TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

^^There's definitely an element of the enthusiast community that is up and ready to hate on anything they perceive as a delay. Twitter caught fire when Knotts had to delay the log ride reopening by a single day, various Disney fansites are up in arms about the Seven Dwarfs coaster not being open yet (despite it being announced for 2014), SFMM didn't announce a specific date for Yolocoaster but still copped criticism because it wasn't open by Memorial Day. So this sort of commentary is hardly surprising.

Flying Turns might have taken a long time, but given they are developing a type of ride that hasn't been seen for decades that's to be expected. Hopefully the end product will make their efforts worth it!

They really shouldn't even bother responding to most of the posts, but they did kind of bring this upon themselves with all of their hints and trying to open it all of a sudden after 238497 years or however long it's been.

It's funny all the complaints a little mom & pop park can have against them...

But then big corporate park announces what looks to be a mediocre-at-best design with an 80 foot high ending, and the fans are friggin foaming at the mouth.

I'll be at Knoebels this October for PPP, Flying Turns open or not.

I really think that most of the stuff posted about Flying Turns TPR is just friendly kidding. The park is much beloved. Facebook pages, who can say?

Edited by cfc

Similar case with Knoebels... Holiday World, the "mom & pop park that could" gets it's signature ride called crap...

Meanwhile, a few hours away, at big corporate park, Maverick beats the hell out of necks and heads and nobody complains.

It's funny all the complaints a little mom & pop park can have against them...

But then big corporate park announces what looks to be a mediocre-at-best design with an 80 foot high ending, and the fans are friggin foaming at the mouth.

I'll be at Knoebels this October for PPP, Flying Turns open or not.

A little cranky last night?

We do not discriminate with what type of park we complain about on TPR, thank you very much.

They really shouldn't even bother responding to most of the posts, but they did kind of bring this upon themselves with all of their hints and trying to open it all of a sudden after 238497 years or however long it's been.

All of a sudden?

I could use some opinions. Is Phunfest worth going to? I'm thinking about going and it would be my first time to Knoebels.

I have gone almost every year since 2007 and I would say YES. However, that's mostly because I've always gone with an awesome group of friends. If you want shorter lines, or want to avoid ACERs, it's not the time to go. That said, it's fun to be there with a lot of other people who just love to ride, and they run the Flyers much faster than they do on general operating days.

If you do go, my suggestion would be to do the Saturday evening PPP event, and Sunday afternoon ride band. Saturday afternoon has gotten really crazy for lines with the PPP attendees mixing in with the Covered Bridge Festival people. Whereas Sunday is usually pretty dead.

Also, the Cesari's pizza is nowhere near as good on Saturday evening as it is every other time. They pull them out too quick to feed the massive amount of PPP attendees, and the crust doesn't get crisp.

A little cranky last night?

I guess I might have been a bit, sorry

It's the inner-child-still-a-punk that wants to get loud over the mom & pop parks. Good points made, people really do say stupid things about the big "corporate parks" as well. I guess I just don't see those as much cuz I don't pay attention to their facebook pages. Thanks for the heads up, guys

I love the big parks, too.

Is Knoebels realy to be considered a "little mom & pop" park though, really?

Considering some of the Knoebels family lives in a house in the middle of the park, and the park is still managed and owned by Knoebels. Yes, I'd say it's completely "mom & pop".

Considering this is a multi million dollar operation, employs the most people in the county and a wide radius, they continue to expand, and let's face it, the Knoebel family has money. They really could do a lot of things with that park but just want to create a persona for the park that they have continued to keep attached to it for years and years.

Considering this is a multi million dollar operation, employs the most people in the county and a wide radius, they continue to expand, and let's face it, the Knoebel family has money. They really could do a lot of things with that park but just want to create a persona for the park that they have continued to keep attached to it for years and years.

Although I'm sure they do want to preserve the persona of their park, I think they're limited in how much they can expand by how much land they own. According to everything I've ever heard, nobody surrounding the park wants to sell anything. In fact, people say they don't even own their parking lot, they lease it.

Is Knoebels realy to be considered a "little mom & pop" park though, really?

Considering some of the Knoebels family lives in a house in the middle of the park, and the park is still managed and owned by Knoebels. Yes, I'd say it's completely "mom & pop".

Can we call it a "little mom and pop" and "brother and sister" and "son and daughter" park

Are we seriously arguing over whether or not Knoebels is a mom-and-pop park? Seriously. They employ the most people in their rural mountain county, they're positively corporate!

People

every amusement park is a company

The "small feel" is always awesome but...well guess Im a cold bastard, let's be real. Parks are run for profit are they not? That settles that right there

And yeah, we always lament the big parks but they are 'big' for a reason, after all. Knoebels is awesome but you dont exactly get the selection of CP or even Hershey, nor the often expansions.

But its a damn good company! Really have to sneak Knoebels in this year, one upside to its smaller size, I dont mind going alone when I visit some PA friends! Edit: Or this thing that's going down in October perhaps

Are we seriously arguing over whether or not Knoebels is a mom-and-pop park? Seriously. They employ the most people in their rural mountain county, they're positively corporate!

People

every amusement park is a company

The "small feel" is always awesome but...well guess Im a cold bastard, let's be real. Parks are run for profit are they not? That settles that right there

And yeah, we always lament the big parks but they are 'big' for a reason, after all. Knoebels is awesome but you dont exactly get the selection of CP or even Hershey, nor the often expansions.

But its a damn good company! Really have to sneak Knoebels in this year, one upside to its smaller size, I dont mind going alone when I visit some PA friends! Edit: Or this thing that's going down in October perhaps

Not every company is a corporation, there's a big difference. And nobody is saying they're running a charity. And nobody is even talking about which is better, small parks or big parks, because they're two different things and there's no reason to compare them. So your post is completely pointless.

This is the dumbest conversation I've seen on this forum. Knoebels IS a small mom and pop park. Next topic, please.

I wish they'd become more corporate...then we might get a new major coaster sooner instead of once every 10-15 years. I love my home park, but another large woodie would go a long way in rounding out their collection.

The park still seems to add new rides on a regular basis. Not only that, but they added Black Diamond not too long ago and Flying Turns (which is another large woodie) is supposed to open sometime soon. In a lot of cases corporate parks will go years without adding rides. Knoebels is fine the way it is.

I never said the park is corporate. I am just implying the park runs on more assets than people may realize, especially considering they are all cash. There is something in between "mom and pop" and "corporate".

Not every company is a corporation, there's a big difference. And nobody is saying they're running a charity. And nobody is even talking about which is better, small parks or big parks, because they're two different things and there's no reason to compare them. So your post is completely pointless.

This is the dumbest conversation I've seen on this forum. Knoebels IS a small mom and pop park. Next topic, please.

Calm down. There is absolutely no reason for you to be talking to other members like this. You do not control what we discuss in this thread. Rather or not a conversation in a thread is pointless is up to the discretion of the moderators and Robb and Elissa. Please show a little more discretion in your posts from now on. Thanks.

P.S. Considering you just came off a 1-week ban for doing the exact same thing, you REALLY need to start being more respectful in your posts.

Edited by ernierocker