TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

The layout of a Flying Turns looks nothing like the layout of a bobsled. Presumably, this affects the maneuverability of the cars.

What I'd like to know is, what was "unsafe" about the original Flying Turn car design? You'd think that if there were ever actually any problems with it, someone would know something. But I've never heard of any.

It sounds like it's really going to be 3 cars per train instead of 5 now. That's sure a hit to the throughput! Hopefully they're still going with their original plan of 3 trains.

I know this has probably been explained before, but I still don't understand how making the trough wooden instead of metal suddenly makes the ride so much harder to make safe.

In laymans turns maintenance is more expensive difficult and it's really not the trough it's the train design that's the real trouble I can't properly explain so I won't try.

I know this has probably been explained before, but I still don't understand how making the trough wooden instead of metal suddenly makes the ride so much harder to make safe.

In laymans turns maintenance is more expensive difficult and it's really not the trough it's the train design that's the real trouble I can't properly explain so I won't try.

Thank you for not trying to explain. With the manner in which you write, I'm not sure anyone would understand you anyway.

What I'd like to know is, what was "unsafe" about the original Flying Turn car design? You'd think that if there were ever actually any problems with it, someone would know something. But I've never heard of any.

Not sure if this has been linked to in this thread yet but it offers a lot of interesting information on FT, it's a photo journal from someone who got the opportunity to take a guided tour through the coaster with the main guy who's working on it: http://www.rollercoasterphilosophy.com/2012/fredx-photos/

Quote that directly relates to your question:

Part of the problem with re-creating the Flying Turns is that the new cars have to be a lot heavier and more rigid than their predecessors. If you look at photos of the old Flying Turns, you'll notice that many of the people rode them with their arms crossed over their chest. Mike offered a theory that this was because the original cars would flex in a way that the slats between the wood planks on the seat and floor would open and close in a way that your fingers could easily get jammed.

It says elsewhere that modern safety standards require all four wheels to be on the track at all times, which almost certainly wasn't the case with the lighter weight trains (at times a wheel might lift off the track going around a turn).

Hello all!

I just got back from my visit to Knoebels yesterday. So I guess this will be my mini review!

Let's start with what's new!

First off Stratosfear! This tower ride is nearby the newer rides like Wipeout and Fandango as well as the oldies but goodies of The Phoenix and the Antique Cars. Riders are slowly lifted to the top and then dropped. My only complaint is that the ride seems short from an onlooker. (Then again I didn't ride it so I don't know from a rider's perspective) The tower is actually the tallest ride in the park (I think even taller than the Giant Wheel) and has a very impressive lighting package at night.

Other additions to the park include: a Crazy Sub ride near the Rockin Tug, a Balloon Darts game, and a new Security Gazebo and Ticket areas near the Stratosfear.

Now for some upgrades!

Strangely it seems the Haunted Mansion got some additional sound effects during the ride. Anyone want to confirm this? I wish that ride got an upgrade. There needs to be some new haunts as well as the classic elements getting some TLC.

The Black Diamond got some nice exterior theme upgrades since my last ride on it in 2011. The building facades near the loading platform were given a nice aged look and fake cobwebs were added to the overhead lights. Fake windows with silhouettes of miners in them were added to the black face of the building as well as the words "Black Diamond Mining Company." It really completes the package of a great ride!

One thing else that needs some TLC is the Laser Runner. The game is starting to show its age and needs upgrades all around.

Sadly, Flying Turns was not opened and not testing (although I expected this). Hopefully next year. (crosses fingers).

Knoebels was the first park I visited when I was eight and is the closest to my house. It always holds a great place in my heart and I love the Free Parking, Free Admission, and Free Entertainment. Hope to see what new things will appear next year at that fun park!

I still can't believe they're still working on it after 7 years! There's no way it will live up to that much anticipation! I'm still really excited for it, but it just amazes me that they refused to just drop it at some point.

Edited by jray21

Not sure if this has been linked to in this thread yet but it offers a lot of interesting information on FT, it's a photo journal from someone who got the opportunity to take a guided tour through the coaster with the main guy who's working on it: http://www.rollercoasterphilosophy.com/2012/fredx-photos/

Quote that directly relates to your question:

Part of the problem with re-creating the Flying Turns is that the new cars have to be a lot heavier and more rigid than their predecessors. If you look at photos of the old Flying Turns, you'll notice that many of the people rode them with their arms crossed over their chest. Mike offered a theory that this was because the original cars would flex in a way that the slats between the wood planks on the seat and floor would open and close in a way that your fingers could easily get jammed.

It says elsewhere that modern safety standards require all four wheels to be on the track at all times, which almost certainly wasn't the case with the lighter weight trains (at times a wheel might lift off the track going around a turn).

Interesting--and another reason no one has built one of these since, I guess, the 1940s? It does sound like Knoebels is getting closer to having the ride ready, though.

I wish it would open this summer but that's a huge dream! Watch I will end up moving to TX and then it will be open next summer.

I think they keep working at it because they know the hype its causing in the enthusiast world. They know once its open people from everywhere are going to come and to them that means $$.

Wow. Those trains do look finished!

Very good sign.

As for the reasons why it's not done, consider that Knoebels had to deal with two major floods (I think 2009 and 2012), the fact that Flying Turns rides were built between the 1920s and 1940s and that all plans and coasters like those are gone save for vague photos, and the need for heavier trains for safety regulations.

The good news is the track looks 100% finished and well-maintained so it comes down to the trains.

Hello all! I'll be going to Knoebels for the first time (which is nuts since I only live 3 hours away). Any tips or anything? Is the one-day pass worth it? Also, I have heard the food is dericious there, but what are must-eats? Also which rides are the best?

Hello all! I'll be going to Knoebels for the first time (which is nuts since I only live 3 hours away). Any tips or anything? Is the one-day pass worth it? Also, I have heard the food is dericious there, but what are must-eats? Also which rides are the best?

For the one day pass it depends on the price for the day you visit (They do deals often). We done the math and some days it can be cheaper to use tickets vs the POP plan. But just depends on how much you plan to ride (Note that the dark rides are not included in the wristband).

For tips I would definatly don't miss the classic flats like the Flyers, Skooters, Looper, Sky Slide, and the Carousel.

For food I always make a point to get a pulled pork sandwich from the potato barn. The international food court also offers some good eats. Also if you get to the park early you can get breakfast in the park, it's pretty good and decent priced.

Enjoy your trip!

which is nuts since I only live 3 hours away

Haha i live just about 1 hour away and i have yet to visit! I need to soon

What are you waiting for? Go! Tomorrow! Do it! It's a tremendous gift to live so close to this awesome park, don't squander it. It doesn't even cost anything to get in!

I was at the park for over 6 hours, and the wristband wasn't worth it. Also, a front seat ride on Phoenix is amazing. It is definitely worth the longer wait! And you shouldn't miss Fandango either. That was one of my favorite rides in the park.

Enjoy your visit!

Hello. I haven't actually done the Pay one Price Plan so I can't say. Mainly it depends on how many rides you're willing to ride. A typical family ride (Carousel, Giant Wheel, etc.) will be from $1.00 to $1.50. The Thrill Rides and Roller Coasters will be $1.50 to $2.50.

Rides I would recommend are The Phoenix, Twister, Black Diamond, The Whipper (a W.F. Mangles from 1906), The Haunted Mansion, The Flyer, The Looper, Stratosfear (drop tower), the Pioneer Train, and the Giant Wheel.

Food wise, there's The Alamo, the park's only restaurant. Other favorites include: Kettle Corn, The Mill Ice Cream, and Cessari's Pizza.

• 2 weeks later...