sure how they win "Best Food" year after year. Other than maybe being cheap, anytime we have eaten at the park it was just sort of "meh". My parents also went back to Knoebels for the first time in years this season and said they were both pretty disappointed by what they had gotten.

I think Dollywood had much better food offerings, as well as a few other parks (Busch Gardens, Universal/IOA, Disney)

I think that Knoebels does a very good job with standard "park" food, and I enjoy hitting some of the more unusual items at the food stands. But I think the Golden Ticket Awards need two categories now: one for "park" food and another for "dining." It really is silly that Epcot loses out in the "food" category to parks like Knoebels.

But let me reiterate that I do enjoy eating my way around Knoebels--it just can't compare to dinner and lunch at Epcot (particularly in the World Showcase).

I think that Knoebels does a very good job with standard "park" food, and I enjoy hitting some of the more unusual items at the food stands. But I think the Golden Ticket Awards need two categories now: one for "park" food and another for "dining." It really is silly that Epcot loses out in the "food" category to parks like Knoebels.

But let me reiterate that I do enjoy eating my way around Knoebels--it just can't compare to dinner and lunch at Epcot (particularly in the World Showcase).

Are there enough parks with real table service restaurants to merit forking out a second food category? I think this is just another artifact of the GTAs like Cedar Point winning best park every year. The good news is that may be ending soon:

Cedar Point Sandusky, Ohio 23%

Europa-Park Rust, Germany 22%

Cedar Point barely won this year. This is long overdue. While I find Epcot's food to be hit-or-miss, I agree that they do it better overall than other amusement parks and therefore should win the food category.

I'm not a fan of Knoebels food. However, I'm not too adventurous with park food and stick to bbq sandwiches and burgers mostly. I hear their pizza is good, but amusement park pizza has never been good at any other park, so I didn't try it at Knoebels either.

Yeah, you are doing yourself a disservice by not trying more than just your usual amusement park staples at Knoebels. It's the unusual food options that puts Knoebels on top each year not the hamburgers and barbeque. Walking Taco...

And I agree with Chuck, Epcot deserves the award. Via Napoli has some of the best pizza I have ever eaten.

Edited by ernierocker

^Epcot is not an amusement park, it is a shopping mall.

Knoebels' chefs are not going to win any culinary awards but the variety is what makes it stand out to me. Some rave about Cesari's, I am not a fan of Cesari's. It is better than most parks, but that doesn't make it great.

Some of my favorite options at Knoebel's are not widely offered at other parks: French Toast, Fried Cheese on a Stick, Pierogies, Bison Burger, Frozen Sweet Tea. I can't think of one park that offers more than one of the foods I listed.

I'm more of a "eat on the go" type, but I agree the Golden Tickets would be better served with two options for rating food: Table Service and Quick Serve.

I just had Cesari's last week and will say that it's definitely above average for amusement or theme park pizza...but 35 minutes to get two slices of pizza on a Friday night when you only have eight people standing in line in front of you was a bit ridiculous. If they had better queue line's, that would be a help to better the through-put for customers...was it just a bad night, or is this typical for Cesari's? And to agree with Larry, it was good, but wasn't epic and the wait was absolutely atrocious for the amount of people in line.

The rest of the park was it's typical awesomeness though...Phoenix was epic in the front seat!

Pork chop on a stick is a pretty fun option at Knoebels. Their soft serve is usually really good. And I think they do sweet stuff well in general. Some of the food though is obviously from frozen food service packs. The kind of stuff you could probably pick up in the freezer section of any Costco. Overall, they do have a nice variety and I can't think of any other park that does "park food" better.

Food wise I have to say their roast chicken (found at the Oasis certain nights) is awesome.

Cesari's Pizza is something I have while down there for supper.

Haven't really tried anything at the International Food Court or Phoenix Junction though.

Favorite snack food there had to be either the homemade fudge or the kettle corn.

We will definitely go with another food option the next time we visit. We lost at least one full hour standing in line and eating Cesari's and being that we didn't arrive at the park until 6:00 PM (yes, we had planned on arriving earlier), we lost valuable ride time waiting for (& eating) mediocre pizza slices.

And that was around 8:30 at night so I couldn't even imagine what the wait must have been like between 5-7 PM!?!