TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

Pleased to see more successful testing of Flying Turns, especially considering we plan to visit next year. It's probably wise to avoid reading those comments on Facebook, far too much nonsense being spouted.

Whoever the Knoebels webmaster is, they are my new hero. They're laying the smackdown on the morons commenting on that video. Pretty hilarious.

I was just thinking the same thing. Some of those responses were wonderful. I definitely wouldn't be able to handle the replies as well.

Does each car hold 1 person, 2 people, what? I mean whatever it is this thing will be a capacity nightmare. Still looks like kind of a fun ride though.

They hold 2 riders each car, however, the park has already stated there WILL be a weight limit per car. I'm assuming two smaller people, like Elissa and KidTums will be able to ride together, but if it's a larger person, like someone my size, they will most likely have to go alone.

There are three trains with three cars each.

It won't be the highest capacity ride in the world, that's for sure, but at least the Knoebels crews are usually REALLY EFFICIENT!

Edited by robbalvey

I am going to be there Monday-Wednesday next week, if they plan on having it be open for labor day, perhaps a soft open during the week to work some of the kinks out? A man can dream anyway.

They've had seven years to work out the kinks. I would not expect it to be open, sorry.

Edited by robbalvey

It looks like any other bobsled coaster...but made of wood. What am I missing?

Different layout than a bobsled. Not that all bobsleds have the same layout, of course, but they don't do this:

Different layout than a bobsled. Not that all bobsleds have the same layout, of course, but they don't do this:

I gotta be honest, after watching the video, and having been on pretty much every bobsled coaster in the world, I agree with Wes. The top-down layout means nothing to me. It's all about how a coaster rides. The ride looks *FUN*, don't get me wrong, but I can't see how the ride experience is *that* much different than some other similar rides I've been on, other than it's made out of wood.

I of course will of course reserve judgement until I ride, but I can set my own personal expectations based on what has been released over the years...

I gotta be honest, after watching the video, and having been on pretty much every bobsled coaster in the world, I agree with Wes. The top-down layout means nothing to me. It's all about how a coaster rides. The ride looks *FUN*, don't get me wrong, but I can't see how the ride experience is *that* much different than some other similar rides I've been on, other than it's made out of wood.

I of course will of course reserve judgement until I ride, but I can set my own personal expectations based on what has been released over the years...

I was thinking along the lines of the Mack brand like Avalanche at Kings Dominion. Still looks a flat out "FUN" ride....only time and a ride will tell.

The other reality is that the USA doesn't have many good "bobsled" coasters. Kings Dominion's Avalanche is probably the weakest of the Mack ones I've been on, and the Intamin (or really Giovanola versions) were really just "ok."

But even the BEST Mack Bobsled (Parc Asterix, Europa, or Heide) are really at best a good "family" ride and a C+/B- coaster in the grand scheme of things.

So it will be VERY interesting to see how this matches up to those.

Edited by robbalvey

It looks like a nice "fun" ride. It's not going to be OMFG amazing like some enthusiasts are touting it to be, it's not going to be the most boring ride either. It will be a nice fun ride. But really, when Phoenix is at the same park it's going to take something amazing to keep me from marathoning that.

The other reality is that the USA doesn't have many good "bobsled" coasters. Kings Dominion's Avalanche is probably the weakest of the Mack ones I've been on, and the Intamin (or really Giovanola versions) were really just "ok."

But even the BEST Mack Bobsled (Parc Asterix, Europa, or Heide) are really at best a good "family" ride and a C+/B- coaster in the grand scheme of things.

I agree with this--and it never hurts for a park to put in a good family coaster.

Knoebels really needed something like this.

I Look at it kind of the same way, it doesn't really matter how intense or crazy it is, it's going to be another big family fun coaster that anyone can ride and enjoy, and it will definitely be a hit at the park. It -does- pick up some pretty good speed there in the lower part, so i have a pretty good feeling about it.

at any rate, REALLY happy to see it coming along and apparently, heading FINALLY to it's grand opening day.

I think the biggest difference is going to be the train length. Having the shorter trains on FT probably allows for more articulation/swinging on the straightaways, especially on the bottom level of the Triple-8. This looks more out of control(ish) than Mack bobsleds, but it could just be the wide angle lens combined with where the camera is mounted creating a tunnel vision effect.